Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 15:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Raymarine SPX-30 Power Source

FWIW I'll be installing a SPX-30 shortly. It will replace an SPX-5. And I'll try out having the SPX-30 drive the Wheel motor as well as the pump.

The SPX-5 is powered directly from the navstation sub panel. The current max of the SPX-5 is wel; within the nav station panels capabilities. But, The SPX-30 can draw close to 40 amps under heavy load (depending on many factors).

If I were to wire the SPX-30 to the nav panel the load of the SPX-30 would eclipse all other loads on the panel and could or more likely would introduce significant noise into the power feeds to the other instruments on that panel. Radar, WindSpeedDepth, AIS, VHF, etc.

To prevent that risk I intend to wire the power to the SPX 30 thus:

Main 12 volt bus to 50 amp circuit breaker, to Tyco relay, to SPX-30. All this wire would be #6 or #4 and the length would be kept to a minimum. The wire from the SPX-30 to the pump would also be #6 or #4.

The existing breaker on the nav sub-panel would be then used to power the relay and thus turn the SPX-30 on.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 16:17   #17

Boat: KP 46

I had an spx30, (I just replaced it with their new Evolution model after a lightning strike.) My X30 started to make a little clunk when power was applied to it, I never found out what it was because it did not do it all the time, and I am mostly by myself and the CB panel is a ways away, but my guess would be on power up it momentarily applies power to the drive motor. That is just a guess. I never had any problems with it, but always was intrigued by the little thump.

As far as connections etc, pull the cover off and see if the power led for the clutch is on. (one led for 12 another for 24)There is also another led that is an indicator for the switch for power to the Seatalkng bus, in your case you are not using it but you can switch it to "on" to see if the led lights. While you are there, check the wires. The power leads and the leads to the solenoid/drive are the same size (large) and are screwed to the terminal panel. But the other wires (small) are screwed to removable terminals that you can pull off push on. Just make sure they are all secure, then also check the back of your control head. I sounds like a simple intermittent connection problem. One note, the X30 uses auto fuses, they can look good but always best to meter them.

Good luck,

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 16:24   #18

Boat: KP 46

one more note on that pilot, this from Raymarine:

The message of “No Pilot” means that the ST7002 control head is not seeing the course computer. What you need to do is measure power on the SeaTalk port that the wire from the ST7002 control head attaches to on the course computer. Between the Red and Gray connection you should see a steady 12v. And between the Gray and Yellow you should see oscillating voltage between 5 and 12v. If the voltages are wrong on the course computer then the course computer is bad and needs to be repaired. If the voltages are good then you need to measure on the other end of the SeaTalk cable where it attaches to the ST7002 control head. You remove the SeaTalk cable from the back of the ST7002 control head and would put your black lead from the multi-meter in the center port of the SeaTalk cable and the red lead from the multi-meter into one of the other ports. On one side it should be a steady 12v and on the other side you should see oscillating voltage between 5 and 12v. If the voltages are good here, then your ST7002 control head is bad and in need of repair. If the voltages are bad then you have a bad SeaTalk cable.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:02   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473

Michael,

This turned out to be spot on. After testing the system and getting a constant 12 volts from the course computer we replaced it ((on our own) with a new ACU-400 and EV-1. Everything lit up and appears to be working fine. Raymarine support was very helpful in backing this method. The boat is in service at the marina for another issue so a sea trial will have to wait a couple of days. Thanks to all for the valuable input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
one more note on that pilot, this from Raymarine:

The message of “No Pilot” means that the ST7002 control head is not seeing the course computer. What you need to do is measure power on the SeaTalk port that the wire from the ST7002 control head attaches to on the course computer. Between the Red and Gray connection you should see a steady 12v. And between the Gray and Yellow you should see oscillating voltage between 5 and 12v. If the voltages are wrong on the course computer then the course computer is bad and needs to be repaired. If the voltages are good then you need to measure on the other end of the SeaTalk cable where it attaches to the ST7002 control head. You remove the SeaTalk cable from the back of the ST7002 control head and would put your black lead from the multi-meter in the center port of the SeaTalk cable and the red lead from the multi-meter into one of the other ports. On one side it should be a steady 12v and on the other side you should see oscillating voltage between 5 and 12v. If the voltages are good here, then your ST7002 control head is bad and in need of repair. If the voltages are bad then you have a bad SeaTalk cable.

Michael

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine