Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 19:35   #16

Boat: Leopard 47ft "Pussy Galore"
Re: Problems with Raymarine ST7001 Autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The drive on the wheel is likely to be a wheelpilot using the same control head as the below deck pilot.

It is possible the switch is bad and allowing the control head to give instructions to both units, which then operate against each other. Try disconnecting the wires on the switch going to the wheel drive and see if the below deck drive works correctly. Alternately, if you have the ability to turn off the power to just the wheel drive (or pull the plug on it, or whatever), that will work for testing.

Do the rudders turn freely when the pilot is disengaged? Nothing tangling up in the steering?

Mark
I disconnected the wheel drive and found that there was nothing at the rudder upon reconnecting the wheel drive and disconnecting the rudder I found that there was some resistance but not enough to hold a coarse. I then tested the power into the switch to find there was very little power so it appears that I have a problem in my electrical circuit which I will test and get to the bottom of this problem . I would like to thank all that have contributed to my tail of woe. Cheers.
Peter Richardso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:45   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Richardso View Post
I disconnected the wheel drive and found that there was nothing at the rudder upon reconnecting the wheel drive and disconnecting the rudder I found that there was some resistance but not enough to hold a coarse. I then tested the power into the switch to find there was very little power so it appears that I have a problem in my electrical circuit which I will test and get to the bottom of this problem . I would like to thank all that have contributed to my tail of woe. Cheers.
I suspect that the problem isn't in the circuit between the battery and the autopilot computer, but rather between the AP computer-switch-drive unit.

Or the clutch circuit, since that also needs to be switched.

But it is best to check the main battery-to-AP computer circuit first, since it is very easy to do and will give you an ensured baseline to work off of.

How did you measure "power" into the switch - voltage or amperage? What were the measurements you got?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 16:05   #18

Boat: Leopard 47ft "Pussy Galore"

Finally after getting a Raymarine techo involved and for him to get the time to come out to the boat, the auto pilot computer was found to be faulty I might add here that there was nothing wrong with the clutches, the unit was then sent off to see if the problem could be repaired. The unit was about 10 years old so the likelihood of having parts to fix it were very slim. After the service centre checked it over it was deemed to take to long to find the actual problem with the unit so they suggest a new unit at a cost of $2400 aud. This will be replaced in a couple of days so my auto pilot will be up and running again. Thanks to all those that contributed.
Peter Richardso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 16:53   #19

Boat: Ross 780
Bugger, the worst case scenario for you.

Any chance of getting the old one back? I'll be down your way in November for the Heaven Can Wait and could collect it then to take a look at it for you (although don't hold your breath for it to be fixed).

Also, you might need a remote control to go with your new autopilot :-)

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, raymarine