Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 15:06   #1

Boat: Van De Stadt zeebonk 29ft
Problem with Nexus NX WSI-box

Hi,

I bought my boat 3 months ago, it has a Nexus wsi box and triducer installed. Today I bought the display for the system and I started to connect the components together and thought that this should be easy.. but I was wrong...

When I connect the wsi box to the battery the voltage drops from 12v to approx. 5v, what might be the problem?

I tried to search from web, but it seems like no one has had problems with Nexus NX series...

Best regards jani
jani74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 22:02   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Check your battery and connections are ok. If the wsi unit was dropping the voltage that much with a good battery and connection, i'd expect to see the magic smoke coming out.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:31   #3

Re: Problem with Nexus NX WSI-box

Hi,

Thanks for Your advice.

I replaced the battery, and the connections.. But nothing..

Wrote an email to product support, but due to the fact that I live in Finland the email was rejected and I was adviced to contact local dealer.. I was at local dealer website and from that page I sent the email.

But the search for the problem continues.

-jani

Ps. there might be typos in my text, haven´t been writing this kind of text in english for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Check your battery and connections are ok. If the wsi unit was dropping the voltage that much with a good battery and connection, i'd expect to see the magic smoke coming out.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:15   #4

There are couple of pictures in my gallery of the components. The sea data set package is the one that has been in the boat when I bought it, I think it has included the sea data instrument+wsi+triducer.

-jani
Old 08-06-2014, 15:54   #5

I had the same unit I installed new in my previous boat with 0 issues and there is no way it could load up a battery that much without doing serious and obvious damage. These are low power drawing devices. If your battery and connections are ok double check that you have wired it to the transducers and displays correctly. I'd also especially check the point where the small crimp terminals are connected to the wiring at the wsi terminal strip. If these weren't done properly it's possible you'd get the reading you are getting.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38   #6

It's alive... there was a faulty switch/fuse pack that was causing this problem... took 'em off and just put a new fuse and it started working fine.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2014, 16:25   #7

Good stuff!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58   #8

Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing the errors on the depth value. At some points it shows the correct depth, but sometimes it shows something unbelievable deep values, and most of the time it shows just ------ .

Best regards
Jani
Old 08-07-2014, 15:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jani74 View Post
Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing the errors on the depth value. At some points it shows the correct depth, but sometimes it shows something unbelievable deep values, and most of the time it shows just ------ .

Best regards
Jani
The "----" reading occurs at water depths greater than 100 m (from memory) so the "----" display and incorrect deep depth display are essentially the same thing possibly indicating that the transducer is either not sending / receiving a good signal or there is a disruption to this signal along the circuit to the wsi unit.

Another remote possibility could be location of the transducer. I had the system that uses the 2 x 42mm through hulls and had a very strange problem with mine related to the speed log in that it absolutely refused to work in one through hull and would only work when swapped to the other. The depth sounder happily worked in either. I can only assume it was turbulence causing the problem (and, yes, the paddle wheel was orientated correctly in both locations!). Perhaps there is something affecting your depth transducer at it's mounting? This is easy enough to test by hanging the transducer over the side if length of lead permits or even just shooting through the hull in a nearby location if possible with your boat.
Old 23-09-2020, 11:10   #10

Hi!
I know it's an old post but I have quite the same problème, every time I connect the swi Box the input voltage drops to 1.6 / 2v.
Which fuse are you talking about? I checked inside the box but couldn't find any...
Ray
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 11:21   #11

It was an external switch/fusebox that was faulty.

Have You tested the wsi box with external power supply, or battery?

I’d try to connect the wsi directly to a full loaded battery and check does the voltage drop. Might be a good idea to put an inline fuse to the +wire while testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray122 View Post
Hi!
I know it's an old post but I have quite the same problème, every time I connect the swi Box the input voltage drops to 1.6 / 2v.
Which fuse are you talking about? I checked inside the box but couldn't find any...
Ray
Old 23-09-2020, 11:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jani74 View Post
It was an external switch/fusebox that was faulty.

Have You tested the wsi box with external power supply, or battery?

I’d try to connect the wsi directly to a full loaded battery and check does the voltage drop. Might be a good idea to put an inline fuse to the +wire while testing.

I couldn't find any fuse on the circuit until the 12v. Only one switch that switches on all the instruments on the cockpit. But I'll try what you say, nothing to loose :-)
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote