Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2023, 14:51   #1

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Pactor PTC-IIusb modem

My yacht came with a Pactor PTC-IIusb modem which I don't need and want to sell. How do I find out if its been upgraded to a Pactor 3?
I've looked at the Pactor website and there is no clear answer to my question there.
There are cables for an ICOM 802 SSB and the usb cable to connect the modem to my boat's laptop computer.

The computer is running Windows 10. I assume there is software I could install on the computer, then connect it to the Pactor via the usb cable and get info about the upgrade status. Any help appreciated.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 14:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Pactor PTC-IIusb modem

Call your local SCS dealer and give them the serial number of the unit. They should be able to tell if a PACTOR license has been issued.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 15:29   #3

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Thanks for the suggestion, that would be nice IF I could get a hold of the local dealer here in NZ. Living now in what is an almost 3rd world country, it is very difficult to make contact with many local companies.
Old 05-07-2023, 17:52   #4

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Living now in what is an almost 3rd world country, it is very difficult to make contact with many local companies.
How's that? Third world country? Should I cancel my plans to visit next year?

Meanwhile, ask these people, you can probably do so via email:
http://www.farallon.us/
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 18:24   #5

Hello Jordan,
I've e-mailed them and the German manufacturer; waiting for a reply.

My comment about NZ was somewhat tongue in cheek, but after living here for 23 years, I have to say this country is fast going downhill. Rampant crime, especially in the N. Island, health system in shambles, lots of economic hardship, huge gap between rich and poor, an entrenched multi-generational lower class on the permanent welfare role, gang membership on the rise, a Government that thinks having 60% of students attending classes regularly is "really good", a concerted attempt by radical Maori activists to rewrite NZ history with all Europeans as the "bad guys" and all Maori as victims of oppression, a leader of the Green party claiming at ALL violence in the world is perpetrated by "cis white males", destruction of the economy by woke folk who claim all oil is BAD and we all have to get around on bikes, the "Clean Green" image is a sham, plenty of environmental damage...I could go on and on. Yes, it is still a beautiful country and like anywhere there are nice friendly folks around, but sorry, not the reality that the Govt spin doctors would have you believe.
Old 05-07-2023, 22:35   #6

Hi Jordan,
I got a reply from SCS; it is in fact an upgraded Pactor 3 modem.

Tags
modem, pactor