Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 08:13   #1

Nede help repairing a Standard Horizon WS150 wind instrument

Hi everyone,

I installed a new, old stock WS150 wind instrument on my boat this year.
I installed the display in my instrument cluster in the seahood designed for this purpose, but did not properly secure the cables. Eventually, the masthead connector pigtail (an 8" long, 5-pin connector) fell loose and was dragged between the companionway hatch and seahood. This put quite a bit of strain on the cable behind the LCD display and pulled the 5 wires right out of the circuit board.

Since this is an older unit and Standard Horizon doesn't do wind instruments anymore, I don't know if I'll get any support from them on this, although I did fill out their support form on their website. I just want to re-solder the wires back in myself and get on with life. I am not seeking any kind of warranty repair here. However, there is no indication as to which wire goes where on the PCB.

Would it be possible for anyone on this list that has identical hardware to open up their unit and take a picture of the back?
Alternately, I have seen a StandardHorizon user posting in this forum. Perhaps they could supply the needed info?

All help is appreciated.

Cheers,

/Jason
--
s/v Fugu
1978 Beneteau First 30, hull #206.
Electroprop PM20, 5kwh LiFePO4 battery
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 08:19   #2

Re: Need help repairing a Standard Horizon WS150 wind instrument

Wow! Just called the Standard Horizon tech support number and they were already dealing with my web-form request. The info does exist and will be sent to me shortly :-)

Not bad support for an old, out-dated piece of hardware.

Tip-o-the-hat to Standard Horizon :-)

/Jason
--
s/v Fugu
1978 Beneteau First 30, hull #206.
Electroprop PM20, 5kwh LiFePO4 battery
Old 15-10-2014, 10:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 20' Boston Whaler Outrage
Re: Nede help repairing a Standard Horizon WS150 wind instrument

Jason,

Please let me know if you have received the requested information from Standard Horizon.
StandardHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 11:10   #4

Re: Nede help repairing a Standard Horizon WS150 wind instrument

yes indeed. It came in yesterday evening just before 19h EST.
It wasn't exactly what I needed, but it certainly put me on the right path.
I did some circuit tracing on the PCB last night and confirmed the positive and negative, and was able to separate the wind speed pin from the two wind direction pins. At least, I think. In theory. Man, I would love to live in Theory. Everything works there.

At any rate, I solderd some pins into the old solder blobs so as to make changing wire locations easier next time I'm at the boat (this weekend). So if all goes to plan, I should be able to power the masthead unit from the display and get some readings back. I should only have two wires to swap if the wind direction is offset byh 90 degrees. We'll see :-)

Cheers,

/Jason
Old 27-07-2015, 08:42   #5

Re: Need help repairing a Standard Horizon WS150 wind instrument

Quick update:

I was able to resolder the connections properly and get my instrument back up and running. Things worked great until the past weekend when after a storm, I noticed that the tricup assembly (part number M13349002A) was gone. So anyone know if I can find a new tricup assembly anywhere? If I can't get a M13349002A specifically, is there a compatible one that I can use? I mean at the root of it all, they are nothing more than hall-effect sensor for counting the rpms of the assembly. There can't be too many different ways of doing that.

Cheers,

/Jason

Tags
men, rum, wind