Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 10:23   #1

Boat: Skookum 47
Navigation Software for Mac

In-between waiting to return to my boat, I have been scouring information for the millions of ideas that pop in my head. Navigation software is one of them, and more specifically, navi for Mac. Seems like it is something that is few and far between. Looks like there is a program by Fugawi that will run in iOS, but that's about it?

When I bought the boat, it came with 2 functioning laptops with The Capn'. If I want to upgrade to the most current version (which I would) it would be around $150. Seems like the range for starting fresh without an upgrade on a variety of programs is anywhere from $399 and up. Yes, I have looked at OpenCPN, and I'll probably use that as a supplement, but I want a plug and pay (I mean play program as well. MaxSea has a nice following, but I found the Capn to be fine as well.

Our household is completely Mac based, but with the almost disposable prices of some PC's, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to grab one. The laptops that came with the boat are still functioning, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in them, plus the systems are ancient in terms of technology.

I guess my question is, anybody using Mac based software by Fugawi, and if so, how is it? If not, any other options out there? If not, I guess I'll just get a $300 Asus or whatever else is comparable and upgrade the Capn'.

Thanks!
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:34   #2

Re: Navigation Software for Mac

Buy a copy of Windows 10 for $120. Install on a Mac with Boot Camp which gives you two completely separate OS to boot into. The other option is installing and running Windows via VMWare or Parallels so you don't even have to leave OS X to reboot into Windows. Another $50 or so for either of those but you might be likely to have fewer issues with things like drivers by using Boot Camp.
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:47   #3

I've used a number of different packages. I ran with Rose Point's Coastal Explorer for a while, but I am now using OpenCPN, which I prefer to all the others (and I'm running Windows, so I have more choice than you). I don't understand your remark about plug and play -- OpenCPN is as fast to install as any of those I've seen -- just tell it where the GPS (and other data, if you want to display it) is and where the charts are, and go. It has many good features that others lack.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintry View Post
I don't understand your remark about plug and play -- OpenCPN is as fast to install as any of those I've seen -- just tell it where the GPS (and other data, if you want to display it) is and where the charts are, and go. It has many good features that others lack.
Always like having options. I am sure other programs have options OpenCPN lacks.
Old 25-04-2016, 11:55   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

If you and your family are Mac laptop users you may find a change to a cheap Windows pc frustrating. Personally spent decades in technology fields and academia using, working on, and teaching on all platforms. Today for my personal use it's Mac laptops and Android phones. I swore off Windows a decade ago when I left academia.

Check out PolarView from PolarNavy for the Mac laptop. And Opencpn for a backup.

A usglobalsat GPS puck like the bu-353 or whatever new equivalent and the same brand Bluetooth GPS are what I have used without issues.

Free charts from NOAA of course for US based charts.

Edit to add... should say the laptop and phone are backups to a small Garmin plotter at the helm. Do the trip planning on the laptop and then create routes on all three devices. And both programs on the laptop and phone. All ready to use and the Garmin and laptop active while underway. Then when underway in coastal, shallow waters I use my eyes and redundant depth sounders more than all the rest. And yes, I have the paper chart in place under the laptop on the nav table. Somehow I still manage to enjoy the sailing.
Old 25-04-2016, 11:56   #6

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

You don't need windows. Download the copy designed for the MAC. I use OPcpn on OS 10.11.3 and OPcpn 4.0.0. Works so good I even donated to them.

If you insist on using a windows based program, try Wine 1.7.53. I run VPP2, (Visual Passage Planner2, and Celestial Tools in Wine.

Posted from their website:
Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop. It can be downloaded at https://www.winehq.org

Have fun.
Old 25-04-2016, 12:24   #7
cruiser

Nobeltec Odyssey is wonderful, but only works on a PC or laptop. Inavx is also wonderful for iPads and iPhones.

We have the PC running at the nav table which can the be controlled via the iPads if needed, but generally, we run both Inavx and Nobeltec Time zero on each iPad and iPhone independently. If we run the Inavx apps on the iPads, iPhone, the AIS is also displayed via the AIS transponder wifi.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 13:17   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

You could try this https://www.codeweavers.com/products...r-mac/download

I've tested it ( 14 day free trial) and it seemed OK. Only reason I didn't buy was that I already have VMWareFusion installed.
Old 25-04-2016, 14:02   #9

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

AH, but wine is free!
Old 25-04-2016, 15:12   #10

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Try iNavX. Free NOAA charts. It's a great program. Mac only.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 15:34   #11

How has no one recommended MACENC. This is the standard for mac osx users. Supports vector navionics and xtra charts. Good grib and weathercast. Also integrates with inavx.

MacENC - #1 Mac app for real-time marine navigation & charting

Also great blog with tips and tricks like turning iphone into GPS adhoc and exc.. on a MAC

http://blog.francis-fustier.fr/en/macenc/
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 15:42   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I have MACENC/GPSNAVX and Open CPN, and have used Polar NAvy all work great.

Personally I really like MACENC/GPSNAVX and I find that Open CPN is a great back up. All installed on a little MAcbook Air that works a treat a travelling/delivery skipper item.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 16:15   #13

With technology rushing forward at a frantic pace, I'm looking for redundancy and ease of use. The PO mounted a swing out stand that the laptop pivots on into the companion way. I am thinking about putting a screen at the helm, because it's nice to have a screen for reference AT the steering wheel, and possibly replacing the swing arm with something up top to the side of the companion way.

I like the idea of the laptop for trip planning and the high res + bigger screen for planning and making adjustments under way. Tablets are amazing too, and will definitely be part of the equation.

With wifi connectivity and the range of options, there's a curse in the blessing… there are so many choices! Thanks for the insight and advice. I'll definitely be checking and playing with programs mentioned above.

And of course, keep those ideas coming!
Old 25-04-2016, 17:45   #14

Boat: Cal 2-27

MacENC/iNavX have my recommendation. We use the iOS version of iNavX, in combination with the Bad Elf lightening connected GPS. It's a solid tablet app, with a wealth of NOAA charts that can be downloaded. Customer support is also top notch.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 01:52   #15

Boat: IP 370

INavX as others have said. Note on iPad it must be a cellular device to provide GPS radio.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, software