Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 10:28   #226

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Bullet Feedback??

I have been following this discussion for months now hoping someone would chime in and tell me they have solved my issue, but it hasn't happened yet, so here goes:

Boat Computing Layout
  • 2 laptops on board (1 PC w/XP, 1 Apple MacBook Pro)
  • 1 Apple Time Capsule w/ the following interfaces
  • One Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL or cable modem
  • Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting computers or network devices
  • USB port for connecting a USB printer or USB external hard drive
  • 802.11n wireless
  • Alfa & Engenius WiFi "booster" devices
  • 8 dBi "candlestick" antenna w/lo-loss cable (allows us to move the antenna all over the boat at heights up to 15-20' above the water)

Problem Overview

The problems are multiple.

When we both want to connect to a WiFi AP we have to connect the Engenius to the PC, the Alfa to the Mac. One of us gets to use the candlestick antenna, while the other must use the small "rubber ducky".

The Time Capsule becomes a 500GB hard drive island. IOW, the Time Capsule never connects to the internet leaving a lot of capability sitting on the shelf.

Bullet Solution?

So now comes the question that I hope you smart folks can answer. If I get the Bullet (2 or 5 HP?) with the POE adapter, can I plug into the Gigabit Ethernet interface on the Time Capsule and have a WiFi net on the boat that will reach out to an onshore WiFi AP?

Fair Winds,
Mike
s/v TabbyCat
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:20   #227
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yogao, you might want to ask Apple about that. Their web site says the time Capsule will work as a "base station" and allow you to connect multiple Wifi-enabled computers to it.

But, they are totally silent on how or if the Time Capsule can be connected out to the internet. Whether it needs an ethernet connection to a router (cable modem, dsl, etc.) or whether it can use anything else, and how it uses it. Their web pages seem to be written for folks who shouldn't be bothered by basic technical questions.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33   #228
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
If I get the Bullet (2 or 5 HP?) with the POE adapter, can I plug into the Gigabit Ethernet interface on the Time Capsule and have a WiFi net on the boat that will reach out to an onshore WiFi AP?
Set a Bullet up as a Nat Router and plug it into the WAN port on the Time Capsule and you'll be good to go. Do not get a Bullet 5. It will not connect to any 2.4 Ghz AP's.

If your antenna has an N-female connector on it, you can attach the Bullet directly to the antenna. If the coax is hard wired to the antenna I would suggest replacing the antenna with one that allows you to connect directly to it. The coax cable is probably consuming 50% of your output and a significant amount of the received signal.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33   #229

Apple doesn't understand cruising

Thanks for your response.

On land with a cable modem or other hi-speed terrestrial based service, the TC works wonderfully. Once you get away from shore it is another story and Apple is as you say "silent".

As an aside, when I went into one of their stores, the first question was, "Who is your ISP?" When I replied that I was connecting to the internet via WiFi, they said, "we don't approve of stealing others internet service..." ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yogao, you might want to ask Apple about that. Their web site says the time Capsule will work as a "base station" and allow you to connect multiple Wifi-enabled computers to it.

But, they are totally silent on how or if the Time Capsule can be connected out to the internet. Whether it needs an ethernet connection to a router (cable modem, dsl, etc.) or whether it can use anything else, and how it uses it. Their web pages seem to be written for folks who shouldn't be bothered by basic technical questions.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44   #230

Thanks!

Great info. The antenna is not hard wired, we have a length of "mini-coax" that runs between the Alfa or Engenius and the antenna, so I will get an adapter.

Fair Winds,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Set a Bullet up as a Nat Router and plug it into the WAN port on the Time Capsule and you'll be good to go. Do not get a Bullet 5. It will not connect to any 2.4 Ghz AP's.

If your antenna has an N-female connector on it, you can attach the Bullet directly to the antenna. If the coax is hard wired to the antenna I would suggest replacing the antenna with one that allows you to connect directly to it. The coax cable is probably consuming 50% of your output and a significant amount of the received signal.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:58   #231

Connectors, connectors...

The connector is RP-SMA, so I am thinking that I will get something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	42209.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	9842
Old 12-09-2009, 15:32   #232
Marine Service Provider

Those of you using the Alfa, how and where do you have it mounted? Do you have pictures.

I'm getting great results with this unit so far, but with only 15' to work with I'm having a tough time trying to figure out where to mount it...or more specifically where to mount the Engenius antenna.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:33   #233

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Cruising south ,10 miles off Santa Cruz,getting perfect signal with my new 5 mile wifi.Just checked passage weather gribs,no problem.Have antenna on pole 12 feet above deck,attached to bimini frame.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 15:22   #234

Now that I've been using the Bullet 2HP for a while I have a few comments.

First a warning. Apparently there were a batch that were not sealed well where the clear cover is over the LED indicators on the side of the unit. A friend of mine had moisture within his unit that stopped it working. He was able to dry it out and get it working again and the distributor who sold it to him said they would back it up and they were the ones who told him about the potential weakness.

So far this is the most powerful gear I've used. It's only moderately difficult to use and I was able to download good instructions for a different wifi adapter that used very similar firmware so that I was up and running pretty quickly.

I find the case and antenna connector to be very strong. I have it hooked up to a yagi at the moment and I can actually use the adapter as a pistol grip and point the antenna around looking for a usable signal. In the firmware you can use "antenna alignment" to view a moving scale of signal strength. While this would not be practical at anchor it would be very useful while tied up at a dock. It would also come in handy if you were desperate enough to need to get off a quick email, you could have someone aiming the antenna for you manually to compensate for boat swing (don't laugh, I've got weather this way!).

At the moment it's upstairs hooked up to the yagi picking up an open wifi somewhere in the next block over. It's plugged into a Lynksis WRT54G router to redistribute wifi in the house. This all works well enough that I probably will not spend the time and money to upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT.

We also have a direct connect Omni antenna we can use at anchor and it tests well.

Nano_Quick_Set-up at UBNT.com

George
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 15:28   #235

any one out there have any experience with a product called the wirie? seems abargain at 225 if it istruly a complete solution ?
po6ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 15:40   #236

It's an Alpha-in-a-box. You would be paying for someone to assemble off the shelf components for you (it appears). And that's fine as a time saver and it's particularly fine if there's some tech support and you think you might need tech support.

I'm editing because I read my post as a little bit harsh. I *like* cottage industry and particularly cruisers who do so to help out with the Kitty and that's what this looks like to me. It may be an arrangement of off the shelf parts but it is a pleasing arrangement.

George
Old 15-09-2009, 16:36   #237

I agree, at least in principle, but as i read these posts. it seems to me that a lot of money is spent on "solutions" that don't work. that being said

could you give a list of components to assemble one my self at a cost lower than substantially lower than 225. mastery is worth something

looking forward to your reply thx po6ert
Old 15-09-2009, 16:57   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by po6ert View Post
I agree, at least in principle, but as i read these posts. it seems to me that a lot of money is spent on "solutions" that don't work. that being said

could you give a list of components to assemble one my self at a cost lower than substantially lower than 225. mastery is worth something

looking forward to your reply thx po6ert
Well... yes and no. I could but then I'd be breaking someone's rice bowl and I try to avoid that. Also, I've used the Alpha and I like it but I like my Bullet HP even more. I think if you are interested in a package solution you would do well to approach Bob at IslandtimePC. I don't know anyone who hasn't been happy with the service and the results.

George
Old 15-09-2009, 16:59   #239

the web site seems excellent i was able to down load the manual, clear and readable. still iwould like to hear an independant critic and users opinion thx
po6ert
Old 15-09-2009, 18:34   #240

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I don't want to review 240 posts. So where do I find a 5 mile WiFi?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote