Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 04:06   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Pete, The reason for use of the backstay is to keep the antenna as far away from other rigging as possible...in the clear, so to speak. Shrouds work OK, but on most boats not likely as well as the backstay due to proximity to the mast and other shrouds.
Bill many thanks, SSB is a background interest at the moment as we are coastal cruising but worth considering if we decide on more adventurous stuff later, good news is wifey is keen on an adventure. The other reason is I hate to do something to the boat and then later find I have installed something that is now in the way and has to be moved due to a change of plan. Kind of nice to get it right the first time round. Our rigging is now 10 years old so due for a change in the next couple of years. May well fit the insulators then and be ready.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 07:30   #17

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 42
Thanks everyone for your valued advice, as stated earlier my first project is to re-rig the standing rigging. In preparation for the future SSB radio I wanted to see if I could kill 2 birds with one stone, so all this advice has enabled me to be more prepared. When it comes time to buy a radio, Tuner and hook up I certainly will consult with this forum for advice.
Seeing there are several savvy communication thech. Type here I wonder if I could impose one more question
At the top of the mast I have a small whip antenna about 1/8” dia. and 2 feet long, that is sitting on a round metal case 2 “ in dia. 2 ½”inch high. I do not know what this is and am wondering if I should change it when I have the mast off. It is about 30 years old. When using my VHF radio this summer on the west coast of Vancouver island I was not able to hear or reach Canadian coast Guard. So I suspect something is wrong any advise. I could reach other boats maybe 5 miles away and they could communicate with Coast Guard.
PS I could always here the weather stations?? But Coast GUARD COULD NOT HERE ME??
Is this called hijacking my original poast?
Sergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 17:20   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Sounds like it is your VHF antenna and the antenna itself could be OK after 30 years BUT I would be surprised if the coax cable and connectors are still OK. Unless you can properly test it (i.e. VSWR the antenna, measure the loss of the coax/connectors, confirm radiated RF power etc), just replace everything, using quality low loss, coax, connectors, antenna.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 03:53   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sounds like it is your VHF antenna and the antenna itself could be OK after 30 years BUT I would be surprised if the coax cable and connectors are still OK. Unless you can properly test it (i.e. VSWR the antenna, measure the loss of the coax/connectors, confirm radiated RF power etc), just replace everything, using [sic: high] quality, low loss, coax, connectors, antenna.
✓ Exactly.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio