Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 16:11   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
ICOM M710 stuck on emergency TX mode

If i power up my Icom M710 and coax cable is connected to AT-130, display shows emergency with TX illuminated. No other buttons are responsive. It draws 10A or so. This is without me pressing the TX button on the mike.
If I keep the antenna coax disconnected it powers up normal, display buttons are responsive and it draws nominal current.

I bought this unit new in 2005 and used it fine on my old boat for winlink email from 2006-2011.

Anyone had the same behavior? I will start investigating the tuner and grounding, fuse inline with output, but i have not seen anyone mention this observation. Also I didn't see this described in the manual.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 16:45   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: ICOM M710 stuck on emergency TX mode

From what I have read and understand, the radio will not key if the microphone is not connected. Disconnect the mic and try again with and without the antenna connected. If you have a dummy load (not everyone has one) you can use that in lieu of the antenna tuner. You can make a dummy load with a 100w light bulb and coax cable. Since RF is AC the bulb will light up when the radio keys.

Removing the mic might help determine if you have a ground loop.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:19   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: ICOM M710 stuck on emergency TX mode

I figured it out, for future purposes, although I dont think anyone will have this scenario,

I brought my IC-M710 onto this boat. it already had a AT130 and
Control wire coming out of it which is a shielded bundle with red, black, white and green. So i automatically thought that my control wire coming out of Icom M710 which also has Red black white and green should be connected based on color coding.

Well as I opened the Tuner, E(-) terminal was connected to green wire instead of black wire. So all i had to do is connect black wire to E(-) terminal and green wire to the bottom (Key terminal). White is a star terminal.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, icom