Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 06:22   #1

I want it all

Dear Santa, the fruitcake isn't cutting it. That is what I want from my new marine radio next year.

The sad state of marine accessory design--these forums list out what people want but I don't see it getting built.

This is what I want in a VHF and worth (to me) a very low 4 figure USD price plus a tiny monthly recurring fee.

1) VHF radio
2) internal GPS with AIS class B
3) an attachment for a high water sensor
4) sound detection capability at the base unit and the remote mic
5) RFID sensor
6) 12 volt switch-on upon alert that can connect to a relay to activate other 12v boat accessories.
7) SMS capability of alert condition
8) bundled contract $5 for 10 SMS /month" from a US national carrier that reflects the buying power of the manufacturer and low text message volume. (And other countries but let's get it started ok)
9) DSC automated call out for alert condition
10) VHF automated call out for alert condition (and NOT on 16 so more important traffic than "noise on my boat" is never impaired.
11) Bluetooth automated text out via the app installed on a smartphone (when smartphone left aboard).

Scenario 1: on the beach at Soggy's. Handheld VHF in my pocket. Water alarm calls out on VHF 68. I go check the boat and close a thru hull. Phew!

Scenario 2: biking around Bora Bora on the far side of the island. No mobile phone and no VHF signal. My buddy boater who I coordinated with beforehand gets a DSC call "there is a noise on your friends boat". He pulls out his binos and yells at a kid. Phew! Not that anyone would ever bother you in BB.

Scenario 3: boat is on the hard for winter storage. Ice dam and water gets in. The water sensor texts me and I go check my boat. Phew!

Scenario 4: Slick, the local outboard thief, cuts my outboard off the stern rail. The RFID misses a ping and turns on 12v to a relay switch which activates something onboard. For me this would be spreader lights, wired in car horn) Probably still lose the outboard but if sleeping aboard maybe not.

Each of those scenarios, by my count, might prevent $1000+ of avoidable damage on cruising yachts.

If we took a solid VHF & Class B unit added a sensor port or two. Added a sim chip. Duct tape... Some software to control it all ...

Standard Horizon, Uniden, Icom -- who's got my back here???

And Fellow Sailors, Which features make make the most sense? Which are fantasy? What others are needed?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 09:56   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: I want it all

In case it is of interest, I installed a vessel monitoring system on our boat in 2014 that covers most of your wish list, and much more... [No affiliation...]

It paid for itself in the first few months when a shore power connector shorted out while we were traveling away from the boat.

The model we purchased is restricted to cell data. [international 160+ countries]

The next generation device will also connect to the boat's WiFi router which will extend the reach a few miles [line-of-sight] when we are onshore in areas without cell coverage.

Having such a system greatly improves peace-of-mind if you spend any time away from your vessel- especially if you are close enough to tend to things yourself, or can delegate to a trusted boat keeper.

Best wishes finding what best suits your needs.

Cheers! Bill