Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2023, 17:44   #16

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Garmin discontinuing Vesper Watchmate devices and apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, they did kill off all the wonderful Interphase forward looking sonars...

Jim
And they did very serious damage to active captain when they bought it also.
Since then, I have viewed Garmin as a predator, and they will never receive a penny of my business!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 10-03-2023, 17:52   #17

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have Vesper Watchmate 850. I’ve returned it to NZ twice for factory service. Nice folks and a really great machine. Anchor watch, NMEA interface to my Simrad. Anchor watch does not require any other electronics, only about 7 watts. We never turn it off. Under way it has saved our skins three times in night passages. I’ll keep it until there are no alternatives.
While Vesper was still in business (before being bought by Garmin) I sent my unit back to them. They fixed it and send it back to me no charge under warranty. They even paid return shipping. Excellent service!
I seriously doubt if you’ll ever get that kind of service from Garmin, and once it is out of warranty, they will probably not even repair it for you at all.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-03-2023, 04:55   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
And they did very serious damage to active captain when they bought it also.
Since then, I have viewed Garmin as a predator, and they will never receive a penny of my business!

Al, S/V Finlandia
I have to agree. What is a bit of a wonder, it’s puzzling that the main marine suppliers don’t seem to get that between starlink and other other communication and computing products there is an ever widening gap between their stuff and other things that work well. They are simply monopolistic predators with enough cash to eliminate competition.

It’s like We$t Marine charging $85 for a pint of paint that can be delivered to your home for $45. They treat us as blissfully ignorant chickens ready to be plucked - again.

Remember when We$t devoured Boat US? Where we lived, the stores were a couple hundred yards apart. Boat US catered to the sailing community while We$t was power oriented, carrying meager sail accessories. Boat US was decidedly more competitively priced. After the take over, the inventory was moved across the street, prices were 2-3 X. When the sailing inventory was gone it was not restocked.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin