Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 17:00   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Garmin 740 compatibility with Icom MXA-5000

While comparison shopping, we come cross a great deal on the Garmin 740 chart plotter with radar combination package. Making our way into West Marine to look at other options, I struck up a conversation with a store employee. When I asked if the 740s with radar combo is compatible with the Icom MXA-5000, his response was a shake of the head, followed by a no.

After searching the forum, I found a thread that points to compatibility, but as radar does not seem to be used in the thread in question, I'm turning to everyone here. Can the MXA-5000 function with the 740 chart plotter/ radar combo?

Thread mentioned above: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0s-105218.html

Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 16:46   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Garmin 740 compatibility with Icom MXA-5000

If the Garmin will function with the MXA-5000 without the radar, I cannot see any reason it would not function with it. I looked at the linked installation instructions from the other thread. They seem pretty weak.

Why do you choose the MXA-5000? For $200 more you could get a transponder unit.

Or just get a Garmin unit for ~$120 more. No hassle NMEA 2000 and it includes the splitter too. Just the VHF cables, power and NMEA 2000 cable to hook up! No advanced NMEA0183 degree necessary

Garmin AIS 300 Automatic Identification System Receiver RX Only 010 00892 00 | eBay
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 17:06   #3

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Garmin 740 compatibility with Icom MXA-5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
If the Garmin will function with the MXA-5000 without the radar, I cannot see any reason it would not function with it. I looked at the linked installation instructions from the other thread. They seem pretty weak.

Why do you choose the MXA-5000? For $200 more you could get a transponder unit.

Or just get a Garmin unit for ~$120 more. No hassle NMEA 2000 and it includes the splitter too. Just the VHF cables, power and NMEA 2000 cable to hook up! No advanced NMEA0183 degree necessary

Garmin AIS 300 Automatic Identification System Receiver RX Only 010 00892 00 | eBay
As happens so often, the MXA-5000 choice wasn't mine. The Admiral made a snap decision. Now I have a bit of info to point to, and hopefully change her stance. The debate on receiver vs transceiver rages on.

I thank you for taking the time to help me out on this.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, garmin