Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 10:20   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Electrical problem - need help!

thanks for posting this, Sailing Drummer. Please let us know what you find regarding corrosion and the possibility of galvanic corrosion.
ah, the joy of a new boat and finding what the PO did to it.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:55   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35

Another issue with the bayonet bulbs with single center contacts is when you put the bulb in and slide it, the friction on the bottom turns the little piece of copper on the bottom that the bottom center of the light contacts to. In many cases, they only solder a lead to that and isolate it from the ground. A lot of turning will eventually breakdown the strands of the wire and/or solder joint.

Long story short, it is often easier when you replace bulbs to also replace at least the bayonet mount and if there is a lot of corrosion, suspect the seal is broken.

Do not pay an electrician. You can get through this yourself, even if you have to buy a new aqua signal light, it will be less than having an electrician doing a boat call.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 13:28   #18

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. You will find a lot of manufacturers don't pay any attention to polarity on lights as it didn't make any difference before LED's.

Light Emitting Diodes are polarity sensitive as a stand alone, but when mounted on a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) with other LED's, they are generally configured to work with any polarity, they aren't polarity sensitive then.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 13:52   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

OP, forget all the experts. You have a bad splice + or - side. Not wide open but corroded. Trace back the wiring to your forward running lights. If need be, redo the connections even if they don't appear bad. It isn't the bulbs or sockets. Or Polarized bulbs?

Someplace back there you have the supply wire + or - crimped and wired to both forward running lights. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 15:07   #20

Boat: Moody 425

I hope to be in a port soon for a few days instead of traveling and anchoring. Then I'll hopefully be able to sort all this out. I have a strong feeling that what all of you are saying about the connections is correct. With any luck I'll find a bad connection in a spot that's easy to get to.

Thanks again for all the good information. It's much appreciated.
Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 20:28   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

Definitely a high-resistance connection. LED replacements for incandescent bulbs are universal polarity. An issue I often see with Aqua-Signal series 40 fixtures is too large wire run into the socket. Wire larger than 16ga will prevent the spring under the contact base to keep pressure on the bulb. Even smaller wires can cause this when the insulation gets hard with age.
Old 30-01-2016, 16:56   #22

Boat: Moody 425

Got it figured out, thanks to all your help! I haven't finished repairing it yet but at least it will be right once it's done (I hope).

First, the +/- problem. This should be an easy fix. I'll change them at the deck plug so red goes to +.

The problem was, as most of you said, a bad ground connection. Well, actually it was 2 bad connections! My previous crimps were not good. I have to set the crimper so it is a little tighter. I tested everything without the crimps and I got good results. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish it off, or make a run to WM if I don't have what I need.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:58   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Drummer View Post
Got it figured out, thanks to all your help! I haven't finished repairing it yet but at least it will be right once it's done (I hope).

First, the +/- problem. This should be an easy fix. I'll change them at the deck plug so red goes to +.

The problem was, as most of you said, a bad ground connection. Well, actually it was 2 bad connections! My previous crimps were not good. I have to set the crimper so it is a little tighter. I tested everything without the crimps and I got good results. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish it off, or make a run to WM if I don't have what I need.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Larry
Larry,

Make sure you are adequately sealing those crimps so you won't have to do it again soon.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical