Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 22:06   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Drone Use While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I used to launch my Mavic Pro while the boat was moving, get my shots and then stop the boat and land it on the deck (catamaran). (I can't talk my wife into catching the thing as it looks way too much like a flying weed-whacker). Then, one day, the thing fell like a brick immediately after takeoff, landing in the dinghy. After 4 more trials with the same results, I had to give up taking off while underway. Something about taking off from a moving playform was too much for it, even though I had done it dozens of times previously, and the motors would just shut off. I always fly with the sensors turned off. Now I only fly from anchor, or with the boat stopped in calm conditions. I would love to pick up a Phantom 3 so I can do sailing shots again.
Sometimes it has trouble initializing when moving. I always wait for it to stay in gps mode for a minute or so before launching. I also launch off the stern so it will always be clear of everything.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 00:57   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post

I also launch off the stern so it will always be clear of everything.
I think that is a good idea. Presently making a solar framework for large 96 cell panel going athwartships above the tender davits.
Would making fold up supports for a removable fish net strung tight above panel to catch the drone, be a worthwhile idea?

Never flown a drone but Zaida is hinting that we should get one
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:39   #33

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I have drowned 1 x phantom4 by my own stupidity from land and 1 x mavic pro on anchor into my rigging.

I have a mavic pro zoom now and fly that off the rear of the boat and bring it back to the rear. It works best if you have 2 people. One to fly and one to catch. It’s possible to do alone but the risk increases dramatically for errors.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	189273Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	189274
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:54   #34

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Sometimes it has trouble initializing when moving. I always wait for it to stay in gps mode for a minute or so before launching. I also launch off the stern so it will always be clear of everything.
Hmm, maybe I'll give it another try, allowing it to sit for a while longer in GPS mode. I always wait for the message "Home point has been updated" before launch. How fast are you moving when you launch? I used to launch off off the surfboards on top of my davits, which was great until the first time the motors cut out and the drone dropped, landing by luck in the dinghy. To be honest, I am surprised that it still flies at all, considering how many times I have crashed it into the boat!

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Hmm, maybe I'll give it another try, allowing it to sit for a while longer in GPS mode. I always wait for the message "Home point has been updated" before launch. How fast are you moving when you launch? I used to launch off off the surfboards on top of my davits, which was great until the first time the motors cut out and the drone dropped, landing by luck in the dinghy. To be honest, I am surprised that it still flies at all, considering how many times I have crashed it into the boat!
I have launched at 8knots of boat speed and 20 knots of wind. Sometimes it takes quite awhile to get to gps mode. I'm sure I'm going to lose it at some point, but I've done at least 50 flights underway so far (lots of close calls). At higher wind speeds need to switch to sport mode after take off.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00   #36

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I have a DJI mavic pro and fly it from a moving sailboat every chance I get. I turn off the forward and downward collision sensors. I also set it so that if it loses the signal with the remote it hovers in place and does not return to home.

The only time I almost lost it in the ocean was while on a mooring ball in the BVI. I was not paying attention to the wind direction and ran low on battery. The drone flew back to the home point on its own and started landing. When that happened it would not fly up in altitude and I could only fly forward/backwards and side to side. The boat had swung on its mooring, luckily my buddy made a spectacular grab while hanging off the davits!

The videos and photographs are worth the risk.
sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 13:12   #37

That is a great point about taking into account the extra time and battery it takes to get back up wind. Also I try to always land with 35% battery reserve so I have extra in the tank if I have landing difficulties. Sometimes it takes a couple of passes to have the drone caught.
Old 04-04-2019, 14:54   #38

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Regarding the Mavic Air, you can switch the proximity sensors off.
Makes it easier to catch.

As a grab handle you can put a very large cable tie around its body protruding downwards.

They do make floats, but for wavy conditions that's not an option.
Still, if the drone goes in the drink you can try to claim it with DJI's protection plan. The floats would at least ensure that you have a drone for that claim.
Old 04-04-2019, 15:18   #39
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I use a "poor man's drone." I attach my go-pro to a kite. It has no trouble following me wherever I go, it always stays astern when I'm on a reach, and except during launch and retrieval it's hands free so I can single-hand my boat.

The propulsion batteries never go dead.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 15:28   #40

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Cpt Pat.

Cool idea for more windy days.
How do you attach the Gopro? Pictures?
Old 06-04-2019, 21:06   #41

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I like the idea of a grab handle. I will have to experiment with that a bit. I am afraid of losing a finger when I have to catch it by hand.
sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 23:11   #42

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Couple of things...we have a Mavic Pro by the way...

1) Any mavic people, you can buy a water landing attachment which is kind of expensive and kind of not trustworthy, but it does give the mavic foam legs you can grab better maybe. Altho grabbing it by its belly isn't that tough.

2) We don't fly while sailing, but if I absolutely needed footage of the boat underway, I'd have the girls sail the boat past me sitting in the dinghy or onshore with the drone.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:26   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I’m sure the sponsors would have happily paid for a drone just for that minute’s footage, if they had had to pay (which they probably didn’t). It’s a bit different when it’s your boat buck you’re throwing overboard...

I have a Spark which I’m practising with, but still don’t have the guts to try when sailing. My problem is that I’ll be the one catching as well as driving.
Pls tell me your experience with flying the spark, under sail (15-18 knot winds). Because i couldnt do it. Now i wonder i should have put the spark on sport mode perhaps? However that drains the batteries too quick. Good luck.
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:37   #44

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
That is a great point about taking into account the extra time and battery it takes to get back up wind. Also I try to always land with 35% battery reserve so I have extra in the tank if I have landing difficulties. Sometimes it takes a couple of passes to have the drone caught.
Morning Allen

Great reading your thoughts. The GPS wait is a good point. I almost lost our Spark in the Vivorillo Cays the other day.
When retrieving at sea, do you fly and retrieve on your own, or does it take both of you?
Cheers
BigNut on NAT
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:27   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Morning Allen

Great reading your thoughts. The GPS wait is a good point. I almost lost our Spark in the Vivorillo Cays the other day.
When retrieving at sea, do you fly and retrieve on your own, or does it take both of you?
Cheers
BigNut on NAT
Too funny we are both in the same part if the world. We were just in the cays 3 weeks ago, but didn't stop. Currently in Roatan. What is the battery life in the spark?