Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2021, 20:43   #46

Boat: Tartan 28
Re: Best tablet for offshore navigation

3 years using an ipad pro 11 in a waterproof case. I use an iphone 12 for backup. No issues. Every time i start thinking about a chart plotter, I see how expensive they are, how cumbersome and slow the interface is, and how expensive it is to maintain charts on it. And then they go obsolete and you start all over.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:25   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
Every time i start thinking about a chart plotter, I see how expensive they are, how cumbersome and slow the interface is, and how expensive it is to maintain charts on it. And then they go obsolete and you start all over.
Same here, but I'm in the process of upgrading the very old radar and the new stuff is all wonderful with the local flavour of chart-plotter only - add another $4000.

My current line of investigation is to add to the nav-station a portable 15' monitor running on USB (about $150 to $250) and a Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenCPN. It can interface with the modern Ethernet based radars.

This will cover most of my needs, even if it isn't suitable for the cockpit. As I'm sometimes a bit if a Luddite and want to keep the cockpit clear of too many gadgets, it doesn't bother me that the solution will work under deck only.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:47   #48

Boat: Oram

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
3 years using an ipad pro 11 in a waterproof case. I use an iphone 12 for backup. No issues. Every time i start thinking about a chart plotter, I see how expensive they are, how cumbersome and slow the interface is, and how expensive it is to maintain charts on it. And then they go obsolete and you start all over.
Garmin owns navionics there chart plotter sounder/combos come preloaded with g3 charts, cheaper than cost of apple ipad + navionics app and you get a sounder + it’s waterproof
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:34   #49

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
So pilots expose their ipads to ocean conditions?

Not everybody has an enclosed cockpit, and ive yet to see any apple product last on a boat for much past a year.

Then you should come and see mine. My oldest one (Three onboard, and two iPhones) has been operational on board for seven years now.
I live aboard and the iPads and phones live aboard as well.

If an electronic device is only lasting a year on your boat, I’d have to question what the heck you’re doing to it.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfpc1 View Post
Thanks for the comments - all feedback is a gift

I will eventually get a full-blown chart plotter but trying to outfit three boats at the moment (Sea Scouts). Tablet is removable and transferrable from boat to boat (Galveston Bay)

So what I missed (and why I directed to @Tornadosailing) is that I am planning to use with the

Garmin inReach Mini

with

Navionics Pro downloaded.

The Sony tablet is compatible (as are other Android versions) - not sure about the ipad models. Anyone use the Inreach?

Any further thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Why IN reach Mini?
My kid's (Sea Scouts) moms.

IN reach drops a breadcrumb every 10 mins (or whatever I set) so the parents can see real time where we are.

And, it allows me to use satellite to text regardless of wifi signal (we have used it out to 75 miles offshore so far).

Finally, built in SOS button.

So any tablet with wifi is ok - but need link to IN reach to maximize gps, tracking and SOS
wjfpc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 09:53   #51

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfpc1 View Post
Why IN reach Mini?
My kid's (Sea Scouts) moms.
So any tablet with wifi is ok - but need link to IN reach to maximize gps, tracking and SOS
I assumed similar; harder to stay in contact with land folk over the VHF. Still, I'm also hoping that's not the only (satellite-based) SOS option you have.

For the tablets I'm also happy with my 2018-era iPad pro. The screen can be sufficiently darkened for night use (there are many ways to do that), and I can download updated charts as soon as NOAA publishes their weeklies.

P.S. As a bit of trivia, for the ancient iPhones, the trick to enable GPS-only mode was to put a PIN lock on the sim card.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 20:21   #52

Boat: Nautitech 44.2

A few months ago, as I was looking to replace my MFD's, I came across the Tipltek 7" Android tablet. I purchased one and have been very satisfied for my use (live aboard, offshore and coastal navigation).

What I like:
- screen brightness = 1200 cd/m2 (same as most MFD - can see in direct sunlight)
- 10 Ah battery (can go for more than 24 hr of navigation without recharge... depending on how long you keep the screen on)
- military grade case, water resistant...
- all apps for a connected tablet can do vs MFD
- I need to only buy one for chart table and helm... or when resting
- price: no more than an iPad

It would just be great i could connect my old radar!
Philtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 14:59   #53

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

I am going with a Galaxy S6 Lite 128GB with Navionics subscription in the pilothouse to augment the 12 year old chart plotter at the outside helm. I might load up OpenCPN on a PC as well for the pilothouse, but giving this setup a try for this year (if I can get to my boat).
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 15:27   #54

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I find it funny that anyone would believe that a chartplotter of any make is better navigating than a new iPhone. Current iPhones are very water resistant - you can even use them underwater. The iPhone 13 won't even have a port for charging and the materials they are made of (including the screen) are far superior to the most expensive chartplotter on the market. For the cost of 1 decent sized B&G I can get 4 iPads.

Our iPhone 11 is a rock solid chartplotter minus the radar and I rarely look at the chartplotter anymore.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 16:01   #55

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Current iPhones are very water resistant - you can even use them underwater.
How well does the touchscreen work fully submerged? Is there a difference compared to when not submerged but covered in water droplets? I know this was an issue in the past that Apple was looking to address....
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 16:16   #56

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
How well does the touchscreen work fully submerged? Is there a difference compared to when not submerged but covered in water droplets? I know this was an issue in the past that Apple was looking to address....
The touch screen doesn't work but the buttons do. So, taking pics and so forth. I use mine in the pouring rain all the time and even with the occasional touch issue it works faster than my stupid raymarine joystick.

Its time to face the facts - you have a consumer device that is used by over a billion people worldwide from the top of Mount everest to the bottom of the sea, they get dropped, submerged, burned, cracked, and so forth and they still work better than chartplotters.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 01:16   #57

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I'm sure I've posted this before but it bears repeating. Touchscreens are grossly suboptimal on a moving platform.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 04:07   #58

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I find it funny that anyone would believe that a chartplotter of any make is better navigating than a new iPhone. Current iPhones are very water resistant - you can even use them underwater. The iPhone 13 won't even have a port for charging and the materials they are made of (including the screen) are far superior to the most expensive chartplotter on the market. For the cost of 1 decent sized B&G I can get 4 iPads.

Our iPhone 11 is a rock solid chartplotter minus the radar and I rarely look at the chartplotter anymore.

Are there 12", 16", or 19" iPhones?

-Chris
Old 15-11-2022, 17:22   #59

Boat: Mariner 36 Masthead Sloop Designed by Peter Canning

Why don't I see anyone using rugged tablets with a 12.5" screen and are water proofed to IP54 rating. I am using a Motion R12 Tablet together with Open CPN and o charts. Brilliant
nabhansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 17:32   #60

Boat: Pearson 323

I use dual cellular capable iPad Air 2, with waterproof covers, mounted to RAM table holders attached to the top of the binnacle arch
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, offshore