Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 20:14   #1

Thumbs up Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

I'm replacing the 3-volt lithium battery on a Raystar 120 GPS antenna, but I've lost my notes on battery orientation.

Does anyone know if the correct battery orientation is: Negative side toward the circuit board and positive side facing the viewer?

I think this is correct, but looking for verification before gluing the new CR2032 battery in place (with conductive glue). Note: With the system power on, the mounting clip facing the viewer shows 0.06 volts positive versus the mounting clip closest to the circuit board.

Owner's manual doesn't help, provides no information about the battery.
BJGWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:01   #2

Re: Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

I just happened to be pulling apart my Raystar 120 this morning. The positive side faces away from the circuit board.

Can you tell me what you used to get the old battery out? Some kind of solvent to dissolve the old glue?
electronker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 21:45   #3

Wink Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

I used a thin knife blade to very carefully tease the old battery and foil apart. It appeared to be cold-soldered in place, so solvent might not be effective. The foil is thin, so have to take care not to break it off. I used conductive electrical glue from Radio Shack when installing the replacement, using a thin spring-loaded clip to hold the pieces together until the adhesive cured. Electrical current required for internal memory is negligible, so conductive glue is sufficient. Be careful not to have excessive glue squeeze-out that could short out the battery. Worked just fine for me. Good luck!

Hope this helps...

Bill G.
BJGWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 15:28   #4

Re: Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

Thanks for these posts.
My dead Raystar 120 “failed” I the same way and I simply prised out the old battery and inserted a new one (bought for less than £1) between the contacts. A bit of insulating tape around the lot to keep things in place and hey presto, fully functioning GPS for 5 minutes work (mostly for unscrewing the 6 screws without losing them). If (when) it packs up again, I’ve got a spare battery and more insulating tape.
The great thing about “last generation” kit is that it was still built by engineers.
Pardela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men