Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 15:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 361
B&G vs Raymarine Autopilot & MFD software questions

Have a 2001 Beneteau 261 with max displacement of 18,000lbs (8165kg).

Planning on replacing the current Raytheon ST5000 autopilot (A12015) with Type 1 mechanical linear drive (M81130) and trying to decide between the B&G or Raymarine autopilot systems.

The B&G autopilot can steer to the WIND, while taking into account wave action and wind shifts. My question is does any of the Raymarine autopilots (EV-200 or EV-400) have the same functionality?

Raymarine appears to have made great strides for sailing software, with the Lighthouse Bermuda update. This includes racing functions already available with B&G and polars. I can't get a straight answer from Raymarine about the entry of polars, nor can I get confirmation as to whether the Beneteau 361 polar is available. My understanding is with B&G, the user can enter the polar information manually. Is this true?
scfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 16:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: B&G vs Raymarine Autopilot & MFD software questions

Did get an email back from Raymarine with a link to a new page to add polars.

Quote:
Hello and thank you for your email.

We have now introduced a new way to add your boats polar to our Lighthouse 3 embedded database. Please follow the link below to the dedicated page on our website where there are instructions, a downloadable template and the facility to upload your boats polar. From here we will then be able to add it to our embedded library.

http://www.raymarine.com/multifuncti...ort/index.html

We plan to update our embedded library every major software release, the next being spring 2020.

If you have already submitted your polar to this email address, and it is in the correct format it will be added as part of the spring release.
scfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 05:10   #3

Boat: beneteau OC 352

I have no experience with raymarine. My decision was made solely on that I liked the software and the look of the b&g. I had the zeus paired with a simrod hydrolic ram on our 01 oceanic 352. Loved it. The autopilot is a game changer. When you sail as a couple it makes getting from point a to point b so much more enjoyable. Sorry I don't have an answer for your specific question. For me there's no question, I'm refitting our JEANNEAU DS43 with b&g. And, with the b&g you don't need the h5000 autopilot to push it. The mdf will push the drive by itself.
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 05:59   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Be care mixing brands! My Ray acu-100 requires a Ray MFD to introduce updates. Nit sure if the B&G is the same
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:22   #5

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Be care mixing brands! My Ray acu-100 requires a Ray MFD to introduce updates. Nit sure if the B&G is the same
I consulted a b &g rep prior to purchase. It's so long ago I can't recall, but I think b&g and simrad is owned by the same company? All I can tell you is , I definitely designed the set up with a b&g rep. Worked like a champ
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, software