Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 17:50   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Autopilot backup options - wheel steering

Some people do but I wouldn't rely on a tiller pilot to steer me across an ocean if it were connected to a tiller.

My TP22 is connected to the top of the windvane and the windvane moves the wheel. The TP22 has virtually no load and only moves about 1.5 inches in and out. We only use it when motoring; mostly in and out of the marina. I have had the same TP22 in service for at least 10 years. I open it up once a year and clean everything and lube up the mechanical parts.
Old 16-04-2018, 20:12   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Let’s try that again with speel check OFF:

Agreed about the RM tiller pilots EXCEPT when driving a wind vane input they have near zero load and then the small motor is fine. And at the cost you can buy 3 as backups.
I have killed a RM and a Simrad TP with water ingress. The seals aren't very good, and the units can pump water inside as the rams go in and out, Not much water, but it seems that it doesn't take much salt water to fry the circuit board. So a good water resistant cover makes sense even if it has light duties on a windvane.

I've had some success attaching a TP directly to the wheel. The range of helm is limited, but enough for low wind motoring conditions.
Old 16-04-2018, 20:28   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Autopilot uses lines like windvane so can share some hardware and works on tiller or wheel.

Total cost for autopilot is < $200. Including windshield wiper motor. Possible to use 2 wiper motors instead of one and a bearing for more torque.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ZaLBRRelT-M
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 20:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I've had some success attaching a TP directly to the wheel. The range of helm is limited, but enough for low wind motoring conditions.
Piccy of the crude proof of concept. Worked extremely well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1523935795803.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	168254
Old 16-04-2018, 21:27   #20

There is a mass of 12v linear actuators with or without clutches on the internets, eBay or alibaba.

Anyone used one as a replacement for a raymarine linear drive?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 22:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Autopilot uses lines like windvane so can share some hardware and works on tiller or wheel.

Total cost for autopilot is < $200. Including windshield wiper motor. Possible to use 2 wiper motors instead of one and a bearing for more torque.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ZaLBRRelT-M
https://youtu.be/ZaLBRRelT-M

This link worked better for me. Very clever Sean. I'd love to build one.

More info here http://pypilot.org
Old 17-04-2018, 12:19   #22

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
There is a mass of 12v linear actuators with or without clutches on the internets, eBay or alibaba.

Anyone used one as a replacement for a raymarine linear drive?
I am all for saving money and I don't believe everything has to come from the big marine electronics companies. But I do believe you get what you pay for.

You could buy 30 of these or two of these for the price of one Raymarine Type 1 Linear Actuator and odds are very good that it would steer your boat. But is it worth it? I suppose that's up to you.
Old 17-04-2018, 14:58   #23

The kicker with a lot of these cheap linear Actuators is the travel speed. Eg the £48 one linked to above has a travel speed of 10mm/sec. Others on ebay have 4mm/sec. This is not fast enough to drive a boat.
Old 17-04-2018, 15:22   #24

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have had a CPT autopilot now for 5 years. I absolutely love it. Below or some videos I shot on my sailboat in a few different conditions.

The power draw is extremely low. I would have to say less than 10 hours in a day. I have been out with my CPT in 20-plus knot winds. It does require sail balancing, however. In that type of wind.

Here are the links to the videos:

https://youtu.be/BzqWCvYMs14

https://youtu.be/RyBtTZZPhus

I have a few other videos that show essentially more of the same where I am single handling and the CPT is driving the boat.

Jeff and his son who own CPT are absolutely phenomenal. I've had numerous questions over the years and they get right on the phone and help me. They were on the phone as I was installing it because there were questions. I can't say good enough things about them and CPT.

I was at having a problem with the autopilot that turned out to have nothing to do with the autopilot but had to do with the breaker panel. They shipped me a free replacement just in case so I wouldn't have any down time.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 02:19   #25

I really like the idea of the Hydrovane, but they're not cheap. Were also planning to put an arch on which further complicates self-steering. If we were going further afield then it might make more sense.

CPT looks interesting, and quite a bit cheaper than a full RM backup. I'm back out to the boat in a couple of weeks so will measure it up and look into it further if it would fit.

Simplest option does seem to be straight replacement parts for the RM system. So that's the linear drive, control unit and heading sensor? Is the display head required?
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 14:03   #26

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Snow, If you're using a tiller pilot as a backup attached to your wheel, why not attach it to your emergency tiller? Seems like it should work better there...

(oops, just realized the thread date... doh!)
anotherT34C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:26   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
The kicker with a lot of these cheap linear Actuators is the travel speed. Eg the £48 one linked to above has a travel speed of 10mm/sec. Others on ebay have 4mm/sec. This is not fast enough to drive a boat.
Look at the one Pelagic is using, wxhongba.com

http://wenjian.wxbantian.cn/英文版/HB-DJ809英文版.pdf

Speed from 5 to 55mm/sec as requested
200nm
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, steering, wheel