Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 16:14   #1

Boat: Catalina
Alternator Diodes?

Hi,

I own a small marine diesel (bukh dv8) and have recently been having alternator charging problems (12.6-13v only). This has come on rather suddenly... Before hand I was getting a solid 13.4v.

I recently had a problem with the engine key switch, it physically jammed . To get the engine going I though I was macgyver and hot wired the starter wire to positive and got it started no problems.

It then occurred to me that the alternator was running without the "accessories" on, as the key switch remained in the off position.

Could this have damaged my alternator/diodes?

Thanks,
Macgyver
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 16:25   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Alternator diodes?

Possibily but not usually; a dud battery could also be the culprit for the low charging volts.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 21:45   #3

Re: Alternator diodes?

your alt probably needs an ign source to start itself up. that might be the reason it's not working.

stop jury rigging crap and fix it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator