Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 13:30   #1

Boat: Gozzard 41
AIS ane E 80

Has anyone put AIS ontheir Ray Marine E 80? Was the installation difficult and how is it working?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Frank, Eleanor Q
Eleanor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 07:38   #2

Hi, I put a ais rx onto a e80, really easy. But remember to turn on ais in the e80 menu. This means setting setting the I/o speed to 38,400 which will knock out any low speed devices that you have connected to the e80. This is not a problem if you use a Raymarine ais because you interface via Seatalk. I just fitted a em-trec ais transponder to my new boat and it is wonderful I am receiving ais data from other boats more than 20 miles distant. Alas this boat has a older Garmin 2006 which cannot display ais
Bazzer
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:16   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: AIS ane E 80

Eleanor

I have a "Classic" E-120 with a Raymarine AIS 500 unit. The AIS unit has a built in spilter and I use my mast head antenna for optimal range. The software is easy to use and provides you with an additional tool for navigation, especially around busy ports or marinas.

As you are probably aware, IMO and USCG regulations require most boats over 65 feet to have transmitting AIS (Class A) and more and more recreational boat under 65 feet are also using Class B AIS units.

The AIS system basically transmits two messages in binary form that your AIS interpets. This is done on two different frequencies. One string is the basic boat information, like name, call sign and dimensions, which transmits less frequently and the other is the dynamic information like position and speed over ground, which transmits regularly.

The most obvious difference between the two classes of AIS, for our purpose is transmit power and how many times a minutes the unit transmits. Class A transmits at 12 watts and Class B transmits at 2 watts. How often the Class A unit transmits is directly related to the vessel's speed over ground. The Class B unit on the other hand normally only transmits every 30 seconds, reguardless of speed over ground.

Receive distance depends on the enviroment and height of your antenna. Things like the boat rolling in heavy seas decreases the range dramatically. In calm waters, my AIS Class B transmitts about 8-12 miles and receives about 50 miles of complete AIS infomration and up to 100 miles with partial AIS infomration

As bazzer mentioned, the AIS works at 38,400 BPS, which is not the same speed as most marine DSC radios. I bring this up because when I first tried AIS, I went with a Nobletech Receiver, which worked off NEMA 0183. Because of the difference in baud rates, the NEMA did not allow the ICOM radios to use their DSC functions at this high speed baud rate.

Using the Raymarine AIS units (Receive Only or Class B) elliminates the NEMA this problem, since the unit will use Seatalk to interphase the AIS unit and the NEMA can be used for other things like your DSC radios.

I think the newer E Series Widescreens have multiple NEMA outputs, which should also correct the conflict, if you can control the baud rates individually

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:03   #4

Boat: Gozzard 41

Hey guys, thanks for the reply!
I’m looking at the Ray Marine 650. The Ray Marine tech told me that it would not Support Sea talk on the E 80 and that I would need to use NEMA; sounds like that’s not a problem. I have a unit at the helm and one at my chart table. I’ll l likely tap into the one at the chart table.
Bazzer, what are some examples of “low speed devices”? I definitely don’t want to lose/affect anything I have: Pilot, wind, depth, speed ect.
Frank,
Eleanor Q
Eleanor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Q View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the reply!
I’m looking at the Ray Marine 650. The Ray Marine tech told me that it would not Support Sea talk on the E 80 and that I would need to use NEMA; sounds like that’s not a problem. I have a unit at the helm and one at my chart table. I’ll l likely tap into the one at the chart table.
Bazzer, what are some examples of “low speed devices”? I definitely don’t want to lose/affect anything I have: Pilot, wind, depth, speed ect.
Frank,
Eleanor Q
It does Seatalk NG not regular seatalk.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais