Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 08:02   #16

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: AIS...all in one radio or computer/opencpn

For me, the major advantage of the VHF/AIS combo is that it allows you to direct a DSC call to a target vessel without having to enter the MMSI into the radio. I don't own such a unit but I saw that it was possible with the Standard VHF when helping a friend install one on his boat.
I'm still using an old SR161 receiver and an ICOM 406 VHF. I use AIS primarily as a comm aid and secondarily as a watch keeping aid. The value is being able to call a vessel using its name and call sign. That is much more reliable than trying to contact the vessel using a lat/lon from a radar display. Even then I've had a number of vessels ignore my VHF calls. However, I don't believe those vessels would have ignored a DSC call. At least on my 406, the klaxon on a DSC call will wake the dead.
It may be possible with newer VHFs and chart displays to upload the AIS target MMSI to the VHF with NMEA 183/2000, but having that function in one box would be a great advantage.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:05   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

Matt,
While it is true that the "splitter" is built-in to the VHF radios with built-in AIS receivers, the whole truth is that you do NOT need a $200+ splitter for a Receive-Only AIS receiver, as you would for an AIS transponder....(many use a $40 - $50 splitter with good results!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
An awesome feature of the VHF radios with built in AIS, is that the antenna splitter is built in. No need to spend two hundred for an additional spliter/antenna like you do with other AIS options.
Just wanted everyone to be comparing apples-to-apples, rather than apples-to-oranges....

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:07   #18

FamilyVan,
THANK YOU for sharing this!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I'm happy with my receive only system. I don't generally trust people not to run over me, so I'm mostly concerned with where they are so I can take an active approach to collision avoidance.
FYI, I too take an active approach to collision avoidance, following Coll Regs, of course!!
And, never rely on electronics to keep me from running into something, nor being run into!!!
BUT...

But, I may have exaggerated my statement that I've never heard anyone with an AIS receiver, that didn't wish they had a transponder!!!
You may not have been the first sailor I've heard from, who had an AIS receiver, that didn't wish they had an AIS transponder....but most are more concerned about cost, power consumption, etc. and possible added complexity to their electronics system.
But, in all honesty, yours is a rare opinion...

(FYI, I sailed for decades without any AIS...and for about 6 years with an AIS rec-only....and now ~ 3 years with the transponder....and I like the transponder!!)

Fair winds...

John
Old 16-04-2015, 08:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
FamilyVan,
THANK YOU for sharing this!!
FYI, I too take an active approach to collision avoidance, following Coll Regs, of course!!
And, never rely on electronics to keep me from running into something, nor being run into!!!
BUT...

But, you are the first sailor I've heard from, who had an AIS receiver, that didn't wish they had an AIS transponder....except for the $$$ and possible added complexity to their electronics system, you're the first I've heard from that didn't wish for a transponder...
(FYI, I sailed for decades without any AIS...and for about 6 years with an AIS rec-only....and now ~ 3 years with the transponder....and I like the transponder!!)

Fair winds...

John
Well, it is about cost and complexity for me. If there was a full AIS system + VHF + GPS that was the same cost and complexity of a GX2200, I would get it, but to the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists. If it wasn't for cost and complexity I would also have a couple of BridgeMaster E's installed in my nav station, designing your boat systems is all about compromise, safety, cost, complexity, space, power consumption are all factors.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:21   #20

Yeah, as I wrote, I exaggerated when a said you are the first one I've heard from that didn't wish for a transponder....
I should've written that aside from the cost / complexity issues, most who have used AIS rec-only, have desired a transponder at some point...

And unfortunately, you are correct here, there is NO AIS Class B transponder, with built-in full VHF Radio...or vice-versa, NO full VHF-DSC radio with built-in Class B AIS transponder!!
Quote:
Well, it is about cost and complexity for me. If there was a full AIS system + VHF + GPS that was the same cost and complexity of a GX2200, I would get it, but to the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists.
At this point there is no such animal available!
And, worse is that nobody has even showed a prototype of one....and from prototype to FCC approval to manufacture would take a while (a year??)....
So, it might be another year (or more) before we see such a product...if ever...

And here, I couldn't agree more!!
Quote:
...designing your boat systems is all about compromise, safety, cost, complexity, space, power consumption are all factors.

The main point I was trying to make, and should've just stopped there, was for Mr Big to be aware that the "options" he was posting about were AIS receive-only....
I probably shouldn't be posting while I'm working!!! Not getting either done effectively!!!

Fair winds...

John
Old 16-04-2015, 08:30   #21

Boat: Tayana 37

We had a Watchmate receiver on our last boat and I am a big fan. Used it on a two-month crossing of North Pacific and it used very little power. It and the gps were the only devices always on.

A Watchmate will be the first installation on our new-to-us boat, but we will go with a transceiver.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:43   #22

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

I have a Standard 2200 and and am considering adding a transponder. Has anyone looked into the Matsutec HA-102 Marine AIS receiver and transmitter system? Here is one supplier that has it for $270.
Aliexpress.com : Buy Matsutec HA 102 Marine AIS receiver and transmitter system from Reliable receiver microphone suppliers on SINO BELL 's store | Alibaba Group

Compared to what was available before GPS and AIS, I would consider any system out there to be phenomenally better for safety. Accordingly, I can do without the "best."
In addition to the suggestions already made, any advice about the Matsutec HA 102 unit as well as other devices and/or setup requirements will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:48   #23

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

I just noticed Pendragon is satisfied with the Matsutec 33A. Additional comments will still be appreciated.
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:50   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJennie View Post
I have a Standard 2200 and and am considering adding a transponder. Has anyone looked into the Matsutec HA-102 Marine AIS receiver and transmitter system? Here is one supplier that has it for $270.
Aliexpress.com : Buy Matsutec HA 102 Marine AIS receiver and transmitter system from Reliable receiver microphone suppliers on SINO BELL 's store | Alibaba Group

Compared to what was available before GPS and AIS, I would consider any system out there to be phenomenally better for safety. Accordingly, I can do without the "best."
In addition to the suggestions already made, any advice about the Matsutec HA 102 unit as well as other devices and/or setup requirements will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
We looked at those too. Their were (are?) the supplier for Furunos AIS. I just wish it had nmea2000 and fcc approval.
Old 16-04-2015, 09:41   #25

Boat: Catalina 387

I have a 2150, wish I had the 2200. RAM in the cockpit, and it's hooked to the computer running Ocpn.

Does everything I need, can see the targets on the chart, can follow them on the radio or RAM.

If I had the 2200, I could get rid of the hockeypuck gps rx I use for ocpn.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:04   #26

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

While moving down the Detroit River and into Lower Lake Erie (on a friend's boat) on a windy building overnight passage it was VERY nice to have AIS on the chart plotter at the wheel. Lots and lots of ships on the screen as we tacked back and forth by the shipping channel, all moving faster than we were. Not to hijack a thread but my C70 Raymarine says it will take an AIS feed - but I want to go really cheap (hence the C70 :-) ) - does anyone have a recommendation?
RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:16   #27

Boat: Cadtana 431

I agree with John: the Vesper is a great device. I can see more vessels and get more info on those vessels than any other set-up I've used. It has four different "modes" and each has a bunch of settings, so that offhosre, for example, it can show everything but only alert you if a vessel is predicted to come within two miels of you. In the harbor setting, you can have it now show anything more than X miles away, and onlyh alert you to vessels that are predicted to come within half a mile of you. It akeas a while to "tune" the device, but eveeryone who has come aboard and used my AIS comes away impressed.
-Steve
sailsw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:23   #28

Rolf,
As John Stevens wrote, the Smart Radio receivers do work, and are pretty reasonably priced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I'm still using an old SR161 receiver and an ICOM 406 VHF. I use AIS primarily as a comm aid and secondarily as a watch keeping aid. The value is being able to call a vessel using its name and call sign. That is much more reliable than trying to contact the vessel using a lat/lon from a radar display. Even then I've had a number of vessels ignore my VHF calls. However, I don't believe those vessels would have ignored a DSC call.
And, while they will serve your purpose....the SR161 is a single-channel, scanning unit, and very basic....and the SR162 being a dual-channel device....either would be recommended for a basic AIS rec-only device....
But, you may find spending a tiny-bit more than the SR161 costs, will get you a LOT more!!

The Smart Radio SR161 is $190....and the SR162 is $400!!!
Smart Radio SR161 AIS Receiver
Smart Radio SR162 AIS Receiver

http://www.milltechmarine.com/custom...s_receiver.pdf

The Standard Horizon GX2200 is also $400....so, buying an SR162 seems a bit of a waste...
But, if you already have a Class D VHF-DSC Radio, then I'd say either the Vesper Watchmate 750 AIS receiver (at $295), or the SR161 (at $190)...

The Vesper Watchmate 750 AIS receiver and display, is only $295!!!!
WatchMate 750 AIS Receiver | Vesper Marine

And, while I understand your question and desire to just send your AIS target info to the Raymarine C70, which any of these devices I highlight above will do....
The Vesper will also give you a truly GREAT AIS display....with very low power consumption, and full-sunlight viewable display...
But, even better, is the Vesper "CPA" display page!!
Vesper is the only AIS manufacturer that has this CPA display....a couple others have "vectors", etc. but nobody comes close to what Vesper gives you!!

I hope this helps..

John
Old 16-04-2015, 10:35   #29

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Rolfp,
Just to add a little bit what other John posted. Any of the low cost NMEA 183 outputting AIS receivers (SR-16x, NASA AIS Engine, etc.) will work with your C70 as long as you are on one of the firmware upgrades since 2007. However implementing that interface will require running the C70 NMEA 183 ports (both input and output) at 38,400 Baud. If you currently use the NMEA output to feed other devices (e.g., GPS data to a DSC VHF) or receive NMEA data on the C70 (e.g., GPS data), you will likely loose some existing functionality. If all the existing device that talk with your C70 are SeaTalk devices then this is a non-issue. Otherwise you will need to find a way to maintain your existing capability when the C70 NMEA is configured at 38,400 Baud. There are a number of ways to do this, but most require additional hardware (e.g., NMEA multiplexer).

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 11:09   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

We too have a SH radio with AIS in it.

I love it. My crew love it. It is a keeper.

We have the wires in place BUT I never use the laptop for AIS underway. Somehow I find the small screen of the radio good enough.

Now that AIS objects can be easily seen on a tablet or a smartphone, I will probably start using a tablet for this too in the cockpit. We used tablet for navigation last time in the West Indies and it was fine.

So this is what works for us fine, in a small boat way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, enc, opencpn, radio, rope