Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 12:03   #31

Boat: C&C 34
Re: AIS...all in one radio or computer/opencpn

Call Mike at Milltech Marine. If you are looking at an AIS receiver only there are much more inexpensive solutions. I have Transponder on the boat and use a couple of SR 161 receivers at the marina and at home.
Truemettle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 12:33   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
But, even better, is the Vesper "CPA" display page!!
Vesper is the only AIS manufacturer that has this CPA display....a couple others have "vectors", etc. but nobody comes close to what Vesper gives you!!

OpenCPN does this, and I think Coastal Explorer does also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 12:59   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
AIS...all in one radio or computer/opencpn

I have a 2150 connected to my plotter. It is okay.

But if I had to do again, I'd get an AIS transponder. Better to be seen and to see others.

Many transponders also have a wifi transmitter. This is great because for $100 or so buy an android tablet, download opencpn, FREE charts and then link to the wifi. VIOLA! Instant backup integrated chart plotter.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 13:16   #34

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Our boat came with an AIS transponder [Vesper Watchmate 850 integrated with chartplotter]and I wouldn't be without it. You can choose whether you are broadcasting your own position, and it has an excellent anchor alarm feature [and don't forget you can broadcast your status on AIS; e.g., aground, at anchor, etc...]

We also standardized our MOB alert system on the AIS units available [e.g., McMurdo SmartFind S20] so AIS reception is critical to this function.

Therefore, we are also replacing our 2 older VHF radios with new units that include AIS rx and GPS. [The new radios are on the boat awaiting install...]

One is the SH 2200 with a RAM3 mike. The other is the B&G VF50 with wireless remote mike. Both will be integrated with our N2k network, and both will have AIS rx and GPS turned off, only to be turned on if primary units fail.

We think AIS is important enough to have back-up capability.

YMMV

Cheers!
Old 16-04-2015, 14:21   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big View Post
Hello!

Looking to add AIS to my boat and I'm looking for a quicker and easier solution, if that's possible.

I'm looking at two options:

Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF, AIS, GPS combo radio which is all in one and easy to use but might be hard to see on the small radio screen...

Or, using my notebook computer which will be running opencpn as a back up at my NAV station. I like the computer for its easier to read screen and possibly integrating more systems later.

I have a Hummingbird chart plotter/fish finder in the cockpit and I'll be using an iPad and nav program as a back up in the cockpit. And the computer will be below and will hopefully be connected to receive weather info and run opencpn as a back up to all the other stuff...

I was looking at plugging the following into the USB ports on the laptop:

USB GPS Amazon.com: GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation

USB AIS Antenna Amazon.com : Digital Yacht uAIS Smart AIS Antenna w/USB Power/Data : Boating Antennas : Electronics

And then using the last USB slot to switch between the printer and radio to receive weather info...

I was hoping to hear from people running one or the other to see what they like of if there are any other options I should know...

I did see this NooElec - NooElec NESDR Mini SDR & DVB-T USB Stick (RTL2832 + R820T) w/ Antenna and Remote Control - SDR Receivers - Software Defined Radio and I wonder if it works as well or better as the USB antenna.

Thanks for your help!

Happy Sailing!
I bought the Garmin GPS puck. I was told the Globalsat was difficult to interphase with OpenCPN.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:19   #36

Like others, I'm happy with the SH GX2200. I even connected the AIS data to the boat's NMEA 0183 wireless network. Now I have boat data and AIS on the iPad!
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 18:58   #37

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

The SH - GX2200 has built in GPS receiver no need for GPS antenna depending on install. AIS input - output with only a VHF antenna . Can be hooked up to a PC, Laptop , Tablet , etc with a Milltech marine / USB-Breakout-cable . And it is NEMA 0183 .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
The SH - GX2200 has built in GPS receiver no need for GPS antenna depending on install. AIS input - output with only a VHF antenna . Can be hooked up to a PC, Laptop , Tablet , etc with a Milltech marine / USB-Breakout-cable . And it is NEMA 0183 .
It does not have AIS output - it is receive-only.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-04-2015, 20:13   #39

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Yep Mark you are correct , it receives only . Well that was not what i wanted / hoped / thought i bought . Seems a person can check to many electronic devices and miss something . Not to worry , lot s of LED lights to see me at night anchored in 2ft of water. Or i can stay out of others way sailing my minnow .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:41   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
FamilyVan,
THANK YOU for sharing this!!

But, I may have exaggerated my statement that I've never heard anyone with an AIS receiver, that didn't wish they had a transponder!!!
You may not have been the first sailor I've heard from, who had an AIS receiver, that didn't wish they had an AIS transponder....but most are more concerned about cost, power consumption, etc. and possible added complexity to their electronics system.
But, in all honesty, yours is a rare opinion...

Fair winds...

John
We're also in the AIS receive only camp with no interest in having a transponder.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 02:07   #41

Boat: Spray Replica

We installed a GX 2200 last year. They are fantastic value. Apart from the AIS the radio is a great VHF and the GPS is quick to acquire a signal and as accurate as any of the other standalone systems on board. Installation was a breeze.

I have NMEA data feeding both a Raymarine E7D and a 19" screen running opencpn.

The 19" screen swings into the companionway whilst underway.

The GX 2200 screen is difficult to read; however so is the E7D. The AIS features on E7D are not as clear to read as opencpn. In congested areas or when approaching an anchorage we prefer the opencpn. Other wise the E7D is on 24/7 with the radio and so are their alarms.

Every one will have their own opinion with regards to receive only. I will share my thoughts.

We find that cruising in SE Asia I would prefer that not everyone knows that I am a 15m Pleasure yacht.

So far as commercial shipping seeing you, I think it is good seamanship for small vessels to stay away from large commercial ships. They do have right of way no matter what you think. The AIS GX2200 makes that very simple. If you sail around thinking that every ship has AIS and will get out of your way then you are going to be in for a rude shock.

The push to call feature is great.. We encountered a tug towing a large barge at about 3.00 am on a moonless night on approach to Borneo. Because of the feature we were able to contact the captain and ascertain safe crossing distance to his stern.

In the future when we arrive in Japan and cross to the Aleutians we may upgrade then if I feel the need. The good news is the longer you wait to install a transponder the cheaper they are becoming. Who knows what companies like Standard Horizon are thinking. Having a transmitter as well as the GX2200 will give me a little more redundancy.

Long story/short the GX 2200 is a fantastic piece of gear.

Garry
sv Spirit of Sobraon
Home Page - www.sobraon.com
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 06:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
Yep Mark you are correct , it receives only . Well that was not what i wanted / hoped / thought i bought . Seems a person can check to many electronic devices and miss something .
That is one complaint I have about that radio - they advertise it as "AIS right out of the box" and do not do a good job of stressing it is a receive-only unit.

If you check the many previous threads here referencing this radio, you will find a lot of people who were led to believe it was a full AIS receive/transmit solution.

Mark

Old 17-04-2015, 06:25   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I'm happy with my receive only system. I don't generally trust people not to run over me, so I'm mostly concerned with where they are so I can take an active approach to collision avoidance.
Just because you broadcast AIS, doesn't mean you have to assume that people see you

Broadcasting AIS sure improves your odds of being seen, and more important, being prioritized as traffic to deal with. I have observed in myself the tendency to greatly downgrade the importance of traffic not broadcasting AIS, in my own mind. Which is bad, and I fight against it, but I think it's human nature.

But I'm not arguing that it's a necessity. It depends on where you sail. For most sailors, receiving only is probably fine. Probably 90% of the value of AIS is in receiving it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 06:28   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Like others, I'm happy with the SH GX2200. I even connected the AIS data to the boat's NMEA 0183 wireless network. Now I have boat data and AIS on the iPad!
Don
Don, I've been thinking about doing this. What do you use as your hub? How do you connect and then wifi transmit. I use iNavx (as a backup). Is that what you're using?
Old 17-04-2015, 06:33   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
For most sailors, receiving only is probably fine. Probably 90% of the value of AIS is in receiving it.
Isn't that a chicken-egg problem? What do you receive when no one is transmitting?

Mark

Tags
ais, enc, opencpn, radio, rope