Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 16:11   #1

Boat: Custom 52
You Can Use Your Heritage To Get A Second Passport In The EU

Just came across this article and knowing the pain some of the non-EU
long-term cruisers go through when sailing the Med and other European waters (country check/in/out, 90 days etc) this might be something to look into.

As the article states you can potentially get a passport of an EU country by descent that can go back many generations ...

Here's a link to the Forbes article - https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriew...h=4b54420d5a6d

and this is the company - https://www.embarkbeyond.com/dual-passport

I have no affiliation with the firm and no idea if they are legit but given they were interviewed by Forbes they don't look like scammers.
Rainbowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:43   #2

Re: You Can Use Your Heritage To Get A Second Passport In The EU

Seems awfully expensive for something that you can research and do on your own. Ireland's rules, as an example, for getting a passport if you are of Irish descent are clearly published on their website, and relatively easy to follow. Do it yourself and it will cost you, at most, a couple of hundred dollars rather than the $2k that this company charges.

Of course, some people prefer the convenience of having someone else handle all of the paperwork for them. That's fine, if that's what you want. I just think it's worth knowing that it is not that difficult to do yourself, for a whole lot less money.

Very reminiscent of the companies that will arrange your boat's USCG documentation for you, for a (usually rather large) fee. Not at all necessary, but some people prefer the convenience.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:15   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Coming from a family that fled the Russians in 1939 I am eligible for a passport from an EU country. No need for a large bank account, I just have to be willing to get all the documents in order and submit.

Had the recent US election turned out differently, I would have done so. And, having looked into the paperwork, I’d pay an agent to assist me with the apostiles, affidavits and translations.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 14:07   #4

Boat: Looking

I can trace my family back to Germany and Ireland. I'm not sure what good that would do me until I start traveling around EU. Would it knock me out of my Social Security income?
Old 06-02-2021, 15:00   #5

No not anymore, We left.

The rules vary by country, If you qualify for National citizen ship or resident, extends to European.

Often depends when you were born. Rules change, however if you were born before the rule change you often qualify under older rules.
Other changes Maternal or Fraternal heritage makes a difference. Or made a difference.
Now they are equally applied. However this does not always back date.

having been born in the UK. I have UK citizen ship by right.
My kids qualify for UK citizen ship. And two have applied, one went and worked there for a while.
After applying for a passport. He had to apply for a National insurance No. which took a few weeks.
At the time this included the ability as a British citizen and resident to live and work in the EU.

My Grand children will not qualify for uk citizen ship unless they are born in the UK.

I believe they will be able to apply for some kind of status but not a citizen.

Further back than Grandparents, you are just in with all the rest as far as I know.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote