Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2023, 10:16   #1

when cruising plans meet life, change of course.

My Name is Mike Burkinshaw and needless to say I am not the only one that this sort of thing happens to. life takes different twists and sometimes control is not always within reach.

a brief summary on how things went..
my two girls and now ex spouse had plans to travel by sailboat until the girls were of age to go off on their own, we had a 65' steel sailboat, our home was for sale, and I was in the process of closing up my metal fabrication business. my then spouse had a late in life coming out of the closet as a lesbian.

BOOM that put a full stop on basically everything!

coming up 4 years later I have remarried, re-fired my business with a clear goal of creating a world class business that would keep me as close to the cruising life as possible while waiting for my children to reach adulthood. (work-life integration)
I had previously built an all aluminum tender for us to use on the sailboat we had purchased. I personally never liked the throw away nature of a RHIB boat. so I made my own version I took that "prototype" and developed over the past 4 years into a saleable product. we branded it with the name Fish Whistle.

we market released this product at the 2023 Vancouver international boat show and Seattle international boat show with encouraging results. (making things is easy, marketing it seems is the hardest part)

we have 4 dealers 2 in Washington state and two in southwestern BC.
currently 3 boat sizes 8'6",10'6" and 12'6" these models are a bit heavy to be a tender on smaller cruising boats. at 300,350 and 690lbs but feature rich and unsinkable,
we are working on designs for a lighter series around the 100-200lb range to accommodate the demand from smaller cruisers

we have some larger fishing boats almost ready to produce.

we have also contacted the admin here to see about being a sponsor, however I want to hear from everyone if what we offer would be a welcome addition here.

mods if I am breaking any rules please contact me, I would also like to post some pictures and a link,

any content we add will be of the highest value to this community, with knowledge shared freely as I am a boat lover and sailor. as well as listening to those that want to share what they think would make what we are doing more valuable to the people.
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 02:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: when cruising plans meet life, change of course.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

Fish Whistle Boats ➥ https://fishwhistleboats.com/

10 Ft Model:

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 04:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: when cruising plans meet life, change of course.

Good luck Mike, and fair winds.

Tags
cruising