Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 19:45   #1

Tracking for family and friends

What site(s) do people use to allow friends and family to track their whereabouts? I can see some site that a cruiser could put in their Lat/Long and the site would put either a track or just a point on a world map.

If people don't have a favorite would you like such a site?
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 19:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Tracking for family and friends

I use an Inreach. There's not much point in having a website where you have to enter Lat/Lon when you are out of internet coverage. Not much point when you are within internet coverage either when Inreach/Spot etc will do it for you automatically.

Failing that an AIS and sites like Marinetraffic are also an option for automated tracking.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Google “Satellite Messengers

3 Best Satellite Messengers 2020:
Garmin inReach, Somewear, & Zoleo Best of the Best
And just to be clear, after months of field testing we determined that these are the best three units on the market. They are all great and worth your consideration. Depending on your use and budget one may be a better fit for you.
https://www.adventurealan.com/best-s...reach-vs-spot/

ACR, Spot 4, Spot X, Garmin inReach SE+, Explorer+, Mini, GPSMAP 66i, Montana 700i/750i & ZOLEO Comparison
https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/t...omparison.html

Which Satellite Messenger Should I Get? [2018]
Comparing the SPOT X, SPOT Gen3, Garmin inReach Mini and Garmin inReach Explorer+

https://www.rei.com/blog/news/which-...should-you-get

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I use the SpotX, which also serves as a satellite communicator (text) whenever I am outside cell phone coverage for other reasons. It, and the similar Garmin unit, supply tracking, I'm OK messages, messages, and world wide SOS.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:50   #5

I would mention that there are any number of things that can cause these trackers to miss a fix or two. As such, you need to let family and friends know that they must not panic, and especially must not call search and rescue, at the first sign of a missing fix.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:52   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I use an inReach. It does more that just provide tracking and when I was just looking for best way to be able to get weather it turned out to be the best method in my mind.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:04   #7

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use in reach, as well. Seamlessly links to my cell phone so I can text message my family and friends at will just as if I was land based. There might be a minute or two delay, but that's it.

My wife and I would say good night to each other while I was on passage and then she would wake up in the morning and get on the website to see where I was. I was also able to easily communicate with weather routing Inc to get weather updates.

I also use the inreach when I go out day sailing just so in the winter months I can look back at my tracks and have fun memories.

It's a great device. Really good battery life, as well. That's why I picked it. The settings are very user-friendly and you can make adjustments and have battery life for days.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I use the SpotX, which also serves as a satellite communicator (text) whenever I am outside cell phone coverage for other reasons. It, and the similar Garmin unit, supply tracking, I'm OK messages, messages, and world wide SOS in some parts of the world.
There FIFY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPot.png
Views:	172
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	230043  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:14   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another inReach user here. Automatically sends tracking locations, but also great for distance text communications when nothing else is available. Has weather capabilities which are also useful (although not great).
Old 07-01-2021, 08:39   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

InReach also.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:33   #11

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I love my InReach, and so do my friends and family who live vicariously thru being able to zoom in on the web to experience where I am.
Messaging is very practical. Weather is basic.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:02   #12

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

Just curious as to why there seems to be no support for the Iridium GO, from which position reports can be sent (manually or automatically), as well as texts, simple emails, and voice calls. And it is compatible with connecting with SailMail.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:53   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

You asked about a service for posting your position. We use the free service Farkwar.com. [Created by a cruising sailor...]

You can send a position update via email as often as you want, and include a few paragraphs of text if you like. Friends and family can subscribe to receive notifications whenever you post an update.

In case this is of interest.

PS: Or perhaps you are just probing to see if such a service is desired by the cruising community?
"If people don't have a favorite would you like such a site?"

Cheers! Bill
Old 07-01-2021, 11:02   #14

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
What site(s) do people use to allow friends and family to track their whereabouts? I can see some site that a cruiser could put in their Lat/Long and the site would put either a track or just a point on a world map.
I use an Iridium Go with PredictWind. Not only does PredictWind provide an internet tracking page for your vessel (I set mine to update lat/lon hourly underway), I can also upload a "blog-like" post about events, thoughts, and rants for family and friends to read. (Here is an example of a PredictWind page.)

The Garmin InReach is also a great product and can provide a tracking page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlane1181 View Post
Just curious as to why there seems to be no support for the Iridium GO, from which position reports can be sent (manually or automatically), as well as texts, simple emails, and voice calls. And it is compatible with connecting with SailMail.
Great question! I think this is mostly dependent on location and cruising style.

If your cruising is rarely out of cell / internet range for more than 24-48 hours, then perhaps the expense of Iridium Go and PredictWind is not worth the added value.

But, IMHO if your crossing oceans, or cruising in Pacific islands or SE Asia where internet/cell reception is spotty at best...Iridium Go and PredictWind is definitely value add.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:57   #15

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Another vote for Iridium Go with PredictWind. It shows the current location, past routes, current weather and any comments or notes you wish to ad. It's especially nice for crossings.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Ghost

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family