Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 17:59   #61

Re: Tipping line handlers...What's realistic?

Come on guys! You simply tip what you want for the services you received. There is no set percentage rate for any service someone performs for you.. The bag boy that takes your groceries to the car.. He's being paid by his employer for sure, but was he a pleasant young fellow and help you load the car or did he just stand there with the cart as would be required by his employer ?? So what's slipping him a buck or even two if you wish.. Same kid that carts your groceries down the parking lot hill, across the street, and helps load your dinghy as is done for many on this board I'd imagine.. what do you give him now?? depends on the service.. Did he just take the bags out of the cart and hand them to me? ok.. He gets $5. The guy that wheels the cart down the dinghy dock and hands them to me in the dinghy gets $10.00. It ain't 1970 or whatever no more, and a buck don't buy much as we all know..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 18:24   #62

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I order the lowest-priced wines at restaurants, usually about $30 a bottle. on the rare occasions I order wine. A twenty-percent tip likely represents the retail wine price from the local grocery. I lower the tip-percentage the higher the bill, and don't include sales tax in the calculation, particularly since few meals are more than two courses. A four-hour, multiple course meal could be another matter, but I'm not capable of such consumption/opulence.
Old 26-04-2016, 18:27   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
... It ain't 1970 or whatever no more, and a buck don't buy much as we all know..
My boyhood's ten-dollar bill is equivalent to today's $100.
Old 26-04-2016, 18:42   #64

I'm more inclined to give lower tips where the restaurant's ambiance is low/absent, such as when the sound system is loud or the other diners are noisy. Hate it when diners have to yell thinking it necessary to communicate with the person next-to-hand,
Old 26-04-2016, 19:51   #65

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Wow - a new world. We sail the Great Lakes. Nobody tips. The subject never comes up. Most times, other boaters handle lines as do we when boats come in.
common courtesy amongst fellow boaters,as it should be just like in the rest of the world
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 16:52   #66

Boat: Schooner scow

As the initiator of this huge thread, let me try to pull us back to the original query; what is a REASONABLE tip for marina service providers. This seems to be a uniquely North American issue. Frankly, I feel that unless they do something significantly above and beyond the expected, they should receive our thanks and that's all. When that unique event DOES occur, tip an amount consistent with the deed and your conscience.
Old 29-04-2016, 17:16   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

I agree, but wonder what the line handlers etc. think and how that effects you at the marina.
Old 29-04-2016, 19:23   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I agree, but wonder what the line handlers etc. think and how that effects you at the marina.

My very first time in one marina and first in the USA for me, a pair of very cute young ladies came to help, it was raining really hard and gusting hard and the wet tee shirt show was excellent even if the line handling less so. I was too busy concentrating on getting tied up properly to give tipping a thought until the ladies had left. I never did get in their knickers, now I know why, I thought it was just 'cos I'm old and ugly.
Old 30-04-2016, 03:06   #69

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
As a Brit and having worked for European companies and later my own business throughout Europe as well as having cruised there extensively will concur with Evan. In both France and Spain, the practice of adding percentage tips was generally eased out and replaced with 'servis compris' ( included) on menus although many would add something(metal money usually) as an extra gesture of appreciation.
When was that Robin? I've heard reference to it before but would like a ballpark decade, and any more details if you have them.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 05:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
When was that Robin? I've heard reference to it before but would like a ballpark decade, and any more details if you have them.

It was there in the 70s but more prevalent from the 80s onwards. All 'Menus' as opposed to A La carte were treated as servis compris so if you look at the various menus on the board outside, prices paid were WYSIWYG. It didn't prevent them giving you a credit card slip to sign inviting an added gratuity, but most folk soon learned to ignore that and leave a small extra, often in cash, if the meal and service justified which it usually did. When I first worked for a Spanish company I thought my bosses were being mean when we ate out but looking around realised it was in fact the norm to leave a token tip not a fortune. When I started working in the USA, mid 1980s on behalf of a European company it was a bit of a shock to see a sign in the 'free' bus to the downtown Manhattan hotels from Kennedy that had a big sign up which said prominently ' Minimum Gratuity $18', (IIRC) Counter productive really as I soon learned on subsequent visits to join up with a few fellow travellers and share a limo ride, cheaper overall and more comfortable, still tipped but cost shared between us all. At the time it was difficult even to claim gratuities as expenses from my company who always thought it was a simple employee scam to gain enough extra income to pay for duty free on the plane home. Even more difficult when I had my own business and had to convince the UK tax office of genuine business expenses on my tax returns . I had a UK tax investigation once and the b'tards told me I had to put the 50 cent morning newspaper down as a personal expense not just leave it as part of the overall ($100+) hotel bill..

I cannot remember one single time we ever needed help from a line handler when cruising in western Europe as always some fellow cruiser would rush to assist, if it looked as if help was needed, part of the usual camaraderie not gimmeee gimmeee gimmeee culture!
Old 30-04-2016, 05:58   #71

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Wow - a new world. We sail the Great Lakes. Nobody tips. The subject never comes up. Most times, other boaters handle lines as do we when boats come in.
I would disagree. I think that tipping in the GL, at least Michigan, is about the same as the rest of this thread. Some do, some don't. For some it depends on service, for others they just do not tip period.

In Traverse City I don't find many dock hands jumping to help unless requested and I agree that other boaters are far more liable to help then marina staff. In Northport and Charlevoix you are more apt to have someone standing by after being assigned a slip, and dependent on their knowledge and how well they take orders they are tipped accordingly.When Capt. Jack's group was teaching marina staff in the Bay you could count on staff knowing what to do...not so much anymore.

I always tip the pump out people. Its a crappy job, and because I do they usually take the time to really flush the tank for me. $5-10 well spent in my mind. It also helps that they know you are somewhat generous and things happen faster and you do get some priority. In the scheme of things, with $3,000 +++ slip fees for the season, plus transient fees, fuel fees, pump out fees,.....a couple of hundred dollars a year is a good investment in enhancing your experience. When I am prepping to leave and realize we need some additional ice quickly it is nice to know that one quick call and he ice is there. Worth the tip every time in my book!
Old 30-04-2016, 06:25   #72

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It was NEVER 10%. It's been 15% for as many decades as I remember.

Meanwhile, in 1922, Emily Post wrote, “You will not get good service unless you tip generously,” and “the rule is ten per cent.”

http://time.com/money/3394185/tippin...ities-history/

Sorry Shrew, had nothing to do
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:26   #73

Thanks Robin. When we first lived in Spain in the early '90's we were surprised that tipping was suggested to be a cien, or 100 cents, regardless of the cost of the meal. Being in a touristy area and seeing others do so, we slid back into our 10% ways, which is still the norm there today. Last year we were out with Dutch friends whom we'd never dined out with before and were surprised when they said they normally only ever left a Euro tip. Their explanation was that some years ago there had been a law, or declaration of some sort, which specified that tips were included in the price listed on the menu, so no additional tip was required. From what they said, and what you're saying, it seems like the European attempt to eliminate tipping didn't work out so well for them. That, to my way of thinking, is a real shame.

Quote:
Wow. Some of the comments are so off base I have to say I am appalled. Somehow we went from marina tipping for pump outs and line handling to restaurant etiquette. 20% is standard regardless if you order a hamburger or $140.00 steak (think Japanese Wagyu). Federal law in the US now prohibits 'auto-gratuities' although enforcement and culture has not caught on completely yet and now some charge pre-approved 'service charges'. If you can afford to spend $200 on a bottle of wine, you should tip appropriately. We don't make the min. Wage law, but some of us work in restaurants and deliver exceptional products and service and expect to be compensated. The argument of if it 'right' or not should not to be taken out on those working for a living and providing the services. There is always 2 sides to an argument and this one is frustrating as I have made my living and boat kitty serving in restaurants and managing them.
Your comment is totally off base for much of the world, and I would suggest is based on the bubble you live in. I've never tipped 20%--ever--and never will. 10% is a norm, up to 15% for excellent service, and a single penny for terrible service. If I have to pay 20% for a routine tip, I won't go out.

Further, I balk at the various attempts I encounter to see tipping introduced in other areas, such as for housekeeping staff in hotels or those jars at the coffee shop cash.

To get to the OP's question I do not tip marinaros at marinas in Spain although I have seen it done occasionally. Count me in the crowd that does not approve of any routine tipping but will gladly provide a reward for going above & beyond.
Old 30-04-2016, 06:28   #74

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

As this is a personal discretionary matter, all of the above responses are of course, appropriate. I used to park cars in my late teens so I know tips are important to seasonal help, and appreciated.

I tend to look upon tips as a "thank you for outstanding service" but I also look at them as a way to assure better service in a place where I'm a repeat customer. For example, if you frequent a place where there's a busy launch that gets backlogged in peak periods, being a consistent tipper can get you picked up faster.

I usually give a launch operator $4 or $5 there's multiple people in my group, or for just myself I give $2 or $3. In one place I visit frequently we've had multiple launch drivers vie on the radio for my pickup -- first one said "I've got it" and the other said "I'm closer, I've got it". Made me smile.

At a dock I usually tip $5 if they go out of their way to help. If they're already standing there and just assist with one line, maybe or maybe not. If multiple people I'll usually tip the one who helps most or who seems to be in charge. It's not a rule to me but in most cases line handling or handing me a hose is worth only so much $ per stop.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:24   #75

Sorry OP, I'm still on the restaurant aspect, but I suspect the theory behind it is also applicable to marinaros.
Quote:
Thanks Robin. When we first lived in Spain in the early '90's we were surprised that tipping was suggested to be a cien, or 100 cents, regardless of the cost of the meal. Being in a touristy area and seeing others do so, we slid back into our 10% ways, which is still the norm there today. Last year we were out with Dutch friends whom we'd never dined out with before and were surprised when they said they normally only ever left a Euro tip. Their explanation was that some years ago there had been a law, or declaration of some sort, which specified that tips were included in the price listed on the menu, so no additional tip was required. From what they said, and what you're saying, it seems like the European attempt to eliminate tipping didn't work out so well for them. That, to my way of thinking, is a real shame.
I've been doing some more reading on this subject, & what I'm seeing is that a euro or two, per person, is generally deemed an acceptable tip in a restaurant, and none is necessary. 10% is high. Also, many countries do indicate on their menu or invoice that services are included, which means service/tips. It goes back to the fact that European waiters are actually paid descent wages, unlike their N. American counterparts.