Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 11:34   #136
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

The engine or fuel is a recurring problem.
Since your voyage began, it seems to be a real obstacle (intermittent) for progress.

From what I have read, it seems you have done a lot to repair or replace or refuel (or clean tanks, etc.).

I think a new post that identifies the engine model/year and also consolidates or outlines ALL of the things you have done (with associated costs of labor and parts) to try to fix the fuel/engine problem would be useful to post, as it would show the steps you took or had to take or your troubleshooting of the problems. It may help other buyers or sailors.

Similarly, I think this thread is a good one for referral in the future, when new buyers of old boats consider making a long voyage in a boat that has been sitting for a long time (as I recall this one has prior to your purchase). In short: This is what can happen.

Good luck and I hope things turn more favorably for you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:06   #137

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yikes! Phil, hang in there, it will get better and one day you will look back on these trying days as a rite of passage, one that you have successfully negotiated.

Jim
Hopefully Phil can someday look back and laugh at it as a good experience.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:40   #138

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Phil, sorry to hear you are still having problems...or happy you are still having adventures depending on your point of view.

I'm certain you would already have thought of this but did you check the fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank? Could it become blocked even intermittently by the black rubbery material you described?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:59   #139

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yikes! Phil, hang in there, it will get better and one day you will look back on these trying days as a rite of passage, one that you have successfully negotiated.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm still hanging!
Old 20-01-2017, 14:02   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The engine or fuel is a recurring problem.
Since your voyage began, it seems to be a real obstacle (intermittent) for progress.

From what I have read, it seems you have done a lot to repair or replace or refuel (or clean tanks, etc.).

I think a new post that identifies the engine model/year and also consolidates or outlines ALL of the things you have done (with associated costs of labor and parts) to try to fix the fuel/engine problem would be useful to post, as it would show the steps you took or had to take or your troubleshooting of the problems. It may help other buyers or sailors.

Similarly, I think this thread is a good one for referral in the future, when new buyers of old boats consider making a long voyage in a boat that has been sitting for a long time (as I recall this one has prior to your purchase). In short: This is what can happen.

Good luck and I hope things turn more favorably for you.
Hi Steady. You are of course correct. I have been cataloguing everything but I'm still too busy to compile and post it. That will have to come later.
Old 20-01-2017, 14:03   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Hopefully Phil can someday look back and laugh at it as a good experience.
Yeah, that's my hope...
Old 20-01-2017, 14:13   #142

Phil,
Have you got dockage when you get there? It may be something to consider ahead? I have no idea about the demand for it there?
Old 20-01-2017, 14:24   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Phil, sorry to hear you are still having problems...or happy you are still having adventures depending on your point of view.

I'm certain you would already have thought of this but did you check the fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank? Could it become blocked even intermittently by the black rubbery material you described?
Actually I did reseal the pickup tube. But only because I wanted everything to be perfect.

This last time the filters became clogged with the black powder. I went back with PTFE and resealed every fitting in the entire fuel system. Just for drill, the pickup tube got special attention.

This occasion was caused by bad fuel. We should have been more vigilant. The original fuel problems seem to have been fixed before we left Fernandina. The tiny bubbles that was in the system may very well have been left over from the last time we worked on it.

Everything we have done recently was from an overabundance of caution. After all, we motored 5 days for 24 hours a day without a problem and the problem that occurred was not the fuel system, but instead it was the fuel. I'm confident that my only fuel problems now are waiting for me at the fuel docks.
Old 20-01-2017, 14:33   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Phil,
Have you got dockage when you get there? It may be something to consider ahead? I have no idea about the demand for it there?
No problem Cadence. The only docks we'll hit on the way back will be fuel docks. We will sail or motor 24 hours a day. Once in my home Port I have a lot of options. The plan is to haul it out and place it on private property in San Leon.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:46   #145

Any updates..
Joekrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:18   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
No problem Cadence. The only docks we'll hit on the way back will be fuel docks. We will sail or motor 24 hours a day. Once in my home Port I have a lot of options. The plan is to haul it out and place it on private property in San Leon.
Phil, it is she or her!