Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 16:51   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 24'
The call of the sea

I have been working for months to get Precious ready to launch and in the best possible situation I have months more to go. I understand why so many boats go from one owner to the next without getting any closer to sailing. Everything takes longer than I thought it would. I am just now preparing to buy supplies so we will see how well I estimated there. The problem is we are a boat owner for six months and the only sheets I have trimmed were rented.

It's time to do that again. My crew and I (my wife, son and daughter in law) will charter a Capri 22 this Saturday and enjoy a day at sea. This time we will actually leave the bay and sail the ocean. *assumes his best Capt. Morgan pose*. Maybe work our way up the coast towards La Jolla and back. /chuckle

We are all very excited to get out there. We have been reading books and watching videos but i think you can only really learn to sail on the water. It's a bit hard to justify pulling boat funds aside to rent a lesser vessel. But I need to sail. It's not a desire but an obsession. This is the reason I had planned to not buy a project. My biggest fear is she never sees the water. I'm committed to getting her afloat. But the more i get done, the more i learn, the more i come to understand how little i know and how much more I have to do than I thought. I just can't wait that long.

I am anxious to get in the water often enough to determine if this is our future or just a mid life crisis.
Old 18-02-2013, 16:58   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: The call of the sea

Go play! Then come back and just keep on working towards your dream. Islander Bahama is a great boat
Cheers,
Erika
Old 18-02-2013, 17:59   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: The call of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Grandpa View Post
I have been working for months to get Precious ready to launch and in the best possible situation I have months more to go.
Take another look at the sentence quoted above. As long as "months" doesn't turn into "years," you are ahead of the game.

On the other hand, it's only February.
Old 18-02-2013, 19:40   #4

Thanks for the encouragement ocean girl. I like hearing things like "she's a great boat" lol

Bash. From your mouth to gods ears! I'm really hoping to be sailing by June. I need most of this year to get some skills. We want to go on a cruise for our 30th anniversary next Feb. a short cruise, a couple weeks or so. /grin
Old 21-02-2013, 14:32   #5

I sure do commiserate with you on that one. If this is a mid life crisis I'm going to be pissed. Mostly because it is turning out to be just like the first half of my life, dang hard and alot of work. I mule headedly trudge on though because at some point it just has to get easier. For now I continue to grind.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:55   #6

That's all we can do DSDMan. I try and focus on the pride and sense of accomplishment I will feel ones we are out on her. I think I have a bit of boating bi-polar disorder going on. One moment "I'm never going get her ready. The next "I'm making so much progress"

But for now I'm packed and ready to shove off in the morning. I wish I were going out on my Precious but I'm thrilled to be going out.