Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 13:07   #1

Boat: Bristol 31.1
Steve Tuccio

I started looking at this forum a few years ago, when I was entertaining the idea of getting a sailboat. In early 2016, I did purchase a boat and eventually posted here for some advice about getting it from Annapolis to my home in NY. At that point, I was loosely planning to get a couple of guys from my sailing club to make the trip with me. My sailing/boating experience was limited to one season of J24 sailing with the club and sporadic sailing with a friend back in the 80s, so I knew it wasn't going to be a solo. But, trying to get those guys committed to the trip was proving difficult.

After posting, one of the commenters sent me a message saying that he was a delivery skipper out of New Jersey who specialized in helping new owners. Figuring it was worth looking into, I gave him a call. That turned out to be the best decision of my first season with the boat. We discussed the situation and agreed on the particulars. I went to Annapolis at the beginning of April 2017 to move aboard and start to figure everything out. I had also enrolled at Cruiser's University at the boat show, taking the (excellent) diesel engine course. The plan was for Steve Tuccio, the delivery skipper, to come to Annapolis on May 1 to begin the trip north.

Without going into the gory details, at that point, I was recovering from a debilitating bout with deep depression that eventually was resolved with therapy and meds. I was apprehensive about the trip and a little nervous about doing so with a stranger. Also had some doubts about what I'd gotten myself into! I'm a person with many quirks and odd habits, and thus was a little concerned about compatibility within the confines of a 31ft boat.

Within a couple of minutes after meeting Steve on the dock, I was greatly relieved to find that we appeared to be quite 'simpatico.' Over the next couple of days, we went over every inch of the boat, did a bunch of routine maintenance, and went around Annapolis acquiring things that Steve thought should be on the boat. (I've subsequently used every single one of those things.) There were also many discussions about proper seamanship and best practices. It was a lot to absorb, but Steve was thorough and patient.

We left Annapolis a few days later and made our way to Chesapeake City, where we slept a bit and refueled. From there to Cape May via the C&D and Delaware Bay. On my sixtieth birthday, I found myself at the helm driving MY BOAT down the bay. Suffice to say, it was a life highlight.
After a weather delay in Cape May, and another in Atlantic City, Steve and I finally sailed into NY Harbor at 0400, stopping at Liberty Landing for fuel and sleep. A few hours later, we set out for the East End of Long Island, arriving 1100 hrs. the next day.

During the time we spent together, it was obvious that Steve and I had formed quite a strong bond. In weeks that followed, I talked with Steve several times and we texted back and forth. He was always more than happy to answer questions and offer advice. We remained in touch over the next three years and it was always great to speak with him.

Last fall, I got a call from Steve asking me how the season had gone and what I was doing. In that conversation, he told me how much he had enjoyed our time together and that it was one of the most enjoyable deliveries he had ever done. I was very, very happy (and humbled) to hear that, and thanked him for teaching me so much.
Last week, I texted Steve a cartoon that I knew he would get a kick out of. When he didn't reply right away, I figured he was busy. But, I got a funny feeling and Googled him. Sure enough, this was the first thing to come up ...

https://www.wrightfamily.com/obituary/steven-tuccio/

I don't know how many members, if any, knew Steve, but I just felt like he deserved a little recognition here.

RIP Cap'n Steve ....
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 00:32   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Steve Tuccio

^^^^^

Nice one, eastend... a touching tribute to an individual and to a way of life.

Jim
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Thanks for sharing.
RIP Steve.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:55   #4

Thanks for sharing that story.