Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2021, 12:47   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
Running Gear Brass / Bronze Help

Hello, I have a some running gear i was trying to clean up and there is brass or bronze parts (I'm not sure which... not very good with that stuff). I tried to clean the areas a little with some acid and clr which someone said to do online and I think it damaged the brass/bronze areas on the surface and created that beautiful green stuff (when it oxidizes I suppose).

What to do now ? ...My next guess would be to lightly sand it down to 1000 grit trying to get the green off and get the shine again. Next, I'd try to quickly protect it with a sealant of some sort before further oxidation. I've attached a picture (hope I did it correctly) if anyone can help. I've seen lots of info online for restoring and polishing above the water line, but not below. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Also, What parts do I or don't I tape off before I apply the Primer !?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass : Bronze Prop.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	248033  
SV Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 14:34   #2

Boat: C&c 30 mk1
Re: Running Gear Brass / Bronze Help

Should never have brass sitting in the water, brass contains zinc and will act like an anode will.
Any running gear like shafts or props will be bronze
Sirzones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 15:18   #3

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Running gear is almost certainly bronze. Muratic acid is recommended to clean off barnacle remnants. No degradation to the bronze metal. NOW, two schools of thought about what to do next: 1) The first is do nothing. 2) Coat the bronze with a number of multi step anti fouling products. I subscribe to #1. Tried #2, didn’t work. Having said that have a diver clean monthly in Central Florida while boat in water.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 15:24   #4

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

As said in the earlier response, it is bronze, not brass.

You do not need to protect it against corrosion. That is why it is made of bronze, it is a corrosion resistant metal, used for underwater fittings for that reason. You aren't trying to polish this up, it is underwater and does not show. Polishing is to make the above water fittings look shiny. It has nothing to do with longevity or performance.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 16:48   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Newbie View Post
Hello, I have a some running gear i was trying to clean up and there is brass or bronze parts (I'm not sure which... not very good with that stuff). I tried to clean the areas a little with some acid and clr which someone said to do online and I think it damaged the brass/bronze areas on the surface and created that beautiful green stuff (when it oxidizes I suppose).

What to do now ? ...My next guess would be to lightly sand it down to 1000 grit trying to get the green off and get the shine again. Next, I'd try to quickly protect it with a sealant of some sort before further oxidation. I've attached a picture (hope I did it correctly) if anyone can help. I've seen lots of info online for restoring and polishing above the water line, but not below. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Also, What parts do I or don't I tape off before I apply the Primer !?!

Personally I would wire brush it, etch prime the bronze, undercoat with the appropriate product and apply two or three coats of hard antifoul.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronze, gear