Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2023, 17:29   #1

Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

I've read a lot about how Rocna anchors are superior in all metrics, but have only used CQR in the past. The new boat, Downeaster 38, came with an undersized Rocna 10 which I would never truly trust because it is two sizes below the recommended for this size boat.

My plan was to sell it and get the right size, but then I was gifted a CQR 45 from a generous neighbor. It got me thinking about the tests I have seen when the Rocna anchors provide several times more holding power. Now I'm debating the merits of the two. My gut tells me go with the CQR 45, because I have no experience with Rocna and it's hard to believe that half the size anchor will compete. But some of the tests I've seen indicate that may be true. What are your guys experiences? Can a smaller Rocna compete with a larger CQR?
sharkdiver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 17:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

We sleep well with our 55lb. Rocna on our "Benford Fantail 38". We had a CQR many years ago, there is no comparison in our opinion.
Old 22-04-2023, 18:03   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Holding power when set is one thing and a heavier anchor may prevail, it is more about drag and re-setting. Sometimes CQRs do not set properly at all, or when there is a current or wind change they do not re-set nearly as readily as the more modern anchors - that is just my experience using both types.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 18:04   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkdiver84 View Post
I've read a lot about how Rocna anchors are superior in all metrics, but have only used CQR in the past. The new boat, Downeaster 38, came with an undersized Rocna 10 which I would never truly trust because it is two sizes below the recommended for this size boat.

My plan was to sell it and get the right size, but then I was gifted a CQR 45 from a generous neighbor. It got me thinking about the tests I have seen when the Rocna anchors provide several times more holding power. Now I'm debating the merits of the two. My gut tells me go with the CQR 45, because I have no experience with Rocna and it's hard to believe that half the size anchor will compete. But some of the tests I've seen indicate that may be true. What are your guys experiences? Can a smaller Rocna compete with a larger CQR?
You have to be carefull there, think with your head, not the wallet. The Rocnas are not cheap, but neither is your boat, anchors are insurance, so don't make the mistake of skewing the facts.
CQRs are good but not good enough, otherwise why would anyone give them away? Just my 50cens.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 18:58   #5

I have seen a 70lb Rocna dragged about like a toy. Its not about the anchor, its about the ground tackle as a whole, the boat and how its all deployed.
I run a 45 lb CQR and am perfectly happy……but thats just part of the equation.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 19:10   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Rocna is a better anchor. It sets better, it digs in better, it resets better. And it does so over a wider range of substrates compared to the CQR. That doesn't mean the CQR is a bad anchor. It's just that the Rocna is better.

But size matters with all anchors. Generally speaking, the bigger, the better. Is a Rocna more than twice as good as a CQR? -- maybe, but that's a tough call.

The right answer is for you to buy a new, well-sized anchor for your new (to you) boat. Marry that with good all-chain rode, and long, stretchy snubbers. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy.
Old 22-04-2023, 19:33   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

If I had to pick between the two I'd choose the small Rocna over the large CQR. But ideally I'd sell both and buy a larger Rocna (or Mantus, or Manson, or Spade, or Viking etc.)
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 19:35   #8

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

My genuine CQR "45" weighs 50 pounds on my scale.

My rollbar Rocna "10" weighs 22 pounds on my scale.

A brief Google search reveals the Downeast 38 at 20,000 lbs.

The statement "Rocna anchors are superior in all metrics" is false. They are better (than equal size CQR) in many, perhaps most, but not "all" metrics.

I have tested both of these anchors in several seabed types and found the 50 lb. CQR to have higher holding power than the 22 lb. Rocna in all cases.

In a certain Sandy Mud seabed, the CQR performed nearly perfectly in 180 degree reset tests, While the Rocna was marginal.

There is no question that CQR anchors have great difficulty setting in "hard to penetrate" seabeds like hard Sand or thick weed.

If seabeds in your cruising area have softer muds and sands, and CQR anchors are known to penetrate there (like the PNW), than I would select the CQR.

If seabeds in your cruising area have hard Sand, and CQR anchors are known to "just slide along on their sides" without penetrating, then I would not leave the dock until I procured a properly sized anchor of a design that is known to work in your area.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 21:58   #9

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

For those that really know what they are doing, you can probably get away with a CQR, it is the rest of the people in the harbor that are the problem. The modern anchors do not eliminate user error they mitigate it more so than a CQR or worse still a Danforth. If I was surrounded in a harbor full of newbies I would want them to be using modern anchors, not CQRs.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 23:24   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

SharkDiver84 I have a friend who uses one of those cheap copy CQR anchors on his 50-foot steel ketch. He purchased the correct size Rocna for his yacht and is yet to swap them over after three years because the CQR is doing its job. I have anchored plenty of times on his yacht and we are yet to drag.
Sure if you have the money change it over, but why not keep an eye out on Craigslist for the correct size Rocna at a good price?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 00:56   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Rocna is a better anchor. It sets better, it digs in better, it resets better. And it does so over a wider range of substrates compared to the CQR. That doesn't mean the CQR is a bad anchor. It's just that the Rocna is better.

But size matters with all anchors. Generally speaking, the bigger, the better. Is a Rocna more than twice as good as a CQR? -- maybe, but that's a tough call.

The right answer is for you to buy a new, well-sized anchor for your new (to you) boat. Marry that with good all-chain rode, and long, stretchy snubbers. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy.

That's right!

You've set up a choice between two bad options.

The right answer is neither. Buy a good anchor in the correct size. This is not (!) a place to save money or make that kind of compromise.

Rocna is light years better than CQR, and is quite good but there are still better options. I would suggest doing some research.

The only thing I can add to Mike's post is that, on top of all that, invest some time in developing good anchoring technique. The best gear in the world will not keep your boat safe if you don't use it correctly.

Good luck!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 01:02   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
For those that really know what they are doing, you can probably get away with a CQR, it is the rest of the people in the harbor that are the problem. The modern anchors do not eliminate user error they mitigate it more so than a CQR or worse still a Danforth. If I was surrounded in a harbor full of newbies I would want them to be using modern anchors, not CQRs.

CQR is fine IF you can get it set, AND you know how to be sure that it really IS set. But those are big "IF's". And there are many bottom types where it simply can't be set, where modern anchors don't have any trouble.

Life is just too short to mess around with those infernal things. I spent my first decade of cruising with one of those and as a result I can't really sleep soundly at anchor to this day, 25 years after acquiring my first Spade.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 02:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's right!

You've set up a choice between two bad options.

The right answer is neither. Buy a good anchor in the correct size. This is not (!) a place to save money or make that kind of compromise.

Rocna is light years better than CQR, and is quite good but there are still better options. I would suggest doing some research.

The only thing I can add to Mike's post is that, on top of all that, invest some time in developing good anchoring technique. The best gear in the world will not keep your boat safe if you don't use it correctly.

Good luck!

I totally agree

Any other word is just "bla, bla"
Eagle ITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 03:26   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

I used an old and worn 20 lb CQR for my boat here in the Chesapeake Bay area for 10 years and it worked fine.

It was slightly undersized.

We have strong currents here especially at Kiptopeke which is one of the places I like to anchor.

The tide changes every 6 hours and the CQR never failed to reset

I replaced it last year with a 25 lb Mantus M1 as I was starting to worry about the wear around the hinge pin. I still have the CQR for backup though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	274458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	274459  

Name:	IMG_1266 (3).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	274460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00693.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	274461  

Name:	DSC00694.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	274462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	274463  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 04:36   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkdiver84 View Post
I've read a lot about how Rocna anchors are superior in all metrics, but have only used CQR in the past.
Forget the words CQR and Rocna for a while.

Go to Steve Goodwin's (S/V Panope) anchor reviews on YouTube, look at the summary chart toward the end of his video #131.

Pick from there. (Unless one of his newer videos has even better info.)

-Chris

Tags
cqr, rocna