Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 21:12   #376
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Deleting Posts....
Kinda like Louis Learner over at the IRS losing all those incriminating emails...
Old 11-07-2014, 21:31   #377
cruiser

Okay - found it over on the Xerq forum:

Quote:
Originally posted by Member
Yeah, I hear you. Working hard and doing @!*$ jobs (sometimes literally) is almost enjoyable when its towards something you're really motivated by.

I was an EMT and try to keep current on CPR/first aid stuff through the Red Cross. I also am a PADI divemaster and rescue diver which doesn't mean much, but it's exposure and practical experience with water related stuff. I was also in the Navy, and worked as a lifeguard one summer in San Diego. We have a chain of events we can kick off in the event of serious emergencies to get in contact with various search and rescue networks. I have a satellite phone with the USCG's Pacific SAR coordination team programmed on speed dial, and we have an EPIRB that when activated manually (or gets wet) will start broadcasting its GPS position and a unique signature for our vessel to satellites around the world for 48 hours.

The Pacific crossing, as big as it is, is generally benign and is downwind with the trades so there isn't a lot of bad weather. We'll wait (like most boats do) for the ITCZ (doldrums at the equator) to be small, the tradewinds to be strong, and the cyclone probability to be extremely small. Put all that together with a well found boat, good seamanship, and decent weather updates, and you chop down a lot of the variables.

The biggest thing that I'm concerned about is having a one year old and three year old onboard that really won't be able to walk around much, for a month, because the boat moves so much. Some days it's not bad but somedays it's extremely violent.

I try to remember that it's crossing the Pacific, so it's not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be tough and we can be proud of that accomplishment when we're done.
If an EMT can't get a dose of antibiotic down his own child, I certainly can't. As for the other "well found boat" stuff, well....
Old 11-07-2014, 21:39   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
So if you are using your gps and the company shuts off there system with our you knowing and you are in the middle of a reef or inlet and sink your boat you would do nothing. No matter the disclaimer if you buy safety equipment you would expect it to work. If the company dose something to the equipment they are liable Same as if you bought a live raft and had to deploy it and it sank causing you to loss a loved one and found the company forgot to sew the pontoon would you not all do the same thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
A SAT phone is a communication device, not a piece of safety equipment. It is not guaranteed to work at all times. That is one of the issues with SAT phones. They are vulnerable to movement and signal. Without knowing both sides of the story (SAT company versus the Kaufmans) it's difficult to say what really happened, but it is not the SAT company's responsibility to keep the Kaufman's safe.
Old 11-07-2014, 21:48   #379

Boat: wharram tiki 26

So,after a billion pages,what is the consensus then?
Old 11-07-2014, 21:52   #380
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
So,after a billion pages,what is the consensus then?
Oh that's easy....
2+2=5
Old 11-07-2014, 22:17   #381
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
as you might have noticed,by my absence on the forum over the last few months this has been my general policy regarding the rebel heart fiasco,ie just ignore..........but erics latest antics,and charlottes constant,holier than thou daily posts on facebook have left me no other choice ,lest we be all tarred with the same brush,and guilty by association of the fraud.
Atoll..... You have always been an upstanding guy... So no criticism.... Just an observation.
Old 11-07-2014, 22:38   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I didn't see any of that.
Savior, thanks for catching that, I could swear I saw it in several threads... Yet I did blow it by going with my memory. On the forums I am familiar with Eric uses the name Faceman.

On one thread that still exists he said he bought for 60K (he thinks), put in maybe 30K and another 10K-20K budgeted for next year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	60KFaceman.png
Views:	233
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	84876

On another thread he said his boat is worth ~60K.

Name:	60K.png
Views:	249
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	84878

I thought he had other numbers initially and google has results... but they are also being flushed.

Google Search:
I include a screen snap as stuff is changing:

Name:	search.png
Views:	276
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	84877

I believe it was the first thread... where he responded to a question. The whole thread appears to be gone, as well as ANY google cache entry.

His discussion of his work came from this thread: I actually screen snapped that, but...Found the reference....

Name:	face-job.png
Views:	255
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	84879
Old 11-07-2014, 22:43   #383
cruiser

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...me-109129.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It's like every week there's someone getting rescued off a boat these days who has no idea wtf they are doing.

(PS - I want to make it clear - as my boys and I head out into the ocean this summer, we have no idea wtf we are doing.)
Old 11-07-2014, 22:46   #384
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Savior, thanks for catching that, I could swear I saw it in several threads... Yet I did blow it by going with my memory. On the forums I am familiar with Eric uses the name Faceman.

On one thread that still exists he said he bought for 60K (he thinks), put in maybe 30K and another 10K-20K budgeted for next year.
Attachment 84876

On another thread he said his boat is worth ~60K.
Attachment 84878

I thought he had other numbers initially and google has results... but they are also being flushed.

Google Search:
I include a screen snap as stuff is changing:
Attachment 84877

I believe it was the first thread... where he responded to a question. The whole thread appears to be gone, as well as ANY google cache entry.

His discussion of his work came from this thread: I actually screen snapped that, but...Found the reference....

Attachment 84879
Yeah, I saw all that too (and more). I just feel really sorry for his wife and kids who have to deal with it. This isn't pretty.

From what I've been able to dig up - I think we might actually be at rock bottom (with RH) now.

I'm done.
Old 11-07-2014, 23:00   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, I saw all that too (and more). I just feel really sorry for his wife and kids who have to deal with it. This isn't pretty.

From what I've been able to dig up - I think we might actually be at rock bottom (with RH) now.

One can only hope.... that this is the bottom, and not a momentary hesitation before the acceleration to the bottom. Somehow I have been disappointed in how this is progressing further and further and this THREAT of a lawsuit is just the straw that broke the camels back. (As they have not filed anything yet.. just banging the drums, right?)
Old 11-07-2014, 23:00   #386

I'm thinking snowballs chance here...
Old 11-07-2014, 23:13   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I'm thinking snowballs chance here...
snowballs chance of this being bottom?

or winning a lawsuit?

or ?
Old 11-07-2014, 23:16   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
snowballs chance of this being bottom?

or winning a lawsuit?

or ?
Elvis answers the sat phone...
Old 11-07-2014, 23:26   #389
cruiser

Re: Parents Rescued by Navy Warship Plan to File Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I've read several times that RH was a "first responder". Anyone know what that means?
In this case... it means that he's fast enough to chase down a dirtbag, disbarred lawyer that was in hot pursuit of an ambulance leaving the site of a trainwreck. Or maybe that's a "quick responder?"
Old 11-07-2014, 23:54   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Naw, just that he has no understanding of the fact that anything that goes out on the web is out there forever and if it's important, it can be retrieved.

Unless he can come up with a darn good excuse for the judge, manipulating his web presense to delete items that are damaging to his case is probalby worse than just leaving them up and claiming they are being taken out of context.

It's one thing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...It's another to try and put the partially chewed cookie back in the jar.

True, this kind of action can really backfire, starting with the deposition. Defense attorneys have a field day with this kind of idiocy.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, navy, rescue