Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 11:07   #76
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75
Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Well presented point!

I'm afraid our American culture has become addicted to paranoia... and outrage. The media, on both sides of the political spectrum, have made billions from feeding us a continual diet of outrage. Outrage engages people - it's profitable. But a steady diet will warp your outlook.

Relax. Chill. The world isn't as scary and dark as the outrage peddlers and authoritarian politicians would like you to believe. Showing a little genuine interest, respect and dignity to your international hosts will get you peacefully through nearly every encounter. It's always worked for me. And I worked as a journalist for years, traveling into the midst of the most unsettled places on Earth.

I was once part of what today would be called the "mainstream media." I saw the trend towards purveying outrage, and I changed careers. The talk then was: "Sex sells - but outrage comes in at a close second." Don't get caught up in that if you value your sanity.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:36   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
In what sense? From the quote it would seem much more dangerous? On the other hand from looking at noonsite I had the impression that crime is on the rise. So there was a friendly peaceful time some years back?
Currently in Toronto but spent the last three winters cruising the Bahamas. Only crime I was aware of was one attempted dinghy theft. Much safer than several areas of Toronto after dark.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:39   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Well presented point!

I'm afraid our American culture has become addicted to paranoia... and outrage. The media, on both sides of the political spectrum, have made billions from feeding us a continual diet of outrage. Outrage engages people - it's profitable. But a steady diet will warp your outlook.

Relax. Chill. The world isn't as scary and dark as the outrage peddlers and authoritarian politicians would like you to believe. Showing a little genuine interest, respect and dignity to your international hosts will get you peacefully through nearly every encounter. It's always worked for me. And I worked as a journalist for years, traveling into the midst of the most unsettled places on Earth.

I was once part of what today would be called the "mainstream media." I saw the trend towards purveying outrage, and I changed careers. The talk then was: "Sex sells - but outrage comes in at a close second." Don't get caught up in that if you value your sanity.
Too true and I'm glad you call it media and not journalism. I think journalism has been dead for a long time.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:44   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
In what sense? From the quote it would seem much more dangerous? On the other hand from looking at noonsite I had the impression that crime is on the rise. So there was a friendly peaceful time some years back?
I read the noonsite security section. Much of it is rather general: "petty theft from yachts is on the rise in the Caribbean in general".*The only Bahamas locales specifically referenced are Nassau, Freeport, and Georgetown. Duh, thats where the most people are. Even then it mostly references petty theft. CSSN shows no logged events in the Bahamas...Im not sure why that is...out of their coverage area?

I spent a lot of time in the Bahamas in 80s. Drug smuggling was most of the GDP of the country...it was pretty wild west. Returned in 2004 and cruised the Bahamas for several months...very different...you could go a lot places that were no man's lands in the 80s...like Normans Caye.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman%27s_Cay

So, yeah, its very different now.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:49   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
The Bahamas in the 80s was a VERY different place than today.
Quote:
In what sense? From the quote it would seem much more dangerous? On the other hand from looking at noonsite I had the impression that crime is on the rise...
Perhaps, he's referring to Carlos Lehder Rivas' reign of terror(1978 - 1982)?
See post #23.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:11   #81

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
As if anyone who hasn't been invaded by the U.S. has any idea what the Marine Corps flag looks like ...LOL

Exactly.
But saying that, the US has invaded a lot of places

Old 02-01-2019, 12:11   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyknot View Post
I took a gun safety course and am legally allowed to own a handgun in the state of Maryland. For me, the potential risks outweigh the benefits though. To put my perspective into perspective, I live and work in the heart of Baltimore City which had a murder rate of 56 per 100,000 in 2017. Nassau, one of the leaders in murder for the Bahamas (brief research), had a rate of 44.4 per 100,000 people in 2015. Most murders in both citys were by gun.

Most of my time travelling is by foot or bike. I guess my point is that I have other ways of staying safe which don't require lethal weapons. Even if I owned a gun, what are the chances it would be anywhere near me when I actually "needed" it? I can't imagine wanting to carry one everywhere I went, especially not on a romantic walk down a beautiful beach with my wife.

I believe in the second ammendment but IMHO, the second ammendment was to ensure that the people of the USA could prevent a monarchy from ever happening again (LOL, got tricked rather than forced at gunpoint. No clever law for that). It is for the people to be able to maintain control of their country, NOT for the people to shoot eachother nor for self defense against a fellow citizen. I don't know what happened here but it seems that our sense toward guns has all but vanished. Sorry world. Hopefully we'll get our s*** back together again soon.

What a fun topic!
Lucky, let your wife carry the gun in her bikini bottom, makes for a fine tan line. Reference picture below. Or you could pack one in your Speedo. Albeit, it would be hard to conceal, hence more likely classified as open carry.

Ya just never known when you might be attacked by a gun toten surfer.

Seems like there is a niche market for making inflatable PFDs / safety tether harnesses with integral gun holsters and ammo pouches for paranoid yachties.

Though I'm not sure what one would do with the gun when you go swimming, because you certainly wouldn't just leave it lying on the beach.
Perhaps bury it in the sand under your beach towel but that would likely to result in fouling the chamber and barrel.

Does anyone know if sun tan lotion makes for good gun oil?

I suppose if you desire to "look nautical" and be "bad ass" one could just carry a spear gun, they come in short and long gun versions and it would serve dual use, close quarter protection and fishing.
And you could go whole hog military wantabe styling with camouflage pattern wetsuits or swimming trunks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68f0b990b9c5f5356133f4071bfd4b70--tan-lines-bathing-suits.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	183069   Click image for larger version

Name:	article-0-140A8B58000005DC-592_634x827.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	183070  

Name:	flashbang_holster-tfb.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	183071   Click image for larger version

Name:	p19kdmp2i01uujhsq9bk1osa1kg62.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	183073  

Name:	1415004128-sten-holster.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	183075   Click image for larger version

Name:	71q-XiVxKkL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	183076  

Attached Images

Old 02-01-2019, 12:34   #83

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

As usual a gun forum going onto chaos as both sides start shouting at each other and the usually rhetoric about US gun law and how not dangerous places are even though they have never seen it.(there are there nationalities out there)
It you have a licence to carry a gun and want too because it gives you a sense of security while being out in open seas with your family or loved one so what
it is your choice, I would suspect that because your out in your boat your not a drug fulled idiot or a gun toting maniac wanting to pull your gun out at every threat.
there is a sense of paranoia and pure project fear on this forum , comparing murder rates and who is killing who , get some perspective , the world is a safe place if you are a sensible , person and use common sense , but there is always the outliner , that happens , not a lot but it does , and if people get some security from the outliner happening, by carrying a gun , the rest of you should really grow up and let then have their peace.
I have never heard of a yacht person blowing away another yacht person.
I come from the UK and set out next year as a merchant ship classed as ocean going I have the right if I wish to to carry a shotgun no more than 3 shells per load. It is still a consideration that I might or might not take up , I will be going to wilderness and places were pirates are know to operate,
Why should I not take protection, I am of stable mind , and calm in very stressful situations.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:55   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
As usual a gun forum going onto chaos as both sides start shouting at each other and the usually rhetoric about US gun law and how not dangerous places are even though they have never seen it.(there are there nationalities out there)
It you have a licence to carry a gun and want too because it gives you a sense of security while being out in open seas with your family or loved one so what
it is your choice, I would suspect that because your out in your boat your not a drug fulled idiot or a gun toting maniac wanting to pull your gun out at every threat.
there is a sense of paranoia and pure project fear on this forum , comparing murder rates and who is killing who , get some perspective , the world is a safe place if you are a sensible , person and use common sense , but there is always the outliner , that happens , not a lot but it does , and if people get some security from the outliner happening, by carrying a gun , the rest of you should really grow up and let then have their peace.
I come from the UK and set out next year as a merchant ship classed as ocean going I have the right if I wish to to carry a shotgun no more than 3 shells per load. It is still a consideration that I might or might not take up , I will be going to wilderness and places were pirates are know to operate,
Why should I not take protection, I am of stable mind , and calm in very stressful situations.
You sir, at least on this forum, appear to be yourself, the outlier. I appreciate your considered response. I realize you are not recommending any particular stance on the issue, so I don't take your comment as a personal endorsement...it's just nice and I must say a bit refreshing, to hear from someone who can respond in a calm, civil tone. This started out for me as a search for information, but has devolved into a quite enjoyable display of chest thumping and name calling.
Please, you others...continue.Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.gif
Views:	112
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	183078
Old 02-01-2019, 13:05   #85
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Exactly.
But saying that, the US has invaded a lot of places

You forgot Canada, Hawaii and Texas
Old 02-01-2019, 13:27   #86

Quote:
You don't sound very calm and going on the amount of spelling mistakes it could indicate that you smashed that response out in an angry and hasty fashion.
Old 02-01-2019, 13:28   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You forgot Canada, Hawaii and Texas
And all the indigenous Americans.
Old 02-01-2019, 13:36   #88

Quote:
My issue is your gun may represent protection for you but it represents a threat to me and my family as well as your family. Hopefully unlike many of you I've been shot more than once and I've shot in return more than I want to remember. This isn't Hollywood it's reality and when the shooting starts there's no control who ends up being a victim and more firepower just increases the damage done. The slippery slope of "you're armed I need to be armed also" has never saved anyone, conversely it's killed millions. Just my opinion based on observation and experience please don't feel offended.
Old 02-01-2019, 13:37   #89

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
What do these six countries have in common ...
Brazil, Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, Guatemala and the USA

This group of six countries make up more than 50% of all gun deaths.

Why ? .... serious question .... Why ?
Do they have more than 50% of the bad people in the world ? or could it be the sheer number of guns in these countries and a disatisfied, reactionary population ?
Surprised they omit Honduras from that list...big problems there too.

Having lived in Guatemala for many years, I can speak to guns there. Guns are ubiquitous...a common every day sight on the street...armed security is very common, as is open (liscenced) carry. Gun deaths in Guatemala are an occupational hazard...almost totally related to the drug trade or other illegal activity. If you get shot in Guate, there was a concrete reason for it...and you were almost certainly involved in something you shouldnt have been.

But, I have never heard of a single mass shooting like in the USA. Not one.

The differenece? I agree with the pro-gun perspective that guns are not the root cause problem...people are...the problem in the USA is a mental health issue, not a gun problem. Nowhere else in the world, regardless of the gun laws in any given country, has the mass shooting issues of the USA.
Old 02-01-2019, 13:43   #90

Quote:
Interesting. That is the perspective I was going with by comparing murder rates. Though grousoume, it is a marker of violence for an area. The world is a safe place if you act right was my point. I've been and lived in many places (without a gun) and found that to be true. Six years in the Navy. Sure we had shore patrol to protect us but the name of the game was always getting as far away from that whole scene as possible. You and the OP and everyone that wants to is totally allowed to carry as many guns as you want. I'm just saying that maybe you don't really need them. It sounds like it would certainly make checking into and out of countries a whole lot easier. I certainly hope people trying to cruise plan on that process more than they plan on being in a gun fight. Maybe I'm wrong but perhaps gun culture isn't the culture we should be spreading around the world no matter where you're from or heading to. Put some toys or other supplies in those gun lockers and bring something to another country that could improve someone's day rather than something that can only ruin it.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, Guns