Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 13:44   #91

Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

[QUOTE=z28jimi;2793152]You sir, at least on this forum, appear to be yourself, the outlier. I appreciate your considered response. I realize you are not recommending any particular stance on the issue, so I don't take your comment as a personal endorsement...it's just nice and I must say a bit refreshing, to hear from someone who can respond in a calm, civil tone. This started out for me as a search for information, but has devolved into a quite enjoyable display of chest thumping and name calling.
Please, you others...continue.Attachment 183078[/QU

So after decrying others online behavior you decide that stirring the pot for your personal entertainment is a good idea? I see.
Old 02-01-2019, 14:01   #92

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
What do these six countries have in common ...
Brazil, Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, Guatemala and the USA

This group of six countries make up more than 50% of all gun deaths.

Why ? .... serious question .... Why ?
Do they have more than 50% of the bad people in the world ? or could it be the sheer number of guns in these countries and a disatisfied, reactionary population ?
Surprised they omit Honduras from that list...big problems there too.

Having lived in Guatemala for many years, I can speak to guns there. Guns are ubiquitous...a common every day sight on the street...armed security is very common, as is open (liscenced) carry. Gun deaths in Guatemala are an occupational hazard...almost totally related to the drug trade or other illegal activity. If you get shot in Guate, there was a concrete reason for it...and you were almost certainly involved in something you shouldnt have been.

But, I have never heard of a single mass shooting like in the USA. Not one.

The differenece? I agree with the pro-gun perspective that guns are not the root cause problem...people are...the problem in the USA is a mental health issue, not a gun problem. Nowhere else in the world, regardless of the gun laws in any given country, has the mass shooting issues of the USA.
Old 02-01-2019, 14:09   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
As usual a gun forum going onto chaos as both sides start shouting at each other and the usually rhetoric about US gun law and how not dangerous places are even though they have never seen it.(there are there nationalities out there)

It you have a licence to carry a gun and want too because it gives you a sense of security while being out in open seas with your family or loved one so what

it is your choice, I would suspect that because your out in your boat your not a drug fulled idiot or a gun toting maniac wanting to pull your gun out at every threat.

there is a sense of paranoia and pure project fear on this forum , comparing murder rates and who is killing who , get some perspective , the world is a safe place if you are a sensible , person and use common sense , but there is always the outliner , that happens , not a lot but it does , and if people get some security from the outliner happening, by carrying a gun , the rest of you should really grow up and let then have their peace.

I have never heard of a yacht person blowing away another yacht person.

I come from the UK and set out next year as a merchant ship classed as ocean going I have the right if I wish to to carry a shotgun no more than 3 shells per load. It is still a consideration that I might or might not take up , I will be going to wilderness and places were pirates are know to operate,

Why should I not take protection, I am of stable mind , and calm in very stressful situations.

Going where pirates are known to operate.........and your of stable mind?
Old 02-01-2019, 14:28   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Surprised they omit Honduras from that list...big problems there too.

Having lived in Guatemala for many years, I can speak to guns there. Guns are ubiquitous...a common every day sight on the street...armed security is very common, as is open (liscenced) carry. Gun deaths in Guatemala are an occupational hazard...almost totally related to the drug trade or other illegal activity. If you get shot in Guate, there was a concrete reason for it...and you were almost certainly involved in something you shouldnt have been.

But, I have never heard of a single mass shooting like in the USA. Not one.

The differenece? I agree with the pro-gun perspective that guns are not the root cause problem...people are...the problem in the USA is a mental health issue, not a gun problem. Nowhere else in the world, regardless of the gun laws in any given country, has the mass shooting issues of the USA.
Wasn't there some sort of civil war that only ended in 1996? There were a few mass shootings then. And all those women that are murdered in Guatemala city almost every night, all drug dealers?
Old 02-01-2019, 15:30   #95

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
You forgot Canada, Hawaii and Texas
Weren't those all pre-marines though? Seriously I had to look up the USMC flag and it didn't ring any bells. Then again neither does the navy's...

Old 02-01-2019, 15:34   #96
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
You forgot Canada, Hawaii and Texas
And if your perspective goes back as far as 1848: California, Nevada, Utah, most of Arizona, about half of New Mexico, about a quarter of Colorado, and a small section of Wyoming.

There's a reason the Marines' Hymn starts with: "From the halls of Montezuma..."

Granted, the US did pay Mexico $15 million for it -- while holding a gun to their heads. It's a bit like a carjacker throwing you a dollar while he drives away with your car.
Old 02-01-2019, 15:36   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
And if your perspective goes back as far as 1848: California, Nevada, Utah, most of Arizona, about half of New Mexico, about a quarter of Colorado, and a small section of Wyoming.

There's a reason the Marines' Hymn starts with: "From the halls of Montezuma..."
jeez ! is there anybody you guys haven't picked a fight with ?
Old 02-01-2019, 15:43   #98

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Going where pirates are known to operate.........and your of stable mind?

Is that you John Wayne, is this me?

Old 02-01-2019, 15:49   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
Wasn't there some sort of civil war that only ended in 1996? There were a few mass shootings then. And all those women that are murdered in Guatemala city almost every night, all drug dealers?
Maybe you misunderstood my point. There is plenty of killing in Guate, its just not random. No school shootings, no shopping mall masacres, etc.

The mass killings during the war servered a specific purpose. It was a terrorism campaign executed by the Kabil (Guatemalan Special Forces). And...to invoke even more terror...they mostly didnt use guns...they slaughtered entire villages manually...sometimes took them all day...horrifically brutal stuff. Their leaders were well trained by the School of The Americas.

Drug dealer deaths are an occuppational hazard...not a random killing.

"All those women...murdered in Guatemala City almost every night". Not familiar with that. Got a reference?
Old 02-01-2019, 15:52   #100

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Old piston engine aircraft flying over the Andes and struggling to maintain height, everything thrown out and still going down, pilot demands sacrifice, An Englishman gets up says "God save the Queen" and leaps out. Still going down. A french man gets up, says "Viva la France" and leaps out the door. Still going down. A Texan gets up, says "Remember the Alamo', and throws out a Mexican.
Old 02-01-2019, 15:56   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Old piston engine aircraft flying over the Andes and struggling to maintain height, everything thrown out and still going down, pilot demands sacrifice, An Englishman gets up says "God save the Queen" and leaps out. Still going down. A french man gets up, says "Viva la France" and leaps out the door. Still going down. A Texan gets up, says "Remember the Alamo', and throws out a Mexican.
Having lived in Texas for many years, I got a chuckle out of that (even though I felt like I really shouldnt). [emoji849]
Old 02-01-2019, 15:57   #102

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Big money in shooting people and blowing stuff up.
Installing political puppets and stealing resources
And then building mcdonalds, KFC, Carl's Jr everywhere, getting everyone hooked on sugar and cigarettes then curing the obesity and cancer epidemic with leftover 1980s exercise machines and drugs.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/why-am...ds-war/5328631
Old 02-01-2019, 16:10   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
It you have a licence to carry a gun and want too because it gives you a sense of security while being out in open seas with your family or loved one so what

...there is always the outliner , that happens , not a lot but it does , and if people get some security from the outliner happening, by carrying a gun , the rest of you should really grow up and let then have their peace.
For the first part - there's about zero proof that having a gun on the high seas makes one safer. Like with guns in homes, I'd bet that statistically speaking, it would make your boat less safe. Also, if you're alone in a sketchy area, and the not-nice guys find out that you have a gun... you might as well have an unlocked cash machine on board too. The gun would make it more likely you'll get hit, not less.

So to the other point: the 'outlier', in terms of the global cruising community, is the one who thinks that carrying a gun aboard is a reasonable precaution, worth the hassle, and harmless to the community, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Of course I realize that you and the other pro-'guns on boats' posters are the safest gun owners on the seas, and you all have the agility, experience and cool of a Navy SEAL, so of course the above won't apply to you; it's just a caution to lesser mortals. Please disregard.

Capt Phil's story? Tragic. Gut wrenching. But the problem wasn't lack of gun; it was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's the real lesson there. Bringing it up in a gun thread is not that germane.
Old 02-01-2019, 16:23   #104

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
It’s national PTSD as a result of YOU guys failing to comply with the Treaty of Jay. That’s why we keep guns on this side of the lake in case you guys take Oswego and refuse to return it again.

Then again....if it were up to me I’d be willing to trade Niagara Falls and Oswego for Kingston. That way we get both sides of the st Lawrence like we wanted, you get both sides of the Niagara like you wanted, and you recover the formerly illegally occupied Oswego for free.
Old 02-01-2019, 16:25   #105

This thread needs renamed: #MeTooAfraidOfGuns

Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, Guns