Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 13:55   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Purchasing from police impound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
This doesn't quite agree with FBI statistics.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nc...stics-for-2014
The National Crime Information Center’s (NCIC) Missing Person File gets about 600,000 missing person reports per year, and cancels almost all of them. The net number of missing people averages about 2000 people per year. It looks like the majority of them are children.
Hmm... once again, rhetoric has held sway over data. Fancy that...

Perhaps those other 88,000 folks were abducted by space aliens and failed to make the FBI lists???

Jim
Old 25-01-2016, 14:22   #32

Boat: Watkins 29

Many years ago, my father was in the business of buying and selling airplanes. He purchsed a Convair 440 from the government of the Turks and Caicos islands. The aircraft was impounded in a drug case. When he got the plane back to the U.S. the owners of the plane, a corporation, claimed it was stolen and used for illegal purposes and took him to court to get their plane back.

Well needless to say, it was tied up in litigation so long that after a while both parties gave up as the plane had deteriorated to a point where it was not wise to try to repair.

Be careful when buying from a government siezure... you may end up with a lot of headaches.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 14:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
This doesn't quite agree with FBI statistics.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nc...stics-for-2014
The National Crime Information Center’s (NCIC) Missing Person File gets about 600,000 missing person reports per year, and cancels almost all of them. The net number of missing people averages about 2000 people per year. It looks like the majority of them are children.
You obviously misread the statistics: Here is a writeup from the same data written for the average person:
By the numbers: Missing persons in the USA
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:01   #34

Boat: Hopelessly Dreaming...

I appreciate the input. I only posted this question because I wasn't sure if it's a viable option. I had no idea it would be such a debated topic.

The ad is from a Florida marine salvage company, and lists negotiable, non-auction prices. It also states that all vessels have clear Florida titles. My guess is that they purchase the vessels from police impound, either directly or by auction, then resell.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk
MacGregor518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:39   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You have viable facts to back up such a claim?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 15:02   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The old days of keeping the seized properties long gone due to budget needs."
It is called an "Asset Forfeiture Program" and a friend of mine was asked to take one over for a fairly large county. They don't auction ANYTHING off unless they can find no need for it. The cars go to undercover operations, so the undercover road units and plainclothes officers can show up in almost anything, without being recognized. The boats go similarly to conservation and wildlife agents who prefer to sneak around, or to further drug enforcement setups.
Auctions? Budgets? Hell it costs less to use a seized Formula or Cigarette boat for six months than it does to BUY a new one for the same operations. And if the "seized asset" gets trashed along the way? Much less paperwork to fill out.

As to "missing persons"...there has long been a great deal of debate about that. Even the Fed is uncertain, but pretty sure, that at least 100,000 people "disappear" in the US by their own choice, with no foul play. Some of them are runaways. Some are fleeing abusive spouses, others hiding from debt collectors.

My friends husband became a missing person. He was a licensed professional, who one day cleaned out the bank accounts and ran away with his mistress, to the total surprise of all. She spent ten years trying to locate him and get some of the assets back, and despite his profession requiring licensing, and presumably his social security number paying taxes, no trace of him was ever found.

He just left, no one put a hit out on him. No one serial murdered him.

No solid numbers exist on how "missing" persons really break down, but real criminal hits? Fuggedabouddit. One that leaves no trail behind, costs a freaking lot of money. You can't just pay a grand to two thugs in a waterfront bar anymore to make a body disappear.

Yes, I have long-term friends in parts of the criminal justice systems. They're not happy about it either.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchasing