Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 09:05   #16

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Negotiating for Brokerage Owned Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
At this point we are $3500 apart

You're bitching about $3500.00 difference between the asking and what you want to pay..
I've always said , " The boat will change your life, The Money wont"
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 17:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Be careful on an older IP. I understand that the chain plates are stainless and encapsulated making them hard to check and replace.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 17:27   #18
TEE

I would never pay a dime more for a boat in this market than I thought was fair. I just sold a boat two months ago that had been on the market 1 1/2 years. I was asking $420K originally, then $350K, Then $300K, and accepted an offer for $285K. Then they got a surveyor, and beat me down another $10K.

In this market there are two types of people. Boat owners (unrealistic expectations) and boat sellers (people like me who accept a financial beating as part of the transaction). I have learned that the greedy who don't accept the customary beating end up paying thousands in carrying costs, dockage, insurance, maintenance, etc., so that when they actually do sell the boat for market, they net less than they would have gotten if they just took the beating up front.

There are a lot more boats than buyers right now, and if the broker won't negotiate, let him stew a while so you can look at other boats.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 20:43   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Sounds to me that the broker is playing hardball. Slip fees are at least $300 a month. So if they sit on it a year (which is possible) they would lose the $3500 and they know it. A few things you could do...1) Ask for 4 months free slip fee. I believe they write some of that off. Or wait 2 months and try again. Another thing you can tell them is that it is time for you to get a broker to represent you since this is soooo emotionally trying. They know damn well they'll lose 5% off the top then.
Good luck, hope you get it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 17:42   #20

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Happy news everyone! We have settled on a price. Survey and sea trial is on Thursday (Oct. 18th). Cross your fingers...better yet, please say a little prayer for us.

Many, many thanks to all of you for your wise words and well wishes.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 17:52   #21

Best of luck.....

Hope to hear good news soon....
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 13:13   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Stellar!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 15:36   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"a broker-owned boat "
They are professional sellers, you are an amatuer buyer. Guess who has the upper hand in all sales negotiations?

So aside from the fact that you can be sure the other party has advantages over you, in terms of knowing which buttons to press and how to press them, I wouldn't care if the boat was owned by the UN, the King of Spain, or British Petroleum. Doesn't matter who owns it, the boat is worth what it is worth. Well, unless it really was owned by the King of Spain, in which case it might have solid gold faucets in the head. And some celebrity value if you can establish provenance. <VBG>

Since the seller is "in the business" you should take advantage of one bargaining tool. if the sea trial shows that the boat needs ANY work, odds are they can get the work done for less than it would cost you 'retail' for the labor. So if anything needs fixing, push on them to have it fixed, either before delivery or with escrow held.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote