Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 18:09   #151
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: monohull vs multihull observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Indeed you have these oft quoted but never seen insurance statistics? Please do share!

It's funny, LOL, that insurance rates for equivalent value and class cats and monos are pretty comparable. Which either means the insurance underwriters are morons, given your "statistics" or perhaps the actual statistics don't say what you seem to assume they say. Which is more likely, I wonder?

The rates went up on our cat after the Caribbean hurricanes but we are still pretty satisfied paying about 1% of agreed hull value for a cold molded custom cat. I’m sure peoples rates will vary according to location and their experience.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 18:26   #152

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukilaumike View Post
I was so impressed. Both my wife and daughter were asking me "can we get one of these?", and "It would be awful on your boat in these conditions, right?". The fact is, we wouldn't have been out on my (then) boat (an Oday 23) in those conditions. No way, no how. Twenty knot winds and four foot seas wouldn't have sunk us, but boy, it would be hairy.
That's not much of a comparison. Just about any 55-foot boat would be in its element and very comfortable with only 20kts and 4-foot waves. Comparing any 55-footer, mono or cat, with a 23-footer is like comparing it the other way with the QE2.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 18:27   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest3 View Post
I can't afford a cruising catamaran. Period. Nothing to dislike or like, just a fact that many are priced out of the market for these fine boats.
Then you can't afford most mono's either.

There are inexpensive cats out there but you aren't going to get a 2yr old 45' cat for $30k...of course, you won't get a 2yr old 45' mono for $30k either.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 19:10   #154

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I drove Mono's for 40 years, Key in and go any where I wanted,

But Never a sailing Mono, I just wasnt interested in sailing boats,
I bought my Cat for the shallow draught, and narrow hulls, 14 feet wide, I can park it in a Marina in a standard berth,
Its ability to park on a sandy beach and stay upright,
Cockpit or hammock on the transom, Even in the wildest weather and waves, They both stay level and flat, The bows are a different story, But I dont need to go out there, My Genoa is operated from the cockpit, For one knot extra, I dont bother with the main any more, Its just wasted effort,
Sailing is free travel, Cruising in my retirement,
My sailing Cat does every thing I wanted it to do,
Its purely personal choice with my Cat,
I dont like getting wet when Im sailing, Thats for the Purists, Sailors,

This is where I sit while my Cat sails itself, On Autopilot,
The only time I have to drive it is in and out of Marina's or up and down creeks and rivers,
I have a cover that goes over the whole boat when I am anchored to keep the sun off and keep the boat cool, Its about a foot off the deck so it creates a cool draught inside the boat, 30 Celcius is no problem,

I also have a canopy above where I sit in the hammock on the stern to keep the sun off,
If the weather gets cool, Zero Celcius here, I have a full clear enclosure that surrounds the whole cockpit, It keeps the wind and rain out, It keeps the warmth in, It has zippered sections, so I can open the lee side for ventilation with out wind and rain coming in,
In the cockpit, I never have waves that can get into the cockpit from the front,

I make sure the front hatches are closed now when I turn into the wind, A wet bed taught me that one, A Queen sized bed full of water is not fun,
I have all round vision, Except the Head and the 3 bedrooms, The master bed has limited vision,
Sailing or parked, My coffee stays where ever I put it,
Except the salon table when sailing upwind, The slamming makes my coffee airborne vertically, But I can cope with that,
The down galley is narrow so I can prop myself with out being thrown around,
I have all round vision in the salon, and galley,

Mono or Multi, Its your choice, You buy what suits you and what you want to do with it, where you want to go with it, And your life style,

So in reality, You just cant compare a Multi to a Mono, SV or MV,
They do different things for different people,

Example, If you live permanently in a Marina, Buy a house boat with an outboard, , It dont require sails,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, Hammock, 016.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	197274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat. Pumps and mast spotlight, 016.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	197275  

Name:	Boat, cushions 30-7-2019 026.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	197276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, Temp, Cover, Odds and sods, 012.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	197277  

Name:	Celebrating my first day of retirement and my new Catamaran, Fiji, 2011,.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	197278   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Boat in Fiji on the swing mooring,.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	197279  

Name:	329.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	197285   Click image for larger version

Name:	334.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	197286  

Name:	332.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	197287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat at Bundy,.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	197288  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 20:08   #155

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats why long trousers and shirts with sleeves, shoes and socks were invented..
In the Royal Navy its called 'Self inflicted injuries' and punishable with stoppage of leave and pay plus extra duties.
In the US Army it is an Article 15 (non judicial punishment from the commanding officer) for 'destruction of government property'.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 20:13   #156

Boat: Slocum 43

You really need to get yourself a 50 foot carbon fibre racing trimarane.

Don’t even think about a monohull or catamaran.
the dude abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 21:13   #157

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

There are inexpensive cats out there but you aren't going to get a 2yr old 45' cat for $30k...of course, you won't get a 2yr old 45' mono for $30k either.
You won't get a 20 year old 45 ft cat for that either but you will get a 20 year old mono.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 23:11   #158

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Can you elaborate on why you believe the Amel 50 is a good compromise and why you choose a mono over a cat this time.....no right or wrong answer just interested in your thoughts.

Btw ,I'd have either the Lagoon 450 or Amel, like them both.
The Lagoon 450 excelled at anchor. She had tons of stable one level living area with windows all around and a huge covered aft cockpit. The master stateroom was large and separated from the other staterooms. We really enjoyed these aspects.

We did not like the abrupt/jerky motion while sailing and the explosion-like bridgedeck slapping. The mashinery & electronics we're all over the place, with some hard to reach. The construction quality could have been better also. But, it's a great boat for the money. That's why it's so popular.

I feel the Amel 50 deals with many of the Lagoon 450 shortcomings, albeit at a price. The living area is on one level. Galley is only two steps down. The enclosed cockpit is large enough and 4 not-too-steep steps away. There are hull portholes at the right places to see outside when below. There is tons of storage.

The Amel 50's sea motion is gentle and more pleasant, but she heels. Sailing is easier and more enjoyable. The mashinery & equipment is easy to work on. The engine room is simply amazing! And finally, the construction quality is SO much better than the Lagoon. Basically, she is a very well thought out boat.

That's my summary of it. It all depends on your requirements.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 00:04   #159

Boat: Ferrari. Enzo 11mtr cat

About 20 years ago after a lifetime in performance cruising cats I bought a Newick Val tri as I was under the misapprehension that I was still a 20 yr old.
She sailed like a witch, went to windward like a rat up a drainpipe.
Once when racing under full rig and masthead kite I drove it under right up to the mast. She just stopped popped back up and we carried on. The cockpit was about 2 feet off the water and she heeled over till you were flying the main hull.
This was the most exhilarating sailing above a beach cat that you could have all for $25k.
But wet, wet, wet! Huge boat 32ft x 25ft with no room inside, it was very spartan, ok for a 20yr old and his girlfriend.
I went back to comfort and dry with another cat
FerrariSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:01   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineou812 View Post
Lets face it........After hurricane Maria there was no shortage of "Upside down" cats in the caribbean and probably just as many "Mono's" lying up on some beaches ! That being said,I would stiLL rather be "Right side up" than upside down !!! For obvious reasons ! For aLL of you "Cat snobs" .........Cats flip while Mono's self right !!! Oh and just ask the insurance companies which types that they had to pay out the most salvage totals on !!! LOL
Many of the mono's weren't visible in the photo's. Can you guess why? Personally I'd rather be upside down and afloat, than swimming.

Insurance rates for cat's and mono's are pretty much the same, as a percentage of the insured values. So as far as insurance companies are concerned they represent a similar risk.

While s cat will not self right, it is generally much more difficult to invert in the first place. And people who think their mono can roll through 360degrees, then pop up and keep sailing are kidding themselves.There's little chance the boat won't suffer severe damage, to say nothing of the crew.

I suggest you read this:
Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - News Article

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:13   #161

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:

Right, but you’re likely to find a lot more affordable used 45 foot monohulls than 45 foot multis because they are a smaller boat. A more valid comparison is 50-55 foot monohulls to 45 foot multis.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:14   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Right, but you’re likely to find a lot more affordable used 45 foot monohulls than 45 foot multis because they are a smaller boat. A more valid comparison is 50-55 foot monohulls to 45 foot multis.
The point was if you have no budget, you won't be extremely limited regardless of hull type. Anything in a 45ft range is likely out of reach with only $30k unless it's a really old project boat needing several times that to get it ship shape...doesn't matter mono or cat,

Of course at $30k, you can find some smaller cruising cats, all be it a little older but given the posters boat (Wildebeest3) is a 1978, I assume age isn't a big concern for him.

At least by our estimation, for equivalent living/cruising, cats are no more expensive for equivalent boats (which of course is hard to define but generally accepted that you can go shorter in a cat and still have as much room...exact amount is up for debate).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:28   #163

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
The Lagoon 450 excelled at anchor. She had tons of stable one level living area with windows all around and a huge covered aft cockpit. The master stateroom was large and separated from the other staterooms. We really enjoyed these aspects.

We did not like the abrupt/jerky motion while sailing and the explosion-like bridgedeck slapping. The mashinery & electronics we're all over the place, with some hard to reach. The construction quality could have been better also. But, it's a great boat for the money. That's why it's so popular.

I feel the Amel 50 deals with many of the Lagoon 450 shortcomings, albeit at a price. The living area is on one level. Galley is only two steps down. The enclosed cockpit is large enough and 4 not-too-steep steps away. There are hull portholes at the right places to see outside when below. There is tons of storage.

The Amel 50's sea motion is gentle and more pleasant, but she heels. Sailing is easier and more enjoyable. The mashinery & equipment is easy to work on. The engine room is simply amazing! And finally, the construction quality is SO much better than the Lagoon. Basically, she is a very well thought out boat.

That's my summary of it. It all depends on your requirements.
Thanks.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:57   #164

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:

At least by our estimation, for equivalent living/cruising, cats are no more expensive for equivalent boats (which of course is hard to define but generally accepted that you can go shorter in a cat and still have as much room...exact amount is up for debate).
On that I agree. But so many comparisons on this forum compare boats by equal LOA which is not valid in price or accommodations or seaworthiness.

And, a 40 foot mono can take you anywhere. Not sure the comparable multi can offer the same.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:36   #165
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
On that I agree. But so many comparisons on this forum compare boats by equal LOA which is not valid in price or accommodations or seaworthiness.

And, a 40 foot mono can take you anywhere. Not sure the comparable multi can offer the same.

Your correct, a 40’ mono can take you straight to the bottom and I don’t believe a comparable cat would do that!
Sorry, I figured one ridiculous statement deserved another.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, hull, monohull, multihull