Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 07:09   #91

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: monohull vs multihull observation

We have the same mesh/perforated coverings on all our ports & hatches that I would assume the catamarans you're looking at have. You can fully see through them with very little distortion, but a huge reduction in heat and light. Yes, it sometimes gets too bright midday with all that window area . They work well and also protect the acrylic.

New monohulls do a good job of opening the view from down in the hull with large deadlights as almost a standard now. One of the best for seated view inside is the Cigale with its aft saloon area. But no matter how it is done, with large deadlights of a pilothouse, the saloon area is still disconnected from the cockpit. Cats (and Moody deck saloon) make this one open air living space that is hard to do on anything else.

Matt
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37   #92

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We have the same mesh/perforated coverings on all our ports & hatches that I would assume the catamarans you're looking at have. You can fully see through them with very little distortion, but a huge reduction in heat and light. Yes, it sometimes gets too bright midday with all that window area [emoji3]. They work well and also protect the acrylic.

New monohulls do a good job of opening the view from down in the hull with large deadlights as almost a standard now. One of the best for seated view inside is the Cigale with its aft saloon area. But no matter how it is done, with large deadlights of a pilothouse, the saloon area is still disconnected from the cockpit. Cats (and Moody deck saloon) make this one open air living space that is hard to do on anything else.

Matt
Are we assuming the disconnection is a bad thing? or is it just a different thing?

I got thinking more about the cave comments, assuming monos are caves (which most modern monos aren't) who says that's a bad thing? we have two posters that have already stated that they like that separate secluded private space
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Nothing wrong with the cave feeling, and I’m sure the catamarans with opaque window covers probably give that feeling. But then you can always take the covers of and have great visibility and light. If it makes one feel better use the opaque covers and cut out portlight sized holes. Always nice to have options.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24   #94

Boat: Tartan 40
monohull vs multihull observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Some of this depends on location. Ive never been charged more for slip or hauling costs. It takes slightly less than 1 gallon of bottom paint to put a coat on our 40’ cat, how does that compare to a 40’ monohull? Honest question as I don’t know. We have twin Yamaha 9.9 outboards on our cat that take less than 1 quart of oil each and no filter. Also guessing we motor less than a monohull. As always the costs will be depending on both location and specific boat.

That may all be true. But a 40 foot well equipped blue water cat does not cost the same as a similar 40 foot mono. That’s why the comparisons are not valid. A 40 foot cat is simply a bigger boat and costs accordingly more. And once you appropriately adjust for size eg 40 foot cat to 50-55 mono are about same price, then the differences become less pronounced and it’s a bit easier to justify why folks may own cat or mono.

Otherwise it’s like me with my 40 footer debating with an owner of a 30 foot mono over which boat is more liveable and comfortable. Not a fair comparison. And his boat will cost less to buy store and upkeep

Same LOA and quality mono and cat will never cost the same nor be considered the same size range. There’s much more material and boat in the cat.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:11   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Your right, the initial cost of the 40’ cat will be way higher than the 40’ monohull, but I thought we were talking about cost of upkeep.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:56   #96

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Cost of upkeep is neither here nor there if you buy the vessel at a fraction of the price of the other.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 13:32   #97

Boat: Outremer 55L

We have a 16 year old 55 foot performance cat. We paid the same for our fully equipped cat in NZ a couple years ago as someone else at the same brokerage bought a fully blue water equiped 53 foot Jeanneau of the same vintage at that time. Though our interior space is more like a 42 foot monohull, or a 38 foot condo cat. But we sail like a performance oriented 50-60 foot monohull, without the heel.

Compared to friends with a modern 40 foot Hanse, we have less wetted surface. Our mast is shorter than than our berth neighbour’s 43 foot Beneteau. On the other hand we spent some time recently on a near new 53 foot Hanse. Wow, tons of space below and in the cockpit - it uses all of its 5m of beam. But it has a 7-step ladder down into the saloon. Views down there, not so much. Ease of eating in the cockpit OK if a one-pot meal but otherwise a lot schlepping up and down the ladder.

So it all depends.

I’m not sure that maintenance is much more than a similarly sized monohull, albeit we do have two primary engines. The marginal cost of the extra oil, filters and belts is not material. But in general we do pay from 150-200% more for marinas, haul outs and hard stand.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 15:55   #98

Quote:
Are you sure these window coverings are fully opaque, or is it possible they are the more popular window treatments that allow visibility from inside out?
Makes you wonder why mankind evolved from caves to these houses with huge picture windows!
Exactly. I'm anchored next to a couple of cat's here who'se windows appear to be covered with opaque cloth. But they're not. It's a shade cloth which still allows excellent visibility from inside. But we don't want to crush someone's fantasy with facts, do we?

I can't comment on monohulls anchored nearby, since there are none. Their keels don't allow them into this nice calm lagoon. They're all stuck outside rolling their guts out. I'm sure they're enjoying the "realness" of it though.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 16:35   #99

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Are we assuming the disconnection is a bad thing? or is it just a different thing?

I got thinking more about the cave comments, assuming monos are caves (which most modern monos aren't) who says that's a bad thing? we have two posters that have already stated that they like that separate secluded private space
I loved my tiny, cave like, all-wood interior space on my boat when I was spending winters living aboard in Canada. It's raining outside, you get in after work, stick the drip pan diesel heater on, and read a good book beside the flame under a blanket, while outside the wind howls and the rain lashes down. It's so cozy and wonderful.

Arriving in the tropics, it's.... less optimum. Hah.
Old 01-08-2019, 19:29   #100

Quote:
Are you sure these window coverings are fully opaque, or is it possible they are the more popular window treatments that allow visibility from inside out?
Makes you wonder why mankind evolved from caves to these houses with huge picture windows!
That's how our windows were. From the outside, it looked like the windows were blocked but you could see out clearly from inside.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 19:33   #101

Quote:
Ok, one more opinion before I go. Now keep in mind I'm playing devil's advocate for the sake of entertaining myself and to give a little poke to the multihull purists.....you know who you are[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Monos look better!!! Well some IMHO, yes I know its subjective.

I mentioned there's a Nautitec Open 40 across from me, hot looking cat I think, just beside it is a RM 13.50? and its hotter! Over the years I've really learnt to appreciate the lines of a well drawn mono, most cats (not all) to me are more functionally pleasing than form pleasing......Surely you all agree?

Enjoy your morning coffee[emoji2]
Kind of like a jeep vs a camero can be beautiful

If you want to do a fast 1/4 mile, the camero is the vehicle of choice (comparable to you like to bury the rail in a mono... fun but not much practical use).

If you want to go into the back country, the jeep is beautiful (form follows function).
Old 01-08-2019, 19:37   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I loved my tiny, cave like, all-wood interior space on my boat when I was spending winters living aboard in Canada. It's raining outside, you get in after work, stick the drip pan diesel heater on, and read a good book beside the flame under a blanket, while outside the wind howls and the rain lashes down. It's so cozy and wonderful.

Arriving in the tropics, it's.... less optimum. Hah.
To get that wood teak interior, you are typically looking at older boats (or extraordinarily expensive boats).

We have had two older small cats and they were loaded with interior woodwork.
Old 01-08-2019, 19:46   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Exactly. I'm anchored next to a couple of cat's here who'se windows appear to be covered with opaque cloth. But they're not. It's a shade cloth which still allows excellent visibility from inside. But we don't want to crush someone's fantasy with facts, do we?

I can't comment on monohulls anchored nearby, since there are none. Their keels don't allow them into this nice calm lagoon. They're all stuck outside rolling their guts out. I'm sure they're enjoying the "realness" of it though.
Lol, didn't take much, so they only cover half the windows up with those little holes!

Had drinks and dinner on a big cat tonight, sitting behind the wall was enjoyable, although I couldn't see much. I specifically asked him about his shade cloth, he explained how much it cools the boat down. Nice guy, dosent have an anti mono thing happening, he just likes boats.

Btw ,I'm anchored ,certainly not rolling my guts out, rarely ever do, I think your exaggerating[emoji2]
Old 01-08-2019, 20:42   #104

Quote:

Btw ,I'm anchored ,certainly not rolling my guts out, rarely ever do, I think your exaggerating[emoji2]
Yes, I'm sure your boat never rolls at anchor. Or if it does roll, it's in a good way. Similarly to the way being in a cave is good if it's a mono, yet bad if it's a cat, right?

Meanwhile the mono's that were anchored outside the lagoon here must have had such a nice night, they've all run for shelter this morning. Even those who enjoyed the rolling so much they decided to sleep on the beach. In the rain.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 20:56   #105

Hmmm, don't make things up,never said I dont roll, I said I'm not rolling my guts out,rarely do.

Look you have a nice boat, no denying that, I like your boat ,what I know of it, BUT it wasn't created by God for God, theres good reasons that cats are popular and becoming more popular BUT theres many nice monos around as well, many that I'd prefer over your boat, yes I know that's hard to believe.

Ken puts up a lovely saloon picture of his oyster and the best you can do is "you have the lights on" , how about nice saloon Ken! put up a picture of your saloon and let's compare?

Hope that's not to aggressive "peace" and lots of [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Tags
grass, hull, monohull, multihull