Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 09:36   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Kayak Recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
We've tried:
Rigid standard kayaks: too big & awkward

Klepper folding kayak: these are actually pretty good, but it's questionable whether you could assemble on board - better to dinghy it to shore and assemble there.

Sea Eagle inflatable: cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Advanced Elements inflatible: it works, it doesn't track really well, and is pretty slow, but it works.

Oru folding kayaks: these are amazing. Fast, light, track well, fold to a size you can keep on board, and you can actually assemble them on a the crowded foredeck of even a 30 ft boat. Expensive though; not as expensive as the Kleppers, but not cheap either.

The only functional shortfall of the Oru is that on all but their cheapest / shortest model the cockpits are a little tricky to get into if you are tall and don't fold too well yourself. Their cheapest model this is not a problem though, but it's also not as fast nor does it track as well as their more expensive models. Despite that, it's still head and shoulders above the inflatables we've tried.
The Klepper Folding Kayaks are some of the best made as I understand it.

I have a 16'6" Folbot Cooper Folding Kayak that I use as a Dinghy. It weighs under 40 lbs

I keep it assembled and store it on deck on my Bristol 27. During the off season, I disassemble it and put it into the backpack it came in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=folb...c6RhBrc0SHmtM:
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:42   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have always had kayaks aboard. For us they are almost essential equipment as we live in a place where beach landings can be a bit spicy and almost always involve some level of drama in a dinghy. We have had a tandem that we love for the past few years, but, after talking with a lot of cruisers who have them, we just sprung for a Hobie Mirage Oasis (tandem pedal kayak).

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:58   #18

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

We also use Advanced Elements inflatables. Granted, not the "best" kayak, but IMHO the best inflatables around. It is very important to us to keep the decks as clear as possible on passages, so an inflatable is a must for us.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 12:00   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

In general, longer kayaks perform better, so get the longest you can comfortably carry. We have 8', 10', and 12' and the 12' is by far the fastest and easiest to paddle.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 12:01   #20

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

+1 on the Advanced Elements. We have two of the AdvancedFrame Sport model and I think they are a great compromise between $$, storage space and performance. The light weight is nice for hauling them up/down the companionway. We can assemble and inflate a pair in under 15 minutes. They come with a carrying case and there is room to slip in a 4-piece paddle as well.

Also note that the West Marine Scout Advanced Frame Inflatable Sit-Inside Kayak appears to be a rebranded Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Sport with different colors and just a few minor differences. We actually have one each of the original and the West Marine. West Marine has them on sale at the moment for $299 (1/3 off) which is pretty attractive IMO.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:08   #21

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I like Innova inflatable kayaks, but the pedal kayaks are pretty neat too!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:20   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There was a guy with a new Hobie Mirage pedal kayak last summer out nearby. We were all really impressed and jealous until he got stuck in a kelp bed and had a hard time getting out. Just one more consideration perhaps.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 19:05   #23

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
We have a Hobie inflatable pedal kayak. Legs are much stronger than arms so you can go faster and farther than with a paddle. It's especially good for people who may not have the best arm and shoulder strength. I have a minor upper back disk problem that gets irritated when I paddle a regular kayak a long distance. Absolutely no skill required. Very stable. It's a great fishing platform since you can pedal while casting.

You can even get a sail for it.

Not cheap but we use it much more than we ever used our regular kayak.
Had one of these as well, the tandem model. Loved it. But at five years old the seams started coming unglued. Spent lots of time repairing in low humidity garage regluing before our Bahama trip. Used it three times there and then other seams came apart. Left it in a dumpster in Nassau. Talked to hobie about it afterwards, and was told they were not designed to last more than five years, although it was hypalon. Mine spent more time in valise than out of it. Too expensive to justify buying another, especially given high cost.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 22:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There was a guy with a new Hobie Mirage pedal kayak last summer out nearby. We were all really impressed and jealous until he got stuck in a kelp bed and had a hard time getting out. Just one more consideration perhaps.
Should have been able to get out by pulling up his drive (pedals), rudder and using his paddle to get out.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 00:49   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

We have a Viking Nemo kayak, they come with a 30 year warranty on the hull! It can also carry me (100kg) and two kids safely on little adventures.
After a lifetime of boating I cannot believe we did not get a kayak sooner. Our kayak gets more use than the dinghy.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 02:13   #26

I would recommend any modular sin-in by Point65 https://kayaks.point65.com/kayaks/modular
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:42   #27
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Had one of these as well, the tandem model. Loved it. But at five years old the seams started coming unglued. Spent lots of time repairing in low humidity garage regluing before our Bahama trip. Used it three times there and then other seams came apart. Left it in a dumpster in Nassau. Talked to hobie about it afterwards, and was told they were not designed to last more than five years, although it was hypalon. Mine spent more time in valise than out of it. Too expensive to justify buying another, especially given high cost.
That is such a disappointment... I was all ready to go and buy one! Loving this thread
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 17:09   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Robertson & Caine 4600 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
+1 on the Advanced Elements. We have two of the AdvancedFrame Sport model and I think they are a great compromise between $$, storage space and performance. The light weight is nice for hauling them up/down the companionway. We can assemble and inflate a pair in under 15 minutes. They come with a carrying case and there is room to slip in a 4-piece paddle as well.

Also note that the West Marine Scout Advanced Frame Inflatable Sit-Inside Kayak appears to be a rebranded Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Sport with different colors and just a few minor differences. We actually have one each of the original and the West Marine. West Marine has them on sale at the moment for $299 (1/3 off) which is pretty attractive IMO.

Get a SUP
SAMPATICO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak, men