Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2011, 10:39   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

I was just thinking about my first Gulf Stream crossing in a friend's 36' sloop. The winds were SW18 kts or so and waves were coming from three directions. Every now and then a wave would suddenly rise up and join us in the cockpit.

That boat had a bit more freeboard than your Catalina 22, so be sure to keep your companionway hatch closed with the boards in, and think about having a bucket to bail if your cockpit drains become overwhelmed.
Old 29-10-2011, 10:50   #17

Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

a bit on the small size if the stream pipes up, but yes a well found 22 properly sailed in a good weather window should be fine. We crossed same day as a young couple in a 24.... they were both like 6-3 tall!

Old 29-10-2011, 17:34   #18

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think you are asking the wrong question. The question should be "do I have the ability to sail a small boat across the gulf stream?" A fourteen foot dingy was sailed across the Atlantic. The difference in survivability is not the boat, it is the sailor.
Thanks for the advice!!! I know I don't currently have the knowledge/experiance/ability to attempt the trip and I would not do so without the ability, instruction, equipent etc. I was just wondering if the boat is capable of making such a trip. Of course I would like a bigger boat but the price of this boat was right...FREE!!!! Again thanks for the good advice.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:37   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Gentle, I was not trying to get on your case. I was just trying to nudge you in the right direction. I had a number of "sailing courses" but most of them did only superficial good. Get out and sail with the boat or a similar one. Sail in windy conditions with tide/current (and a easy exit) That will tell you what you want to know.
This last Wednesday I was sailing in 30 knots winds, solo in a narrow gap between rocky cliffed islands. That told me a lot about my boat, and my abilities. It would have been pleasant had the winds not wrapped around the islands and continued to shift, but I learned and continued to sail. You may be caught in adverse conditions in the Gulf Stream. I want you to be prepared, and the only way you are going to do that is sail.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:58   #20

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Yes it will do the trip, should be no problem.

Back in the 60's and 70's 4-5 of us would take Sunfish across to the Bahamas with no problem. Oh to be young and crazy again. A 22' boat would have been like a super yacht in comparison.
Old 30-10-2011, 14:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Gentle, I was not trying to get on your case. I was just trying to nudge you in the right direction. I had a number of "sailing courses" but most of them did only superficial good. Get out and sail with the boat or a similar one. Sail in windy conditions with tide/current (and a easy exit) That will tell you what you want to know.
This last Wednesday I was sailing in 30 knots winds, solo in a narrow gap between rocky cliffed islands. That told me a lot about my boat, and my abilities. It would have been pleasant had the winds not wrapped around the islands and continued to shift, but I learned and continued to sail. You may be caught in adverse conditions in the Gulf Stream. I want you to be prepared, and the only way you are going to do that is sail.
No offense taken. More good advice. Thanks.
Old 30-10-2011, 14:19   #22
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Once up on a time I took my captains test single-handing a Catalina 22 on the bay of Panama... It was a tidy little boat and fun to sail. Folks used to run over to las Perlas all the time in them.

Seems like similar challenges. All the advice about watching the weather window sounds right on.

A back up motor might be a good idea as well...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 31-10-2011, 07:53   #23

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

It's perfectly capable. Many Catalina 22's and even a Catalina 18' have been sailed to Hawaii.

Just dont listen to they nay' sayers on this forum, most of them are too afraid to ever leave port.
Old 31-10-2011, 08:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
Just dont listen to they nay' sayers on this forum, most of them are too afraid to ever leave port.
Naysayers? What naysayers? No one on this thread--not one single respondent--has told him that his boat can't do it.

He has been offered some things to consider that would make the trip safer and/or more comfortable--most of it from people who have been there and done that. That's all.

The truth is that there is precious little "naysaying" on this board, and most of it is in response to people who know almost nothing about cruising but have, nonetheless, made ridiculously unrealistic plans. In other words, most of it is directed at people who desperately NEED to hear someone say "nay!"
Old 31-10-2011, 08:58   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Unfortunatly too many people think that sailing is like driving an RV. Then we get a situation like the Santuary thread. But then again driving never turned me on.
Old 31-10-2011, 12:39   #26

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. I will be spending this winter doing repairs, painting, etc. to The Gentle Way (thats Judo in english) and hopefully sailing her by next summer!!!
Old 31-10-2011, 13:23   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Naysayers? What naysayers? No one on this thread--not one single respondent--has told him that his boat can't do it.

He has been offered some things to consider that would make the trip safer and/or more comfortable--most of it from people who have been there and done that. That's all.

The truth is that there is precious little "naysaying" on this board, and most of it is in response to people who know almost nothing about cruising but have, nonetheless, made ridiculously unrealistic plans. In other words, most of it is directed at people who desperately NEED to hear someone say "nay!"
Well said, Don. Couldn't agree more.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-12-2011, 19:41   #28

Boat: S2 9.2C

The adventure awaits you!

We spent 05/06 winter months sailing the Exuma chain. The cold fronts inspire wicked winds. We had an 1980 30' Hunter Cherubini. Fresh water and ice will be your great challenge. The weather improves into March depending how far south you intend to wander. A good compass, a handheld GPS, and current charts served us well. (And some seamanship is VERY important) What we lacked in a cruiser boat we made up with a shallow draft allowing us the option of enjoying sailing the banks to Great Exuma. I often dream of doing the trip ON A SMALLER boat with a centerboard or swing keel. Camping out to sea...
Scamping! I have endured the trip if you ever need info.

BeulahBelle
Old 25-03-2012, 06:49   #29

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Its not just the size of the yacht. More skippers loose boats than boats loose themselves. I did a circumnav in a Westerley Cirus 23ft back in the late 70's and had no problems I couldnt handle but I did spend alot of time prepairing tha yacht and have been sailing all my life. But as many will say here get experience and learn. Life is a contest if you never participate you will never win
Old 16-10-2012, 08:54   #30

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190

The answer to the question that was asked is; yes. The 22 was one of the best of the Catalinas.

Tags
Bahamas, florida, catalina, bahamas