Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 09:18   #16

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: I Are a Sailor

Couple of decades ago I asked a guy to teach me to sail. He said he would, but first he had to teach me to relaminate the fore deck of his Hunter. Got marrIed 8 months later. It's one way to learn......
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:32   #17

Boat: Baltic 52

Good for you. Keep sailing, and keep pushing your comfort zone. Remember, this supposed to be fun, whether you're racing, cruising or just out "messing about in boats". Keep it that way, and you may have a lifetime of pleasure.

The critics are those few who climbed into a boat at age 5, and became AC quality skippers in moments. I've instructed junior and adult sailing for beginners and intermediates off and on for some decades, and never met one of those fortunate few.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:46   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Couple of decades ago I asked a guy to teach me to sail. He said he would, but first he had to teach me to relaminate the fore deck of his Hunter. Got marrIed 8 months later. It's one way to learn......
Doesn't sound like white washing the fence.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 12:05   #19

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

So glad to know I am not the only one
Old 23-06-2015, 12:38   #20

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by edselby View Post
Took and passed ASA 101 and put in a few hours of solo practice on a "non-navigable" lake during my summer vacation. I can see sail trim is an art form that needs a LOT of practice.

Give me another 97 hours of 10kt winds and I might have a pretty good idea of what to do.
Good Job edselby, we can never have enough sailors
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 20:56   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Avast edselby!
Just use my patented 3 step process and you'll become a pro in no time.
1) sail,
2) sail,
3) sail...
... after all some of my best friendships were made running into my neighbor's boat in the marina

Seriously, my photography instructor long ago said the best way to take good photos is to take a lot of photos. Light wind, heavy wind, no wind, rain, snow, hot, cold, with friends, solo... you get the idea. Hope you have fun.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Avast edselby!
Seriously, my photography instructor long ago said the best way to take good photos is to take a lot of photos. Light wind, heavy wind, no wind, rain, snow, hot, cold, with friends, solo... you get the idea. Hope you have fun.
Interestingly, that is exactly what my first photography teacher told me, too.

(Photography by Ed Selby | Affordable Photography For North Georgia - if you're interested)
edselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 07:12   #23

Boat: Island Packet 35

On a Friday afternoon in 1989, I headed off to Catalina Island from Dana Point Harbor in a 20' sailboat that I owned for less than a week and sailed 3 times prior. Albeit, I sailed dinks growing up, this was my first real boat. I learned a lot on that trip and survived. It was a list of things not to do, but a successful trip is one that your boat is back tied up to her dock at the end of it. Once moored in Avalon, I was entertainment for the other more experienced sailors, but not one of them didn't offer friendly advice and further encouragement and help in every way they could.

There should always be compassion for people with a passion to sail, no matter where they are on their journey.

tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 07:27   #24

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Irony. Anyone who remembers Dana Point in the late 80's through the 90's may remember a beautiful blue hulled Cherubini 44 ketch owned by a scruff old guy by the name of Joe Meluso. I helped sand, varnish and paint that boat more times than I can remember, but Joe Meluso was probably the best mentor anyone could ask for. He would never just give a man a fish, but would not hesitate to drop everything he was doing to teach him to fish for himself.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail