Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2022, 11:35   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Frustrated

Disability comes in many forms, obviously mobility is not one of them else he'd not be looking at life afloat.
As to his just looking to vegitate... or not, he has yet to say.
Paucity of info on long term plans/ambitions.. maybe he'll chip in if he's still here.
Just trying to throw in some positive to balance the negative.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 11:52   #92

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Do you live aboard your Watkins 27.???
Not only "no" but 'hell no! and my Watkins, at 10' beam, is probably one of the most 'livable' 27 footers out there. Were I to live aboard, I'd want something in the mid 30' range with a couple cabins.

Quote:
Do you need to hold down a job
No.

Quote:
are you free to 'drift' so to speak.
Also no. Wife of 47 years and subsequent family have me 'anchored', so to speak

Quote:
Folks that live this life don't have all the bells and whistles like W/makers, freezers, A/C etc.. they live the KISS lifestyle.
Hard for many here to imagine I guess..
I get and can respect that.

Quote:
Bottom needs doing, head somewhere with decent tides and dry out alongside scrubbing the hull as it drops.. paint one side, turn on next tide, repeat.. do your anodes at the same time.
I know I'm being nit-picky here but were I able to cruise, most would probably be in the SE US and Gulf, where 'tide' is what you use in a wash machine. But I get your point and suppose one could cruise up to Main or Nova Scotia for such work. (I mean that's the whole point of cruising, right? )

Quote:
Cruised the Atlantic/Med for 4yrs with basics, wind, speed, depth, h/h GPS, cold box with spillover tray and wind gen.
Always had power, even with the elec windlass.
Problems, rudder bushes needed replacing, one week on the hard and polished the hull after doing the rudder.. Exhaust baffle blew so replaced with looped hose while afloat.
Wintered in a marina Nov to April and paid for it doing work on others boats and diving for bits dropped over the side by DIY'rs..
There's always ways to subsidise the kitty as you move if you have any skills.
I get that and again, agree. But remember, the OP has (apparently) no experience, and is somehow disabled.
Old 14-05-2022, 12:00   #93

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

A really interesting thread to read, although as someone said, considerable thread drift given the OPs questions. So why do I find this interesting? well there are such a wide difference in views and experiences.

But my own 2 cents worth (and my experience is well outside North America). I have met many many people living on boats very cheaply around the South Pacific. Mostly old single men (often in their late 70s and 80s, a majority from the US), with boats that have lost their function as sail boats many years ago. They live on almost derelict boats on what most of you describe as a mooring ball. In many 3rd world countries it's cheap to buy a permit and lay your own, and they use the boat's head, and their shower is a swim or a visit to a land based friend. Or when here in NZ they are members of a local gym or swim pool where they use the showers etc. Boats are in serious state of disrepair, motors that haven't gone for years. They have a little dinghy to get to/from shore. I'm not judging, but it's not a lifestyle I would aspire for when I am that age. But they all seem very happy and content, usually open to a beer and a yarn, all have stories.

Obviously, as many posters have suggested in respect to their own boating lifestyle, what I describe above isn't their reality. But many of you have listed stuff that needs to be done periodically like anti foul, a new sail, replace running rigging, and motor parts etc etc. Many people don't bother. They never move their boat, so it's tomorrow's issue and tomorrow rarely ever arrives.

OP I'd suggest that you'll live the same lifestyle you live on land as on a boat. If you only have $900 a month to live, then that's what life will cost irrespective of living on a boat. Living on a boat doesn't magic up money, but with a very limited budget when things break then you may be frustrated in your attempt or ability to fix or replace, particularly if you lack money. But people without much money can be very motivated do innovate and negotiate around the problem. And things have a tendency to break more often on boats, given the harsh realities of being in sea water. And like Boatman said, if you don't aspire to microwaves, AC, water makers etc then you can live in a 12volt world far more cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Have you never met any dirtbag climbers?
Maybe I have met one, dunno, never heard that expression before, so please, what is a dirt bag climber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
... They bubble the boat hulls all winter to stop the ice from crushing them...
... the two bubblers running ...
Would someone in the icey waters please explain what this is all about? I live in a warm wet world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Short answer: no. Again short answer: yes.
Let's be realistic (and there are a lot of assumptions based on extremely limited information). Sailing is a physical 'sport'. If you are physically limited, it's probably not for you.
But the biggest issue is economic. Boats are really expensive, to buy and to maintain. I can't see anyone living aboard, if all they have to rely on is $900/mo income.
Your annual income is only $10,800/yr (= $900/mo) you are way below the poverty line for individuals @ $13,590 (source: Healthcare.gov) You need to get yourself hooked into some sort of social program... to survive!
I'm sorry if I've 'burst a bubble' but reality is a b*tch.
I think that this is a very unkind response Gary. You openly state that you don't have all the information but then still go ahead with a beat up.

Your boat might be really expensive Gary, but many aren't, and I've never ever thought that cruising about on a boat is especially 'physical'. Plenty of people with limited mobility, and other health issues get by fine. The OP wasn't asking about joining an Americas Cup racing team or entering a boat in the Vendee Globe. Get a grip dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Not to muddy the waters here, but a $900/month budget pretty much assumes you will live a lonely, single, monk type lifestyle.
Attracting someone from the fairer sex to your humble abode is likely to be frought with difficulties. I'm not saying impossible, but extremely challenging.
I've met a fair amount of singlehanders in my life, all living on the " cheap"....and they are singlehanded for a reason.
Spelling and grammar aside; another very very judgy post, based on generalisations, presumably all built on entitlement. When I was a little kid I had a Nana who had a very simple suggestion that I still try to follow and that was if you've nothing good to say to someone don't say anything. My Nana would have given you a clip round the ears Mic.
Old 14-05-2022, 12:16   #94
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Frustrated

In Ireland the basic long term jobless support payment to a single person with no dependants is €1150 ( $1200) a month on which zero tax is paid. This is regarded as a basic subsistence existence and is similar to the state pension scheme for elderly people ( who usually also have an additional occupational pension )

At this level people would be eligible to completely free medical care both GP and hospital and free drugs , would be eligible for free third level education , and subsidised or free housing. A further range of smaller support schemes are also available. If the person is soley on the state pension then a further range of incentives like free national public transport , subsidised home heating etc are added in top of the medical stuff etc.

Hence here $900 ie about €850 would be regarded as insufficient and inhuman. The minimum wage here is €1656 ( $1724) a month for a normal 40 hour week. Plus 4.5 weeks statutory vacation per annum.

Hence in my view trying to exist on a boat , which is not a cheap experience ( certainly where you actually use the boat ) is too low an income to really make it work. Having lived in the US the indirect costs of little public transport , and the issue of health and dental care on top make that $900 even less attractive compared to its European equivalent.
Old 14-05-2022, 12:35   #95
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In Ireland the basic long term jobless support payment to a single person with no dependants is €1150 ( $1200) a month on which zero tax is paid. This is regarded as a basic subsistence existence and is similar to the state pension scheme for elderly people ( who usually also have an additional occupational pension )
Damn.. That's nearly double my pension..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 13:18   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I think that this is a very unkind response Gary. You openly state that you don't have all the information but then still go ahead with a beat up.

Your boat might be really expensive Gary, but many aren't, and I've never ever thought that cruising about on a boat is especially 'physical'. Plenty of people with limited mobility, and other health issues get by fine. The OP wasn't asking about joining an Americas Cup racing team or entering a boat in the Vendee Globe. Get a grip dude.
Maybe you should follow your own advice, and get a grip yourself... dude.

I stand by what I've said throughout the thread. A disabled person, living below the poverty level, should probably not be looking at trying to live on a boat/take up a cruising lifestyle.

As far as cruising about in a boat being especially physical, it's probably not, if you never leave that slip in more than 10 knts wind, and scurry back at the sight of the first gray cloud. But as someone who has been sailing over 50 years mostly in the 'protected' waters of the Great Lakes, I would disagree.
Old 14-05-2022, 13:19   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Actually for that budget of $3500-$4000 you can have an apartment, vehicles, and all the rest AND a sailboat in a slip at a marina.
OK... I'll bite, where?
Old 14-05-2022, 13:24   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

At this level people would be eligible to completely free medical care both GP and hospital and free drugs , would be eligible for free third level education , and subsidised or free housing. A further range of smaller support schemes are also available. If the person is soley on the state pension then a further range of incentives like free national public transport , subsidised home heating etc are added in top of the medical stuff etc.

Hence here $900 ie about €850 would be regarded as insufficient and inhuman. The minimum wage here is €1656 ( $1724) a month for a normal 40 hour week. Plus 4.5 weeks statutory vacation per annum.

Hence in my view trying to exist on a boat , which is not a cheap experience ( certainly where you actually use the boat ) is too low an income to really make it work. Having lived in the US the indirect costs of little public transport , and the issue of health and dental care on top make that $900 even less attractive compared to its European equivalent.
In the US it depends on the state. Northeastern and midwestern states tend to be a bit more 'generous'. Southern states, like Texas, not so much. And there are a lot of hurdles to jump over and hoops to jump through to get those benefits.
Old 14-05-2022, 13:36   #99

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I never said it couldn't be done, by the OP or anyone else.

I did say, just because something can be done doesn't mean it should.

And I will say that, in my opinion, a disabled person, who's income is less than 80% of the poverty level, and is trying to survive on $900/mo, probably should not take up the cruising lifestyle.

Other's opinions may vary...

That's my story; I'm sticking to it.
Geez ...chill out.

I listened to this guy a lot when I was finally able to return to the Coast in the mid 90's

Btw, I have a female Cyber Tech from up your way .......Upper Michigan. She had to show me on the map. Near Flatrock I believe

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 13:46   #100

Quote:
OK... I'll bite, where?

Most anywhere.

VA Beach, Pensacola, FL, Ft Walton Beach, FL, Onancock, VA, Memphis, TN. etc, etc

When I lived here in Pensacola the rent for a 2 bedroom was $740/month.

https://www.thejamestownestates.com/

I'm guessing it's near $1,000/month now so there you go. No problem at $4,000/month

My Apartment here (VA Beach) is $1100/month (1000 sq ft) but I also have the house and a boat in a slip all on the same budget of about $3500-$4000/month.

I pay the cable, internet, electric, upgrades for the house also.

And at present I'm paying for a new engine for my exwife's Jeep GC (I bought for her) which is about $7,000 installed (Jasper Crate engine)

It helps that I paid $2,000 for my cruising boat, slip fee is about $250/month, have no car or mortgage payments, and don't go to restaurants
Old 14-05-2022, 14:33   #101

Quote:
Most anywhere.

VA Beach, Pensacola, FL, Ft Walton Beach, FL, Onancock, VA, Memphis, TN. etc, etc
Mmmm-hmmm I'm guessing you enjoyed more than just the music of the 'Jimmy Buffet' lifestyle...

I'm only interested in VA, more specifically the western shore of the Chesapeake. Anything from the James to the Rappahannock would work. Delmarva's too far out.

Everything on Apartments.com in VB is over $1K but it doesn't mean there aren't any in the area.

Reason for my interest is we have family in VA, my Watkins is trailerable, and it would be nice to sail where the season isn't limited by ice and the fact the travel lift only runs May - October.

Just had a fight with the wife today about the yard. Maybe it's time to get a couple condo's near the docks and snowbird.
Old 14-05-2022, 14:48   #102

Quote:
Mmmm-hmmm I'm guessing you enjoyed more than just the music of the 'Jimmy Buffet' lifestyle...

I'm only interested in VA, more specifically the western shore of the Chesapeake. Anything from the James to the Rappahannock would work. Delmarva's too far out.

Everything on Apartments.com in VB is over $1K but it doesn't mean there aren't any in the area.

Reason for my interest is we have family in VA, my Watkins is trailerable, and it would be nice to sail where the season isn't limited by ice and the fact the travel lift only runs May - October.

Just had a fight with the wife today about the yard. Maybe it's time to get a couple condo's near the docks and snowbird.
That should be easy near Urbanna or Deltaville. (plus a couple others)

Plus that marina I was telling you about Belle Isle is in the area also. Just inside Back River. You could probably get a slip for $150.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...12!4d-76.29288

https://www.bellislemarina.com/

In Deltaville, VA

https://dycboat.com/slips/

Urbanna, VA

https://urbannava.gov/marina/index.php
Old 14-05-2022, 15:01   #103

Quote:
That should be easy near Urbanna or Deltaville. (plus a couple others)

Plus that marina I was telling you about Belle Isle is in the area also. Just inside Back River. You could probably get a slip for $150.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...12!4d-76.29288

https://www.bellislemarina.com/

In Deltaville, VA

https://dycboat.com/slips/

Urbanna, VA

https://urbannava.gov/marina/index.php
Old 14-05-2022, 16:11   #104
CLOD

Boat: none

Well while I have doubts, i hope the OP does it and it works out and he enjoys it.
Old 14-05-2022, 16:59   #105

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well while I have doubts, i hope the OP does it and it works out and he enjoys it.

… and lets us know how he goes!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote