Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 15:04   #31

Boat: Yacht Charter Boats
Re: Cruising Jewish Sailors (Reform, Conservative, Orthodox)

My thought was more like storm jib, full reef, windvane, and pre-tie the series drogue to the stern for quick deployment. Of course, followed by a Friday night dinner.

Aside from big ocean crossings, I think the Caribbean is more than doable with all the complications considered, outside of the holidays.

Max
meg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 23:20   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To me, a shiksa, the deal is to respect all the beliefs we encounter as cruisers. Yes, that will put limitations on me, but that's okay. We're all out here, enjoying something quite special, more special, imo, in the farther away from population centers one gets.

Beyond the layers of religions represented among cruisers is their essential humanity, and that provides all of us with ways of coping with religious differences. IMHO

Ann

PS., Meg, you are equally welcome in this community, as our friends Josh, & Joyce, and so many others. As long as you don't do something terrible in the spring, you're okay! More than okay, welcome. We'll respect your limits, and expect a similar courtesy from you.

A.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:55   #33

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To me, a shiksa, the deal is to respect all the beliefs we encounter as cruisers. Yes, that will put limitations on me, but that's okay. We're all out here, enjoying something quite special, more special, imo, in the farther away from population centers one gets.

Beyond the layers of religions represented among cruisers is their essential humanity, and that provides all of us with ways of coping with religious differences. IMHO

Ann

PS., Meg, you are equally welcome in this community, as our friends Josh, & Joyce, and so many others. As long as you don't do something terrible in the spring, you're okay! More than okay, welcome. We'll respect your limits, and expect a similar courtesy from you.

A.
Nicely put. It's remarkable how trepidation & fears quickly evaporate as soon as you spend a little face-to-face time with someone of another faith, nationality, ethnicity, or even personality.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:10   #34

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg23 View Post
I am a Jewish sailor and find myself often asking, are there are any other Jewish sailors out there serious about cruising? If so, any stories worth sharing like celebrating Chanukah in the South Pacific?

Secondly, even more specifically, are there any Orthodox cruisers out there?

My wife and I are Orthodox and we occasionally do yacht charters. We kasher the galley and spend shabbos tied up at marina. As far as I can tell, we are part of an extremely small group. Would love to meet someone who is Orthodox and has some cruising experience.
I am a secular, non-believing Jew and if I observe anything it will be as a tradition not as a religious imperative.
Being Othodox, you take upon yourself restrictions that at sea are somewhat more difficult to observe. This will be more and more difficult the further you are from home and familiar environment where the solutions are near and known.
It does not make it impossible, only difficult, and chartering is easier than cruising long term. Think about getting kosher food supplies on a remote Greek or Polynesian island. You can live on fruits and vegetables but meat will not be obtainable. Do you drink milk produced by a non-Jew?.
It is not impossible to live that way only difficult.
Many years ago I sent an employee of a company I was managing at the time to a remote African country to manage a long term project. The guy, who ate only kosher food, learned how to perform ritual slaughter and prepared his own meat/poultry while abroad.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 17:34   #35

Boat: Grampian 26

I know nothing on the subject. This is an awesome response.

Thank you [emoji4]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
While I am not observant I do remember learning that there are valid exceptions to the Sabbath prohibitions - when one's (or anyone else's) life would be in mortal danger, etc. So it would seem that under such rule if/when sailing offshore not doing any steering or using electronics for a whole 25 hours (yes, I think it's actually 25 not 24 as far as the length of the official Sabbath goes) would put lives in danger and thus would be exempt from this prohibition. Hey, after all if this exemption is good enough for the IDF it should be good enough for the rest of the people. ))
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 18:33   #36

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
I know nothing on the subject. This is an awesome response.

Thank you [emoji4]
And the response is shocking similar to things that are haram in Islam.

In fact, it’s precisely the same.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 19:03   #37

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
In business I have had relations with very religious Jews and they cannot use or operate any machinery on their sabbath... can't press an elevator button for example... or drive in a car on sabbath. It would seem that sailing on sabbath would not be permitted.
Judaism, like most religions can be interpreted many ways.

Our local 'Jewish' hospital has the elevators on automatic. They stop on every floor. The passenger is not doing any work. There are no buttons to press. The elevator was set in motion Friday night and runs all weekend.

The same with keeping food warm. The hotplate or stove is started before the Sabbath and stays on until the end.

An 'Eruv' is an enclosure that makes the included area a 'private' domain, thus making certain activities permitted. We have large neighbourhoods surrounded by such a wire, permitting the religious people to walk around.

Turning on electronics would not be permitted, but probably acceptable if they were always on...

Operating a rudder is not necessarily 'work'. The wind is doing the work and you are simply providing a direction. Your boat can be considered your neighbourhood/home (surrounded by an Eruv) and you are simply walking/sailing in a particular direction... Using an autopilot would be the same as putting the elevators or hotplate on automatic...

Note: I am not a Rabbi... Happy Hanukah!
Old 10-12-2020, 23:54   #38

Religious people invent rules hard to live by and then invest huge effort to find ways to circumvent these same rules��
Old 11-12-2020, 03:36   #39

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Religious people invent rules hard to live by and then invest huge effort to find ways to circumvent these same rules��
Don't we all do that, religious or not? Don't we all have rules to live by? And do we not all have tendencies to circumvent those rules when convenient?

just sayin

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Knew a man who became an un-official Shabbos goy for his orthodox neighbors. I'm sure the OP knows what I am talking about.
I love this story! Not only does it speak to the other Members who responded that within the sailing community we are not much concerned with a fellow cruiser's religion, also, it shows a brilliant way that one community member helped out his dockmates so they could maintain their observances.

This is what the sailing community is all about. Pay attention newbs!

Happy Channukah!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Don't we all do that, religious or not? Don't we all have rules to live by? And do we not all have tendencies to circumvent those rules when convenient?

just sayin

jon
I am (almost) sure that you understand the difference between rules that keep society functioning (not stealing, stop at red light) and religious rules (don't light fire on the Shabat, do not drink wine if you are Moslem).
I do agree that all or most of us like to circumvent rules, at least of the lighter shade e.g. the red light I have mentioned (I am sure it was green when I drove through&#128513
Old 11-12-2020, 03:46   #42

Quote:
Have a care, Meirrba. As soon as this thread crosses the line into disrespect, this thread will be immediately shut down.

Please find a way to be generous and kind during this holiday season - and always.

Thank you,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:54   #43

Quote:
Don’t derail this thread.

I’m an atheist, but can appreciate this thread. It’s is a nice thread helping bring together and locate a rather small group. Jewish sailors.

Please show a little decency and common courtesy and let people have a good time here without all this captain bring down, anti religion BS.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Don’t derail this thread.

I’m an atheist, but can appreciate this thread. It’s is a nice thread helping bring together and locate a rather small group. Jewish sailors.

Please show a little decency and common courtesy and let people have a good time here without all this captain bring down, anti religion BS.
👍😄
OK. Accepted...Wish the religious section pleasant and safe sailing (any day of the week)
Old 11-12-2020, 04:34   #45

Quote:
👍😄
OK. Accepted...Wish the religious section pleasant and safe sailing (any day of the week)
And I wish you the same!

Tags
cruising, sail