Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 10:47   #1

Boat: Swan 40
Corrosion On Hatch Frames

Hi all,

I have a quick question. On a few of the hatch aluminum frames, there is some corrosion/pitting of the metal. You can see this in the image with the left hatch being worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to make these look like new again? I was thinking about sanding down with a light grade wet and dry to smooth out the metal but obviously don't want the scratch marks from the sanding.

I have tried metal polish but this did not work well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_120255 (2).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	215313  
jamrocksailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:20   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Corrosion On Hatch Frames

Hi. It looks like the aluminum is anodized as are a lot of production hatches.
If you sand the anodized layer, the aluminum will oxidize. I’m not going to suggest any particular product to coat raw aluminum but i’m sure you will receive suggestions on the forum. Some boatbuilders spray paint anodized tubing where it has been TIG welded. Some polish and wax. Aluminum forms a self protective layer so many just leave it alone. You can learn more on the numerous TIG welding webs and you might try any of the shops which replace the lenses. I’ve had one “ocean” hatch break at the weld, one lense split at the handle hole. Eventually I will replace all my larger extruded frame hatches with custom welded ones but this has more to do with strength than appearance.
I would avoid any treatment with silicone as you might need to reattach the gaskets or redo the lense or weld at sometime in the future.
Regards, Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:20   #3

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, structurally they are all very sound and don't leak. It's more from an aesthetics perspective on the frame to make the aluminum-look all smooth and polished again.

Have a great day.

D
Old 18-05-2020, 14:12   #4
ELC

Look around as most cities have someone doing anodizing. You would have to remove them and the lenses. They could either sand it down before hand or tig and grind. Then polish and anodized to look like new. Warning, it might not be cheap!
ELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 11:24   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrocksailing View Post
Hi all,

I have a quick question. On a few of the hatch aluminum frames, there is some corrosion/pitting of the metal. You can see this in the image with the left hatch being worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to make these look like new again? I was thinking about sanding down with a light grade wet and dry to smooth out the metal but obviously don't want the scratch marks from the sanding.

I have tried metal polish but this did not work well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The hatches on my boat are teak framed. For a number of years I looked into updating them with the modern aluminum designs but couldn't find any that would fit the current dimensions. I even consulted with a fabricator to have them copied in modern composite materials but the cost for such a limited run is very high. Then I starting reading forum articles about folks with modern hatch leaks/corrosion and having to replace this and that on their hatches. I have come to the conclusion that aluminum is not the answer and to stick with my teak framed hatches.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:47   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

MJH. Apples and oranges. Extruded aluminum is quite light in thickness in comparison to aluminum which a fabricator might use. Cast aluminum is used on commercial fishing boats and while heavy, extremely strong. I have four and they are about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. They open with a tool or a built in bar. Fish boats, USCG boats, commercial boats...all trust them for deck hatches. The drawback is cost. If you can find a good aluminum fabricator, they could TIG weld you hatches which could replace your teak hatches without a lot of glass work on your boat. You could use plastic or glass lenses. My pilot house windows are laminated bank glass but I don’t lift them up like a hatch.
I purchased four “ Ocean “ hatches ,top quality... nothing but trouble. The smaller sizes are passable but the 24x24 are just too light. The gaskets shrink, one weld failed and one lense split. You just need more aluminum to give you the rigidity, you need to stop any flex and the force of the sea.
Find someone manatee size and have them jump up and down on your hatch.
If it holds, you can call it seaworthy.
Regards, Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 12:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC View Post
Look around as most cities have someone doing anodizing. You would have to remove them and the lenses. They could either sand it down before hand or tig and grind. Then polish and anodized to look like new. Warning, it might not be cheap!
yep, looks like might be the only option. wish I had less hatches now
Old 15-06-2020, 12:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. It looks like the aluminum is anodized as are a lot of production hatches.
If you sand the anodized layer, the aluminum will oxidize. I’m not going to suggest any particular product to coat raw aluminum but i’m sure you will receive suggestions on the forum. Some boatbuilders spray paint anodized tubing where it has been TIG welded. Some polish and wax. Aluminum forms a self protective layer so many just leave it alone. You can learn more on the numerous TIG welding webs and you might try any of the shops which replace the lenses. I’ve had one “ocean” hatch break at the weld, one lense split at the handle hole. Eventually I will replace all my larger extruded frame hatches with custom welded ones but this has more to do with strength than appearance.
I would avoid any treatment with silicone as you might need to reattach the gaskets or redo the lense or weld at sometime in the future.
Regards, Mark
Hi thanks, kindly, will keep investigating.

Tags
corrosion, hatch