Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 20:33   #31

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Cell phones in Canada

https://distancecalculator.globefeed...Calculator.asp

From Cornwall to North Scotland is about 1000km/600mi.

That is 10hr driving in US or Canada @ 100kph/60mph.

Len
Old 22-02-2019, 01:44   #32

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
We're Yanks who live in Canada 6 months each year (Nova Scotia). Yes, cell coverage there is pricey. We use Telus and we had to have the account for three months before we could call internationally ($1.20 per min.) A pain, for our other home is in the US. Your cheapest option may be to see if you can get a plan with your existing phone that will work in Canada.

Fortunately, we have a land-line at our Canadian home and the cross-border calls are cheap.

Sorry we couldn't be more helpful. Canada is a wonderful country and trip destination. Well worth the trip even with pricey cell phones.

Canadian celphone info. Not sure how current,but may be helpful. / Len

https://www.cellphones.ca/cell-plans...-canada-10086/
Old 22-02-2019, 03:16   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Thanks for all the information, it's been really useful and the advice on "must see" places.

I've just realised that my second SIM slot only supports 2g - I had been thinking of getting a prepaid data SIM but 2g is no good on that. Alternatively I could put my UK SIM in slot two and the data SIM in slot one which supports up to 4g.

The final choice is to disable roaming and rely on WiFi and WhatsApp and Skype.... Certainly the cheapest option.

I'm not travelling until June so.... I'll defer the decision for a while.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 04:44   #34

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Canada is a very clean, safe country, where the people are civilized and friendly.
We love to have visitors, and look forward to welcoming you.
Unfortunately some companies like to take advantage of our civility and politeness.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:05   #35

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

A couple of observations from a US perspective...

There was some fine print in our US phone contract that even the sales people at the mobile phone storefront didn't know about. While the large print said some of the plans allowed free roaming in Canada, the fine print said it was only good for two weeks. After that, if you didn't return to the US at least once, they'd cut you off.

We found WiFi to be much more readily available, and reliable, than in the US. Parks Canada has lit up just about every park, campground and marina. Hotels and restaurants had it. It was usually free, although you generally had to ask for the password.

We ended up waiting until we got there, and just swapped the SIM in one of our phones for one we picked up at one of the storefronts. I think it was with Bell. They gave us a pre-paid plan because they couldn't give us a monthly plan without a Canadian address. But even for the pre-paid plan, they used their own store address, so I don't know why they said that.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:20   #36

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

I have Google Fi on a dual sim iPhone and it’s amazing! Dirt cheap and LTE speeds everywhere. I travel extensively including Canada and the other posts are accurate. Canada is very likely the most expensive place to obtain cell service on the planet. In the past I would purchase a prepaid sim then along came T-Mobile with global data but they have become so slow it’s not usable for myself. Google Fi is definitely the way to go for example I’m in the UK right now and my phone is roaming with no additional expense at LTE speed. I found the link below that explains how to order the service outside the US..

https://medium.com/digital-nomad-stories/how-to-hack-google-fi-for-non-us-citizens-e065e978d8e4
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:34   #37

You may want to look at Public Mobile. Very competitive prices (for Canada) and they use Telus network which is as good or better as any.
pterrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 08:28   #38

I can't offer much to the conversation; our wireless pricing is a dumpster fire. Telus will have better coverage than Rogers, everywhere in the West except in major cities.

If you have the time, travel from Calgary to Kamloops, then take the route through Cache Creek and Lillooet, up through Pemberton and Whistler to arrive in North Vancouver. It is an absolute MUST DO trip on a motorcycle, but excellent on 4 wheels as well. Shocking scenery and most of the route the road is in great condition.

The usual route from Kamloops through Merritt, Hope and the Fraser Valley is OK too, but not AS scenic.
LaughingWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
Hoping that one of our Canadian cousins can help! We have a four week vacation in Canada in the summer, coming from the UK.

My UK service provider's roaming is unbelievably expensive, no surprises there. I have a dual SIM phone so I've been looking at SIM+data packages but they seem, by UK standards, really expensive.

I'd like a pay as you go with say, 5gb data, and maybe some minutes but I can use VOIP for most calls.

Any ideas, suggestions, ideas of cost?

Thanks for reading

Get some one in the USA to get u a T-Mobile account. Allows phone call to and from Canada and USA and calls and data in Canada. Data is slow but u can text 210 countries free Use what’s app etc to make either data or WiFi calls. If you’ve no friends in America go across the border and sign up your self apx 40 YS per month and walk away when done. Great work around.
Yellowbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:11   #40

Boat: Westerly Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
Hoping that one of our Canadian cousins can help! We have a four week vacation in Canada in the summer, coming from the UK.

My UK service provider's roaming is unbelievably expensive, no surprises there. I have a dual SIM phone so I've been looking at SIM+data packages but they seem, by UK standards, really expensive.

I'd like a pay as you go with say, 5gb data, and maybe some minutes but I can use VOIP for most calls.

Any ideas, suggestions, ideas of cost?

Thanks for reading
If you use www. Google.ca Then some answers come up also Trip Advisor.

This was one suggestion using Google.ca

https://www.finder.com/ca/best-prepaid-sim-card-canada

.The costs in BC are higher than here and the two main suppliers are Tellus. And. Rogers and it could be worth checking their web pages.
Using your phone with UK SIM on roaming could cost some thing like 35p plus.per text.
Bilgediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:24   #41

We are Canadians living aboard our boat almost full time in the tropics. When we return to Canada we look for the cheapest pay as you go plan that supports basic data and voice needs. We use Petro Canada Mobility

https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/monthly-plan.aspx

It’s not cheap but it is pay as you go and the SIM cards are available in Petro Canada service stations which are everywhere. You will likely pass several traveling from airport to hotel.

Addison
ajchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:46   #42

I've gone over the same situation in traveling all over the place and finally just bought a sat phone. Rates have com down considerably so its not as expensive as in the past and a long distance call if that's what you are concerned about is the same charge no matter where you are. If you do not want to buy you can rent a phone and minutes for the duration of your trip. My carrier is www.sattelightstore.com out of Sarasota, FL. They have the iridium GO that acts as a sat tower for your phone so you can make sat phone calls with your existing phones. Check it out.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 19:11   #43

Talking Re: Cell phones in Canada

Hello!

I live in Calgary and I ran with a Fido pay as you for many years, you may want to check them out.

I currently am with Freedom Mobile and am happy with them as well.

Have a great time and welcome to Canada when you get here!

Armando Ruggeri
Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 20:03   #44

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Here is a link to Canadian Cellular coverage areas and maps -

https://www.comparecellular.ca/coverage-maps/

Telus ( Koodoo the pay as you go option) is a longtime BC company that expanded but is basically a western company. It has the best overall coverage in BC.
If you make it to Vancouver Island, try to make it over to Pacific Rim Nat Park, Long Beach and Tofino on our west coast. It's spectacular.

Enjoy your trip
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 18:04   #45

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

This company (https://www.luckymobile.ca) might be able to help. They sell through major stores and offer a plan with unlimited cross Canada calling and 8gb of data for $50, plus the cost of a sim. As I understand it, you can top up the account at the end of the month to continue or possibly just walk away and let it lapse.

I never used them but they appear to offer what you want.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, cell phone, phone