Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Can a couple sail a 64ft FC yacht around the world?

IMO, comparing the operation of a 54 foot modern, lightweight production boat to the operationof a 64 foot ferrocement boat of unknown design, construction and equipage is just silly.

The folks at Jeanneau have spent untold hours in design fine tuning, just so that everything works as it should. It is a fin keel, modern hull shaped yacht of light to moderate displacement, so rig loads are relatively small and everything has been designed to work well together... at least that's what the shiny sales brochure will say!

The subject 64 foot FC boat MAY check some of those boxes, but my observation of FC yachts out in the cruising world is that many of them don't, and none of them could be considered either lightweight or modern. One may actually prefer heavy displacement, full keel yachts, but the rig loads required to drive them are larger, and this takes its toll in effort from the crew.

As a non-cruising live aboard the yacht may be just fine... as a long distance cruiser it will likely be a hell of a lot of work just to sail, let alone maintain.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-11-2013, 13:47   #47

Boat: 45ft Ketch

There are ferro boats that have been cruising the world short handed for 30 to 40 years but mostly under 45 ft.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IMO, comparing the operation of a 54 foot modern, lightweight production boat to the operationof a 64 foot ferrocement boat of unknown design, construction and equipage is just silly.

The folks at Jeanneau have spent untold hours in design fine tuning, just so that everything works as it should. It is a fin keel, modern hull shaped yacht of light to moderate displacement, so rig loads are relatively small and everything has been designed to work well together... at least that's what the shiny sales brochure will say!

The subject 64 foot FC boat MAY check some of those boxes, but my observation of FC yachts out in the cruising world is that many of them don't, and none of them could be considered either lightweight or modern. One may actually prefer heavy displacement, full keel yachts, but the rig loads required to drive them are larger, and this takes its toll in effort from the crew.

As a non-cruising live aboard the yacht may be just fine... as a long distance cruiser it will likely be a hell of a lot of work just to sail, let alone maintain.

Cheers,

Jim
On top of that, you will be incredibly reliant on systems to handle the heavy loads. When things break and they will break, how do you handle things? With 4-5 healthy adults, you may get away with manhandling the sails in an emergency on a boat like that. If the wife is down below handling a kid who just had a fall and you can't pull in a sheet on your own without the now failed electric winch, it can get tough. Better plan on keeping that expensive equipment in top notch conditon.

Can it be done? Yes.
Do people do it? Yes.
I'll still put up $10 to $1 that it turns out bad if you follow thru.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 15:38   #49

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

My guess, as the OP has not returned for almost two weeks, is that the dream has gone on to somehting else by now. Interesting discussion though. I vote NO
Old 15-11-2013, 21:17   #50

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:

The folks at Jeanneau have spent untold hours in design fine tuning, just so that everything works as it should.

Jim
G'day Jim,

Robert Clark, the British Yacht Designer, had over the years designed a number of very impressive and popular sailboats/yachts. I believe he is no-longer with us but you can get a bit more information on Robert Clark on this site. Just look what's being asked for a 1937 36' Robert Clark Yacht. I don't know if Robert Clark ever designed anything in FC, I doubt he ever did but I could be wrong, I myself would stick with Hartley or Wilf O'Kell when buying a FC boat...Hartley (NZ) and Wilf O'Kell (AU) both have well proven track records in designing and building great FC boats.
BTW, A boat built in FC, if the builder stuck to the plans and followed the build instructions, will be no heavier than a same size boat built in Timber, steel or whatever.

Bill
Australia
Old 15-11-2013, 22:09   #51
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi! With only two adults on board, limit your boat's size to 40 ft or less. For a 64 footer, you'll need two or more adults to help you out. Your seamanship's skills must be top notch. Your electro-mechanical aptitude should be in the Good/Very Good level. Enjoy!

Mauritz
Simplicity and elegance through engineering.
40' or less? Bah! We love our 48', and wish it was bigger. Docking with two, in all but good conditions.... Is a nightmare.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 15:17   #52

I have a 60 footer and we sail almost every weekend. Most of the time it's just the two of us. And we are still learning how to sail. What I have found is the boat moves slow and is very stable. Ketch rig so I can haul up the main almost to the top by hand. The mizzen no problem. No bow thruster so getting off the dock sometimes takes some thought. Since I'm mostly living on the boat now I'm glad I went large. When we go full time live aboard I'll be really glad. While other boats are hiding from the wind and waves I seek it out because my bigger boat loves it! 68000 pounds likes 25-35 knots and that long water line really moves.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 15:29   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I have a 60 footer and we sail almost every weekend. Most of the time it's just the two of us. And we are still learning how to sail. What I have found is the boat moves slow and is very stable. Ketch rig so I can haul up the main almost to the top by hand. 68000 pounds likes 25-35 knots and that long water line really moves.
Awesome. Docking in a contrarry wind, and hell, must be about the same for you.
How does it handle seas under 5'? We were in 4-6' seas out first day out in the ocean. It was rough. I cannot fathom what that would feel like in a 32' boat.
Old 16-11-2013, 15:40   #54

Ha ha... long dock lines are a must. Just get close enough to tie off quick! Then calmly slowly work your way into the dock. When there is light wind and no waves I go really slow.... break out the wine and cheese... Or just crank up the diesel and get it done.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 16:53   #55

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
G'day Jim,

Robert Clark, the British Yacht Designer, had over the years designed a number of very impressive and popular sailboats/yachts. I believe he is no-longer with us but you can get a bit more information on Robert Clark on this site. Just look what's being asked for a 1937 36' Robert Clark Yacht. I don't know if Robert Clark ever designed anything in FC, I doubt he ever did but I could be wrong, I myself would stick with Hartley or Wilf O'Kell when buying a FC boat...Hartley (NZ) and Wilf O'Kell (AU) both have well proven track records in designing and building great FC boats.
BTW, A boat built in FC, if the builder stuck to the plans and followed the build instructions, will be no heavier than a same size boat built in Timber, steel or whatever.

Bill
Australia
G'Day Bill,

Well, I was really responding to Lauriesail and Wand's posts in the above. I firmly believe that extrapolating from successful short handed sailing in a Jeanneau 54 to an 64 foot FC ketch is not realistic, for the reasons expressed.

I don't know anything about Robert Clark's designs, but I have seen FC builds that were very poorly executed. Bad execution surely trumps good design, and so far we don't know anything about who built this large yacht.

When well done, I agree that FC can be strong and look just fine. Not all are well done in the real world, sad to say.

And as to FC being no heavier than other media... well, my timber composite boat, 46' OAL, 44' LWL, 13'10" max beam had an empty launch weight of 9 1/2 tonnes. Can you point out a similar size FC boat that is anywhere near that weight in design, let alone actual launch weight? Not that it really matters, and many don't believe that being light is an advantage, but I disagree with your sweeping statement about relative weights

I too wonder what has happened to the OP and his quest? Will be interesting to see which way he goes (if he really does buy a boat). I wish him and his family good luck!

Jim
Old 16-11-2013, 21:13   #56

Quote:
G'Day Bill,

Well, I was really responding to Lauriesail and Wand's posts in the above. I firmly believe that extrapolating from successful short handed sailing in a Jeanneau 54 to an 64 foot FC ketch is not realistic, for the reasons expressed.

I don't know anything about Robert Clark's designs, but I have seen FC builds that were very poorly executed. Bad execution surely trumps good design, and so far we don't know anything about who built this large yacht.

When well done, I agree that FC can be strong and look just fine. Not all are well done in the real world, sad to say.

And as to FC being no heavier than other media... well, my timber composite boat, 46' OAL, 44' LWL, 13'10" max beam had an empty launch weight of 9 1/2 tonnes. Can you point out a similar size FC boat that is anywhere near that weight in design, let alone actual launch weight? Not that it really matters, and many don't believe that being light is an advantage, but I disagree with your sweeping statement about relative weights

I too wonder what has happened to the OP and his quest? Will be interesting to see which way he goes (if he really does buy a boat). I wish him and his family good luck!

Jim
G'day Jim,

I've noticed quite a few people post questions on CF, then disappear for whatever reason.
I should have pointed-out the weight comparison, FC with Timber, Steel and solid glass, is applicable to boats 45' and over. Under 45' a FC boat is heavier I'm in the market for a new-to-me boat and so-far I have one FC Hartley Tahitian 52, designed and built by Hartley in New Zealand. One Trimaran, a Foam sandwich Harris Sun-downer 42, (I know less than nothing about Foam sandwich boats) and one 43' FC English FISHER Design Motor Sailor. I like all three vessels, now I just need the chance to get away to inspect the vessels before buying the one I believe would best suit my needs.

Cheers Jim,

Bill
Australia
Old 16-11-2013, 23:24   #57

Boat: 45ft Ketch

That Fisher is about 100m away from me Bill. Its a man's boat and plenty of fuel for doing your thing without worrying about favourable winds. You could choose a calm weather window and motor all the way to Au without putting the sails up. Good price.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 03:14   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
That Fisher is about 100m away from me Bill. Its a man's boat and plenty of fuel for doing your thing without worrying about favourable winds. You could choose a calm weather window and motor all the way to Au without putting the sails up. Good price.
G'day DM,

Yes mate, that Fisher looks like the fishing-boat I worked with some 45 years back when I was running out of Brixham in Devon, UK. She looks like a great sea-boat and I believe it is a good price. I've had it on my watch list for some time so I know how much the seller has dropped the price but I just can't get away (personal reasons) to inspect any boat, for me life has been like that for some time now.
The Hartley Tahitian 52 is also, I believe, a good buy and that boat is here in AU, having just returned from Thailand. No import hassle and I reckon I could get the Hartley for the same asking price as the Fisher, 50 grand but in Ozzie dollars
I also like the look of the Harris Sundowner 42 Tri I have on my watch list, it too is in Oz. The asking price is 75 grand so buying either of the other two FC boats would see a saving of 25 grand. Anyway, as I said in my earlier post, I know nothing about Foam Sandwich boats. I do know being a lightly built Tri, it would be a pretty fast boat and draw less water than the Hartley or the Fisher and that may better suit my requirements, which is living aboard full-time, cruising the East coast and Top-End of Oz, with perhaps a fair amount of time in SE Asia. I have read water getting into the Foam can destroy the boat under your feet but as I have said, I know nothing about Foam Sandwich boats. I can't make a move at present but who knows, that could quickly change.

Cheers,

Bill
Australia
Old 26-11-2013, 19:29   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

The former owners of my 65 foot sailboat found out first hand that the real question was the rig. They had a Bermuda sloop. with a 79 foot mast. It took them too long to reef. Remember a reef may have to be put in during rough weather, in the middle of the night.

If one of you is tending sick kids, that leaves just one to put in a reef while standing on the pilot house roof.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 02:34   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Wind View Post
The former owners of my 65 foot sailboat found out first hand that the real question was the rig. They had a Bermuda sloop. with a 79 foot mast. It took them too long to reef. Remember a reef may have to be put in during rough weather, in the middle of the night.

If one of you is tending sick kids, that leaves just one to put in a reef while standing on the pilot house roof.
Why not just rig a jiffy reefing system, and lead the lines aft?

Tags
round the world, sail, yacht