Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2023, 16:59   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
bar harbor airport dinghy pickup

Is it a viable idea to pick someone up by dinghy who is arriving at the bar harbor airport? It looks like there's a boat ramp at the Morris Yachts facility, less than half a mile from the cape air terminal.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 04:14   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: bar harbor airport dinghy pickup

There's the Island Explorer bus which has a route to/from the airport. There are routes everywhere on Mt. Desert and to Ellsworth. Most marinas are on the route. We like Northeast Harbor because the bus stops right in front. Southwest Harbor works too, but it's up a hill to the stop. Some anchorages might require a bit of research to find the best dinghy landing in relation to the bus route. Of course the best anchorages are the most remote ones
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 07:41   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

The airport for Bar Harbor is not on the island. It is in Trenton. There are busses that go there but they only go to Bar Harbor without a transfer. A taxi ride is probably the best idea. If you are going to fetch the folks coming in, then anchoring off Bar Harbor is probably the best option because you should be able to get a taxi in town. If you are going to let them come to you at the boat, then Bar Harbor or NE Harbor are OK but the taxi fare to NE Hbr will be more. SW Harbor is also OK but there is less traffic down that side of the sound so taxi service will be more difficult.
AnsleyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 09:08   #4

Thanks for the replies guys, but that's not what I'm asking.

It looks like the launch ramp next to the airport is for seaplanes and a public county launch ramp, not a private ramp owned by Morris Yachts, so I think it shouldn't be a problem to just pull up in my dinghy.
Old 29-04-2023, 09:46   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

I think that you are correct. Your crew can walk down to the ramp and meet you but I don't think that you should leave the dinghy on the ramp while you go to the airport. No floats there.
AnsleyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 09:50   #6

Navionics shows the ramp at the airport as drying out so you would have to time your pickup. A better option would be for your guests to get the Island Explorer bus service which runs hourly (break from around 10 til 2) to Bar Harbor Village Green. Schedule for 2023 hasn't been finalized yet but should start in June. Anchor boat on north side of the bar in front of College of the Atlantic and dinghy to Town Dock. You can run your dinghy over the bar comfortably at higher tides or go round Bar Island at any tide.

If you guests are arriving before the Explorer starts up, they could taxi to Bar Harbor Boat Company at Hulls Cove (207-288-5797)
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 09:51   #7

Thanks, good point AnsleyS.
Old 29-04-2023, 09:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senojev View Post
Navionics shows the ramp at the airport as drying out so you would have to time your pickup. A better option would be for your guests to get the Island Explorer bus service which runs hourly (break from around 10 til 2) to Bar Harbor Village Green. Schedule for 2023 hasn't been finalized yet but should start in June. Anchor boat on north side of the bar in front of College of the Atlantic and dinghy to Town Dock. You can run your dinghy over the bar comfortably at higher tides or go round Bar Island at any tide.

If you guests are arriving before the Explorer starts up, they could taxi to Bar Harbor Boat Company at Hulls Cove (207-288-5797)
Thanks, I'll look into that and keep it in mind. Still, it seems likely that we can make the boat ramp work.
Old 30-04-2023, 07:24   #9

Let us know how the ramp pickup works out.

As for the bus, you most certainly can transfer at the Village Green hub (Bar Harbor) for anywhere on the island, and all the way to Ellsworth. The airport in Trenton is along the Ellsworth route. Oh, and it's free, so I guess technically you can't "buy" a transfer. Just hop on whichever bus you need. There's an information booth right there at the Green, so if this is too confusing just ask.

I should add that Bar Harbor itself is basically Maine's biggest tourist trap. A great place to walk around for a day, just to say you've been there. But beyond that, not much to offer cruisers.
Old 30-04-2023, 07:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I should add that Bar Harbor itself is basically Maine's biggest tourist trap. A great place to walk around for a day, just to say you've been there. But beyond that, not much to offer cruisers.
Yeah, I agree, but I'll be heading up there to meet up with a family reunion, most of the people coming from the west coast and never having been to Maine. So a bit of touristy lobster roll stuff and easy access to great hikes and scenery should work pretty well.
Old 30-04-2023, 08:23   #11

Not that it helps the OP in the slightest, but the Raiatea airport has a dinghy dock that is closer to the terminal than the parking lot where you grab a wheeled taxi You have to dinghy about a half-mile/kilometer down the runway, they have a set of lights at each end that closes the channel during takeoffs and landings.

PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 09:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Yeah, I agree, but I'll be heading up there to meet up with a family reunion, most of the people coming from the west coast and never having been to Maine. So a bit of touristy lobster roll stuff and easy access to great hikes and scenery should work pretty well.
Of course. I just wanted to point out that Bar Harbor is just one town. The whole region is beautiful. Bar Harbor is fun, but there are even better places to stay, ashore or on a boat.

Tags
airport, dinghy