Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2018, 04:53   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
A tiny miracle- no, really! a miracle!

My voltage gauge has been pinned past 16V for years. I bought a new one a couple months ago but never got around to installing it.

Then Saturday it caused problems, somehow making the alarm buzzer go off constantly when the key was on. It was definitely time to fix it.

Of course, the replacement gauge, I find out after disassembling the panel, doesn't have the same connectors. So I went to the marina just before closing and bought what I thought was the right wire terminal.

Two days later we'd heard enough of the alarm, so I again disassembled the panel to install the new gauge. As luck would have it (actually Pisz Poor Planning) I'd bought the wrong wire terminal. And (again Pisz Poor Planning) the marina was closed for the evening. Ugh.

So I re-assembled the panel with the old buzzy gauge and picked up my tools. Going down the companionway to store the tools I see a small plastic bag on the chart table. A bag with five or six wire terminals that are exactly what I need.

Now, I did not buy that bag of terminals. Nor had it been on the boat- I've had the boat for 23 years and I know everything on it. I had never seen that bag before, and it wasn't there when I started the project 20 minutes earlier.

I had not been off the boat. Nobody came on the boat. The wife hadn't been off the boat, and she wouldn't know what to get anyway. Even if the Marina had been open, they didn't have the wire terminal I needed.

Where did this bag of correct wire terminals suddenly come from? Truly, I have no idea! It miraculously appeared!

Now I'm not particularly religious, though I've heard "The Lord works in mysterious ways." And not to question motives, but wire terminals? I don't want to sound unappreciative, but there are a few bigger miracles I could really, really use.

The new gauge is installed now, but I still ponder how that bag of terminals came to sit on the chart table.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote