Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 06:28   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
2022 Virtual Toronto Boat Show

Anyone else "attending"? It's online again this year, and free to attend.

https://www.torontoboatshow.com/

I'll be hanging out to listen to a few seminars.
Old 26-01-2022, 13:51   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: 2022 Virtual Toronto Boat Show

I was going to use it to get the attention of a few insurance companies - mine wants the 5-year survey done sometime in the next year and I figure that's the occasion to line up the contacts for comparison shopping.
Old 26-01-2022, 14:26   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I'm going to give it a shot, never been to a virtual one. The last in-person shows were not really up to par, specially on equipment and that is all I attend for, and sailboats are less and less present, so I don't have my expectations up too high. I'm looking for a fridge/ice box convertion kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I was going to use it to get the attention of a few insurance companies - mine wants the 5-year survey done sometime in the next year and I figure that's the occasion to line up the contacts for comparison shopping.
Good luck, I had to do to this last year, and the 5 year survey got me by surprise. I shopped around, can't scape it if you have a good old boat.
Better to go shopping for a surveyor, and I have a very good down-to-earth guy to recommend if you want.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 14:40   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

Good luck, I had to do to this last year, and the 5 year survey got me by surprise. I shopped around, can't scape it if you have a good old boat.
Better to go shopping for a surveyor, and I have a very good down-to-earth guy to recommend if you want.
I'm east of Kingston - is your guy close enough to get there without [excessive] travel costs? I have one or two names but could always use a recommendation.
Old 26-01-2022, 14:48   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
I'm east of Kingston - is your guy close enough to get there without [excessive] travel costs? I have one or two names but could always use a recommendation.
He is in Pickering or Oshawa, I dont remember. Kingston could pose a problem but if yours dont work out let me know. Talk to them first and ask what they will be looking for, to give you a heads up on prep. Some of them are too "picky". My boat was built in 1967 and it always raise eyebrows on the mention of a survey, but it is in top shape.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 14:48   #6

I really miss the actual Toronto Boat Show. It was the one bright spot of winter that allows us to dream of summer, make boating plans, get some boating retail therapy... who doesn't need new fenders or another boathook? I also finally know enough vendors and other sailors that the boatshow was a great reunion. I usually went two days.

I will check out the online one, but it ain't the same.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 15:00   #7

Quote:
Yup, a good time. When I faced this ridiculous demand that's what I did, and I ended up saving nearly 30% by going with a new broker/underwriter.

Of course two years after that my new broker dropped us because they claimed their underwriter would no longer insure old boats like mine. This forced me to find yet another broker who actually did the job ,and found me yet another underwriter. Got full coverage, at a cheaper rate. And no immediate demand for a new survey.

So it definitely pays to shop around.
Old 26-01-2022, 15:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I really miss the actual Toronto Boat Show. It was the one bright spot of winter that allows us to dream of summer, make boating plans, get some boating retail therapy... who doesn't need new fenders or another boathook? I also finally know enough vendors and other sailors that the boatshow was a great reunion. I usually went two days.

I will check out the online one, but it ain't the same.
No... definitely not the same. I'm just there for the seminars, which are always interesting, and sometimes inspiring.

I attended the show almost every year through the 2000s. I started going when the hotel deals were something like $69/night at the Harbour Castle. It was the best way to get a cheap hotel in Toronto. Those were the years we were outfitting our boats, so I could make the excuse that it was all worth it. And we did manage to save big time on a few large-ticket items by running back and forth between vendors, getting them to one-up the competition.

Virtual is a long way from this, but at least it's better than perpetual Covid wars on CF .
Old 26-01-2022, 15:13   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Well Mike, let me buy you a virtual beer! IPA is it? I'll just virtually drive to Kingston, grab you a nice virtual custom IPA, virtually drive it to Toronto at 220kph, and virtually deliver it to you at the show!
Old 26-01-2022, 15:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Well Mike, let me buy you a virtual beer! IPA is it? I'll just virtually drive to Kingston, grab you a nice virtual custom IPA, virtually drive it to Toronto at 220kph, and virtually deliver it to you at the show!
I feel virtually honoured .

I'd love to raise a real beer with you (preferably a bitter IPA, or a chocolatey/coffee porter). Maybe someday...
Old 26-01-2022, 15:27   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Well on the upside it can't be any worse than last years virtual boat show!!! it was just unusable last year! Hopefully the seminars work this year (most of them didn't last year)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 19:11   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I "attended" last year's virtual, and am doing the same this year. Found I could actually catch more of the seminars than when attending for 2-2.5 days in person and walking the booths. Miss the booths, hands-on, and the deals, but better than sitting at home watching Netflix at -25C.

Also miss the Boston Pizza "Tuscan" at the Kingston Supercharger on the way from Montreal, but I've learned to make a decent approximation at home.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 03:46   #13

Amazing how it swung 180 degrees virtually overnight...

I got an email reminder just before Christmas "TIBS will be back to in-person this year!" and then the Omicron wave (all the schoolkids brought it home just before Christmas and my neighbourhood had a brief flare-up when everyone seemed to get it or had just gotten over it). Then renewed restrictions and now all this virtual scrambling.

I'm really sorry about that pivot, as I, too, was looking forward to that high point in our Winter, walking around the Show, talking with other boaters and sailors.

Virtual craft beer just ain't gonna cut it, is it?
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 04:37   #14

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I would love to join you but I think I'll be taking a virtual cruise along the Rio Dulce and drinking Clos (a semi palatable red wine out of a carton at somewhere around $4 a gallon)
Bill
High and dry north of Napanee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 05:38   #15

Spent yesterday attending three seminars. All very interesting. Lots of beautiful pics and stories. And I learned a little more about rigging inspections, so all in all, a pretty good day. Certainly worth more than the price of entry ($0).

Tags
boat, boat show