Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2021, 07:30   #1
cruiser

Through holes

Berth sorted.
Now a boat.

There's a free never launched Roberts Mauritius 43 for sale interstate.
$1
Includes hull with no holes!
Deck beams in place, no deck.
Ketch masts, new diesel.
Rudder, water tank, stainless BBQ.

Tomorrow I plan to visit local boatyards and figure cost of dry maintenance dock 12-24 months if possible. If budget able, ring broker, determine trucking fees and if all flowing, fly there to look.

I'd rather very secure deck plugs that physically lock to lanyard bucket fill ballast tank salt. Ditto again ballast tank fresh. Water maker can transfer contents.
I require engine due to marina policy but figure I'd have time to organise electric sizable and secure a decent bank low on keel with minimal power coupling length but contained from flood via a lid of high breathing snorkel. That's 2 through holes. Rudder, prop shaft.

Cockpit drainage, could probably lead aft but seeing work to be done I'd want a sealable rear cabin, sealable rear aft passages. Sealable fore and fore quarter sections.

Aim. Low maintenance long term voyager after work years.
Thinking pumps to cockpit and large cockpit drains should take care of shower and galley ballast. Toilet ballast not required, cruised before with a bucket and lanyard. Even a portapot would do.
Aim. Reduce hull flow disturbance plus keep an easy dry bilge vessel.

Deck. Basic. No deck there so would probably sell new ketch masts to fund a 3 stick Junk Rig.
I'd rather an automatic square in many ways but reefing, and reloading propulsion requiring aft fetch to turn run just ain't as easy as a throated load of Junk. But automatically reaching into beat at a reduced breath rate.

Electronics can be loaded later. Am I missing something I haven't seen in thought? I would rather the tide sail of a full keel but happy with seaworthy and such performance reduction of what might be on offer; I haven't asked yet. Still budget stage.

I like idea though. Could hammock bunks as sail area cuts and carry spares without hasling stow.

I more prefer the no hole hull though. We saw plenty of storms. We always stayed dry bilge including nights of saturated oil skins. Bucket met water requirements.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote